Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #1
Drbrown

Default Gas Additive Observation

Based on various forum posts, been using Sea Foam additive in my gas. I started because engine was experiencing sticky valves. I also use MMO in the gas with it and always use 10w-30 oil. Don't know which or if the combo did the job but the sticky valves disappeared.

So started using Sea Foam in our 2003 VW because the throttle valve and injectors were acting up. That problem then went-away.

Where I live Sea Foam retails over the counter at between $6.5 (wally world) and $11 at auto stores (buying jugs lowers the unit cost a little). Today in WW I see the Sea Foam label indicates it does not make the product, only markets it out of MN. Six feet away on the shelf is an identical container labeled "Berryman B-12 ..." Part #0116 made in USA by Berryman in TX. It retails there for under $4. So I'm trying Mr. "Berryman" for the 13 yr-old fuel injectors, which should indicate if there's a difference.

Last edited by Drbrown; 03-28-2016 at 12:37 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Joe Immler

Default Re: Gas Additive Observation

Good catch. Let us know how it works.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #3
Fordors

Along those lines I tried Chevron Techron fuel additive when my wife's Saturn Vue gas gauge would not read above 3/4 full. As recommended on line it removed sulfur deposits from the sending unit with one treatment, best $9 for 20 oz. I ever spent.
Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
Along those lines I tried Chevron Techron fuel additive when my wife's Saturn Vue gas gauge would not read above 3/4 full. As recommended on line it removed sulfur deposits from the sending unit with one treatment, best $9 for 20 oz. I ever spent.
I too have experienced remarkable results with Chevron Techron. After a long winters nap, my '53 was awakened to a nasty fuel delivery problem - terrible hesitation and rough idling. I was going to replace the carb with a spare but decided to use the Techron first. The result was impressive as it resolved the problems....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:26 PM   #5
Drbrown

Fordors: It never occurred to me that some types of fuel tank sender units might benefit. My '47 has its workings enclosed above the top of the tank so probably wouldn't help unless the gas sloshed-around a lot.

But ... you make me think that maybe it was additives that dissolved the coating on the cork float of my sender unit. It was saturated and read empty. I just replaced the cork with a snap-in vinyl-type bulb and works fine (for now; until the additives dissolve that).
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote