Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2017, 05:14 PM   #21
flatford8

Default Re: Trophies pros and cons

Im with Ol'Ron.....My only trophy sleeps in the garage and carries my old ass to work..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:17 AM   #22
cordbob

Not a trophy guy either.I love to"loiter " around any type of cars vintage, muscle, exotic etc .I just love cars and can admire and appreciate attention to detail, level of craftsmanship and ingenuity. But to me cars are subjective like art and should be enjoyed not judged and above all driven.
cordbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:42 AM   #23
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwindowjim View Post
I am one of the founding members of a local car show that is now in it's 40th year, and am finding that our show, while it is fun for the 1,000 cars and thousands of people who attend, is getting to be less fun and more work. So I am sending out a help message to anyone who would care to give their opinion on the importance of trophies.

It is a lot of work to get donations for the 40 trophies we give out at the show along with Ballot counting, transporting them, finding out where to locate the people who won, and where to mail the trophy, etc.

One of the other problems is that certain people go around asking if you are using your vote ballot so they can collect them and vote for their car, or asking all their friends to vote for their car, or asking to change classes because there are too many cars in that class.

There are other shows in the area that give away money instead, and it seems to me that by and large, the participants are just as happy.

The problem is that we set a precedent 40 years ago when we started to give them away.

What should we do??
My vote would be to go for change. Doing something like you've always done it is not a good reason to continue doing it that way. I've found that change for a good reason is usually positive.
I've never won a trophy at a car show, and could care less if I ever do, but I have received some awards in the form of plaques, certificates, tag toppers, etc., during the Early Ford V-8 Club Meets.
To me it's more about meeting up with old and new friends at the shows, admiring the cars, and maybe finding a few good deals on parts or accessories I've been searching for for my cars.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:12 AM   #24
Kurt in NJ

Stir it up, new trophy classes---loudest mechanical noises from engine-----most rust------baldest tires-----most oil lesks
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #25
deuce_roadster

Kurt, that already exists if you attend a rat rod event.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #26
redmodelt

Winning a trophy from a national or regional club would be one thing anything else is just more clutter. My cars are drivers and I already get enough exposure just having them out where people can see them.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:26 PM   #27
RB

My favorite trophies were not earned by me, but rather in part by the competitiveness of a 32 ford (now in my possession) dirt car & now 94 year old family friend owner/builder/driver dating from 1948 to 1973 when he retired. The 60+ trophies were for the most part from the 50's-60's which I acquired to further document the race history of the 32 & local race favorite driver. I might ad the fact the trophies are unique as each are adorned with the likeness of the early track cars of the time period.

Last edited by RB; 04-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #28
Ross F-1

Best shows IMO are where there is variety, low pressure, and cars are DRIVEN to the show. Focus on camaraderie, decent food available, clean restrooms. NO loud '50's music!!

I'm with the "I don't get it" crowd, tho. I know a guy with a Dearborn-quality resto, he has entered it in over 70 shows in the last year. He wins trophies regularly, sits next to the vehicle throughout the entire show to make sure no one gets near it. Won't even let the judges open the doors, he insists on doing it. Needless to say he trailers the vehicle to and from all shows, despite having spent $3k on an engine rebuild. I've got better things to do with my life.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #29
Oakhurst

While we have won many trophies, recently more and more local shows have trophies consisting of various car parts welded together to form great art pieces, made by the local high school shop classes. They are admired and loved by everyone. We seldom take a car to a show, we would rather browse and talk to other owners. However we always try to attend the L A Roadster show in Pomona CA, where any open car, roadster, cabriolet or phaeton 36 or earlier gets in free, and is awarded a beautiful pewter mug and dinner for two.
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #30
bill3337

I know trophies mean a lot to a lot of guys and they won't bring their cars unless there's a chance at winning a trophy, but our club discontinued trophies a few years ago, and now advertise our show as a picnic/show and shine. We still get a good attendance and everyone enjoys just looking at the cars, talking with old friends, having a nice lunch etc and no one bitches and complains or has hurt feelings because they didn't win a trophy.
bill3337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #31
fourfords

["One of the other problems is that certain people go around asking if you are using your vote ballot so they can collect them and vote for their car, or asking all their friends to vote for their car, or asking to change classes because there are too many cars in that class."]

Nothing wrong with being acknowledged by your peers for a job well done. Just understand that some car owners want to be known for their car more than they want to be known for their integrity. Your challenge may be to recognize both. If you can do that, Your award no matter what it is, will be very valuable.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM   #32
RalphM

I never received any car show trophies, did get a door prize once.
I don't really care one way or the other, didn't build the car to win a trophy, just to drive and enjoy.
I did receive a rotating trophy by our local car club for most improved vehicle last December. Really wasn't expecting it, so it was a nice surprise. Now I have to get some help and pick a winner for this year to take the trophy from me. Oh well, at least I'll have a picture of it.
We have a lot of small cars shows in town here, couple hours long. If you get tired you go home, or go for a drive and come back. Our club has a big three day show on Memorial Day weekend. But I don't like putting my car in there because it's locked in for three days, in our very short summers here, three days is a lot of time I can be out driving. I. Need to finish another car so I can show one and drive one!!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #33
Tony Martino

This is just my $.02.
I just sold my avatar '31 Vintage hot rod.
I really don't care about trophys at all.
I won 13 trophys for this car. I accepted
all of them graciously, but how many guys
got pissed off because I won them?
If you really need trophys, you need to go to
the shows that are very specific to the type
of car yours is. Not everybody will ever agree with
the judges!
Drive your cars, enjoy the ride!
If you win a trophy, it makes at least
2 people that like your car!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P7220022.jpg (86.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #34
Tim Brown

If I wanted a trophy, I could buy one for way less money than I've spent on the car. I vote for no trophy and a lot less work for the promoters.
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:29 PM   #35
Straightpipes

I dailt drive my 34 and 35. I pulled into one of those fast food drive in places and saw that they had a car show going on. All of thr cars were regulars there all trying for the weekly trophy. Well, I won my one and only trophy because I was the only car there that had not won before.
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #36
paul2748

I agree with this 100%. I restored my 56 Bird and drove it (twice) across country (NJ to CA) and back. I enjoy my car. I cannot see parking a car in your garage almost all year and then one or two weeks in the year loading it in a trailer to go to some show for a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planojc View Post
Spending thousands of dollars restoring a car, buying a high dollar car hauler to tow it, and sitting in the hot sun at a car show, just for a $10.00 trophy is not for me. Restore em and drive em. I just got back from a 800 mile trip in my 39 Ford.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:35 PM   #37
GB SISSON

As an antique ford truck owner/collector enthusiast since I was 19, (AA ford in 1972) I have only entered one car show. It was on Orcas Island where I live. However, I have been involved in the antique tractor/stationary engine hobby and haven't missed displaying at the show at Lynden Wa for 29 years. I rarely go to other shows of this type, like 3 times.... Thing is about these shows is the folks are adamant about no judging and always have been. When I started, many participants said that in their estimation the judging and trophies ruined the antique car hobby and were determined not to let it happen. After all how could a father/son team showing a model A with 'as found' parts to make it run compete with the big money guys. They would always lose. At least at the huge 4 day Lynden show, everyone gets a dash plaque (it used to be a show ribbon) whether you are a nine year old kid who painted up his grandpa's old lawn tractor with a brush and ran it through the parade of power or you were the guy that pulled in with 9 immaculate early John Deeres angle loaded on a low boy trailer behind your semi. Same prize. 'Nuff said.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:08 AM   #38
38coop

I would rather win the 50/50 drawing.
38coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:33 AM   #39
Frank Miller

Go with no trophies this year. You've stated valid reasons as manpower and time. If you get complaints tell them there is a trophy committee sign up sheet for them to put their name and contact info on and with enough volunteers you'll revive it. That should settle it.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:16 PM   #40
redmodelt

One guy posted about winning or placing in a car race, now that would be a whole different kettle of fish with a lot more meaning behind them.