Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1
Unshined2

Question Merc-o-matic fluid

What are you folks out there running for fluid in your Merc-o-matics?

I have a 52 Mercury with a Merc-o Matic that hasnt ran for at least 25 yrs. would like to start the car and just drive around a little, be able to drive on the trailer, etc...

Thanks
Unshined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: Merc-o-matic fluid

Type F ATF was used.
It was superseded by one of the modern oils. Check the labels at your auto parts store.
Bruce
Old 02-20-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

As stated type 'F'. Available at most suppliers including Walmart.
That's all I have ever used in my Merc-O-matic.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech...ype-F/16213434
Old 02-20-2016, 07:07 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Type F is still around.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #5
Unshined2

Excellent---Easy find. Thanks much
Unshined2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
paul2748

Type A was the original. I've used type F with no problems.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Reminds me of Ralph's old Merc that posts here on the Barn. His car set for a long time too but he has been bringing it back to life.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #8
Drbrown

The "O-Matic's" are tough units. Had a '53 Merc as a teen and it took all the abuse I gave it.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 AM   #9
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unshined2 View Post
What are you folks out there running for fluid in your Merc-o-matics?

I have a 52 Mercury with a Merc-o Matic that hasnt ran for at least 25 yrs. would like to start the car and just drive around a little, be able to drive on the trailer, etc...

Thanks
That is interesting to hear another 52 Mercomatic out there. We don't see as many of the 52s as 53 and up. I did get some new Type F (or equivalent) to do a change on mine but have not done it yet. The old oil (probably 50 years old) works just finen so far. I have added a litre of Dexron III as it was a bit low and so far all is well. Of course I only make short runs of a couple of miles or so. Not street legal yet.
https://youtu.be/7SKkJwaq5Xk
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #10
GB SISSON

So you guys are saying the mercomatic is a good tranny? I might be able to get a '52 merc engine with it's automatic transmission locally. This would be for my '47 1/2 ton I'm converting to a woodie. Other than drive shaft and the water pumps, any major modifications required? Have been searching for a 3 speed pickup type manual transmission, but maybe?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58 AM   #11
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
So you guys are saying the mercomatic is a good tranny? I might be able to get a '52 merc engine with it's automatic transmission locally. This would be for my '47 1/2 ton I'm converting to a woodie. Other than drive shaft and the water pumps, any major modifications required? Have been searching for a 3 speed pickup type manual transmission, but maybe?
Rear end gear ratio in the truck would most likely not be compatible with the Merc-O-matic.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
rotorwrench

I wouldn't use one in a pickup unless it came from the factory that way. The old small & medium case Borg Warner automatics can be problematic and the giant air cooled torque converter is not my favorite part of the mix. They nearly always have some quirk that you have to deal with at some point. When they are right, they are fantastic but when they are not, they can be a nightmare.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:38 AM   #13
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I wouldn't use one in a pickup unless it came from the factory that way. The old small & medium case Borg Warner automatics can be problematic and the giant air cooled torque converter is not my favorite part of the mix. They nearly always have some quirk that you have to deal with at some point. When they are right, they are fantastic but when they are not, they can be a nightmare.
I am pretty happy with the old factory original Mercomatic since it has been pretty much trouble free since new as far as I know. I think Ford first offered them in pickups in either 52 or 53 but it was a rare thing to find one. I knew of one locally. Long gone.
Dad's 52 Merc sedan had a trailer hitch when he bought the car in 59. I don't know what the previous owner pulled with the car but obviously it did not wear out the transmission. This one could use a band adjustment as it is a pretty harsh upshift if I go manually from low to drive.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
GB SISSON

Thanks guys , It's a lot of money too. Says engine was pulled with 47,000 miles on it. 1500.00 CL Skagit WA. Located in Friday Harbor on a neighboring island. I'll wait for a 3 speed manual. Here's a 59AB with a 3 speed said to come from a '39 roadster, but looks like it's for an enclosed driveline. How do I indenify the right truck 3 speed that's a bolt in? I hope this isn't considered hijack. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kenny w 3 spd.jpg (23.5 KB, 30 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #15
corvette8n

My Dad had a 53 Mercomatic, six of us would pile in the 2 door car with a 14ft boat on the back and we would drive to the lake every Saturday in the summer, never had a problem with the tranny.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:34 PM   #16
GB SISSON

Smile Re: Merc-o-matic fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
My Dad had a 53 Mercomatic, six of us would pile in the 2 door car with a 14ft boat on the back and we would drive to the lake every Saturday in the summer, never had a problem with the tranny.
Sounds like an Alan Jackson song.....
Old 02-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #17
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Sounds like an Alan Jackson song.....
Way down yonder on the Chatahoochie. Now we are getting seriously off topic
Old 02-22-2016, 02:27 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Original fluid was Type A. Type F didn't come along until 1964 or so with the C4 trans, as best I remember.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The problem is the year of the transmission is not the major factor, it is what is in the transmission. Original clutch disk and bands in the early transmissions used one type of material which was changed to a different material in the later years (Ford switched in the 1970s and 80s depending on the transmission). If the transmission is original or rebuilt in the time period before this change it will have the original material (asbestos) in it, if rebuilt later it most likely has the newer (organic) material in it. It is the clutch/band material that determines the type of fluid required.

From the Modil site:

"The frictional characteristics of an automatic transmission fluid are an important factor in the design and operation of the transmission. All Ford transmissions built prior to 1977, and certain models that continued in use during 1977-1980, were designed for a high-friction fluid that allowed the shifting clutches to lock up or engage quickly. Ford specification ESW-M2C33-F covers this type of product, which is commonly referred to as "Type F" fluid.

These vehicles are identified as:
• All 1976 and earlier Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury models of cars, vans, and light trucks;
• All 1977-1980 models having either ESW-M2C33-F or no number at all stamped on the transmission dipstick"

Kultulz posted these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FORD Trans Fluid.jpg (112.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg TYPE F ATF TSB No.2 9-12-67 .jpg (83.1 KB, 7 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #20
wbedwards

That was a good read Jseery! thanks
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote