Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-16-2015, 08:24 PM   #1
hangarb7

Default zenith-1 carb...missing part?

holy cow, now I've seen everything.

I bought my '30 Tudor which was restored by two older gents many years ago, and it has been a decent tourer although I have struggled to keep it running well as I learn over the last 7 years. Part of that has been in no small part to the fact that the old gents left a lot of parts off the car. Too many to list.

On a tour last week (I posted this part on another thread) my car would suddenly not idle and needed a lot of throttle to start, which is extremely unusual, as this car starts very quickly and easily, and runs pretty well. Diagnosed as dirt in the carb.

I take the carb apart and it was clearly rebuilt at some point but dirt inside so I clean all the parts, blow it out and ready to reassemble. Get out the Les Andrews book and also my Rex Rehaus book on carb rebuilding and both of them mention a Secondary Well.

What? Not only does my carb not have one, but the spare carb I bought separately at a swap meet ALSO doesn't have one. What's up with that? Did old timers just leave them out? I can see the threads in the hole, and I can see the end of the cap jet at the bottom. Ordering two from Snyders tomorrow.

Why did they just leave them out?

Thanks,

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote