Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Unshined2

Default What is this?

I'd just like to get the engine running on my '59 galaxie. The engine is a 292 with OD 3speed. Someone swapped in a straight 3speed and the wiring is kind of a mess. Can anyone tell me what this resistor looking thing is next my coil. It is wired to the distributor side of the coil. Is it needed?

There is a ballast resistor also wired up to the other side of the coil.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resistor.jpg (79.1 KB, 48 views)
Unshined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: What is this?

Yes it's a ballast resistor, but only one is needed. The wiring to one of them may be bypassed if it's bad. If both are connected you won't get a usable spark.
Disconnect the one on the distributor side of the coil and reconnect the distributor/points wire to the '-' terminal on the coil.
Use a voltmeter to check the two resistors from the engine for approx 7v / 9v thru them and use the one you like.
FYI, some resistors can have an intermittent connection caused by loose or rusty rivets holding the terminals.

The 'run' position power wire from the ignition key switch connects to one terminal of the ballast resistor, the other terminal on the ballast resistor connects to the '+' terminal of the coil.

The 'start' position power wire from the ignition key switch connects to the 'S' terminal of the starter solenoid. (photo below)
The other end of the wire on the 'I' terminal should be connected to a terminal for the '+' side of the coil.

If your large battery and starter cables are reversed to what's shown in the diagram that's ok, the solenoid is a switch and those main power connections work the same either way.
Just get the 'S' and 'I' terminal wiring correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid - 4 Terminal Wiring.jpg (178.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 04-11-2016 at 11:22 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I suggest removing the coil and turning around the way it is supposed to be. The coil wiring terminals should be facing out over the valve cover. The way it is installed now, you can see that they have bent the heck out of the coil bracket to get it to fit over the intake manifold. Put the resistor back in the same spot where it is located now.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
.... Put the resistor back in the same spot where it is located now.
On a '59 Galaxie would the original position for the resistor be up on the firewall near the distributor, or next to the coil? It might matter for distance from the engine heat? I'm guessing here.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote