Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
JR48

Default Installing a Columbia 2-speed in to my 34 Cabriolet

At present I have my 34 Cabriolet body off the chassis and am planning to replace the diff with a re-conditioned Columbia 2-speed diff. What is the correct sequence of the work required to achieve this? I will need to re-use the present rear spring, drive shaft / torque tube, and brake rods.
At present the rear end is up on trestles and the Columbia will need the newly re-conditioned drums, pads, backing plates and Flathead Ted’s ‘brake energisers’ to be installed onto the hubs.
For instance is there any advantage in leaving the spring bolted into position and presenting the Columbia to it? I know there are tricks to handling the rear spring. Any suggestions welcome.
JR48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Installing a Columbia 2-speed in to my 34 Cabriolet

if you have the spring apart, i like to mount the main leaf only on to the perches, then assemble the stack of springs on to that. otherwise, you need to use a spreader to safely get the spring on the rear end. if the spring is still on the car, it may be time to clean it all up and do the new shackles while your there, and then reassemble the spring on the axle main leaf first.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 07:16 AM   #3
jimTN

Default Re: Installing a Columbia 2-speed in to my 34 Cabriolet

If the housings are converted to 34, everything related to the spring is just the same as a regular rear end. If not, then there is a lot of work involved to get the correct spring hangers or spring set up that will place the wheelbase in the correct spot.
Once the rear end is installed, it is a lot easier to install the vac lines and related hardware with the body off.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote