Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2018, 05:01 PM   #1
larry harding

Default another horn question

i'm definitly going to rewind the coils for 12 v. my question is did you guys rewind the coils in place on the u shaped frame(looks difficult) or remove the metal core and coil to do the work. the metal core looks to be tightly staked to the frame.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Badpuppy

Default Re: another horn question

From what I last quoted in your previous thread, it appears you can leave the core in place. I'm guessing the armature is removed.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #3
larry harding

yea i've got it as far apart as i can get it. it would be nice if the coil would slide off the metal core, but it doesn't look like that is possible. i'll bet these were wound then staked in the frame. unless someone knows different before i start ont them.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Tom Endy

The way I did it was to remove the front and rear of the horn. The center section contains the field coils. There is not need to disassemble further.

Mount the center section onto a piece of plywood with a couple of screws through any of the mounting holes. C-clamp the plywood to a work bench or table to make for a stable platform.

Unsolder the four connections, two at the brushes, two at the terminal. Work on one coil at a time and unwind it from the core. Pay attention which direction it was wound and which wire end connected to the brush and which end connected to the terminal. measure the length of the wire and replace it with the 24 gauge wire twice the length, about 20 feet.

Best to have two people do the job. One to start 20 feet away from the core and feed the wire, the second person to guide it around the core and pass it around for the first guy to go back out 20 feet and repeat the process. As the core is wound the distance will get shorter.

When complete solder the connections and put the horn back together. See attached photo. Also refer to the other horn post for the full article on how to do it.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf field coils.pdf (104.6 KB, 60 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Benson

Last edited by Benson; 07-23-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote