Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Detonator

Default Modern formula for Briarwood Brown?

Does anyone have a modern-day PPG formula for the '40 Standard dash color: Briarwood Brown? Thanks and Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
L78CHEVELLE

Default Re: Modern formula for Briarwood Brown?

This is what I can tell you about trying to match the Briarwood brown color for 1940. I have spent a lot of time and over $300 trying to get a correct match with every paint supplier I can find. The results was not close enough to the original color for me. The paint suppliers will tell you they have the match, but I can tell you they were not close enough for me. I even tried the camera deal on an old 1940 standard dash I had and the paint was not close enough. They did the camera deal three times with three different paint suppliers and every example was off from the original. I hope this will save you some money and time. You will just have to do the best you can with the match on the camera deal and go with it. The EPA or what ever has taken the ingredients used in the old paint formulas off the market.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
old henry 1934

i like to use DuPont (but they are all about the same) , did you go thru any of there spectra-master color chip books? if you can find something close, have the smallest amount mixed and do a spray out panel. you can get extra tints for that color and add very small amounts from there to match any existing original paint (if you have any) until you get a satisfying color match.. always spray another panel after adding a tint, (to see if you are going in the right direction with that tint) don't just dip a paint stick in the paint and look at it, it won't be accurate. also you need to keep track on how much of a tint you are using so you can mix larger amounts. its time consuming and it is not easy, but it can be done. i've done this for years, but then again, i did it for a living. the camera deal to me is a joke, its mainly just to get a color close enough to blend, alot of times that did'nt even work, especially on newer paints with pearls and some metallics. you might get the color close with looking at it head on, but the side tone would be way off. Jim
old henry 1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
19Fordy

I just went out to the garage and found the qt. can of Briarwood Brown I had mixed in 1988 so I could paint one small piece on my 40. It is acrylic lacquer. The mixer wrote the paint numbers on the can as shown. Perhaps they relate to the formula. Hope this helps.
Click on pic to enlarge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0871B.jpg (48.6 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0872B.jpg (41.4 KB, 66 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Detonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
The mixer wrote the paint numbers on the can as shown. Perhaps they relate to the formula. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I don't know enough about paint to know if these are measurements or tint colors...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
old henry 1934

those are tint color numbers, Jim
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #7
Detonator

So to match this, a guy would need to know the proportions of each? Are there also different base colors with which this recipe starts? I'd like to wind up with lamb stew, not split pea soup.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
old henry 1934

correct, you would need the correct amount of each tint, and of coarse that depends on how much product you are mixing. that formula includes everything for that color. Jim

(usually there is a printed label they stick on the can once it is mixed. which gives you all the amounts of each tint, binder or balancer.)
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #9
hotrodsteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I just went out to the garage and found the qt. can of Briarwood Brown I had mixed in 1988 so I could paint one small piece on my 40. It is acrylic lacquer. The mixer wrote the paint numbers on the can as shown. Perhaps they relate to the formula. Hope this helps.
Click on pic to enlarge.
Any chance you could either send Dave a small sample or "lend" him your can of paint in the hope that Dave could take it to a local paint shop and get it matched? As Dave knows, I could use some Briarwood Brown myself.
hotrodsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #10
Detonator

Hey Steve, Happy New Year. How's the coupe coming?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
L78CHEVELLE

As I stated in my earlier post to try and save all of you some money and time it does not matter if you have the formulas for these old paints. The ingredients no longer exist in the form they existed in during the production of these cars. Therefore, the colors will not be the same. I have all these numbers and percentages from 1940 PPG charts, and my PPG dealer just laughed when I gave them to him. He told me I was about 20 years to late. The EPA no longer allows the production of the products needed in the formulas.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #12
19Fordy

Here's another option. I bet these guys could match it as they show a Briarwood Brown paint code.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...-ford-pg04.jpg
Also try.http://colorriteinc.com/color-palette

Here's another vendor in the Jan.-Feb. 2005 v-8 Times Mag. AutoColorLibrary.com Phone # 858 536-7950. Ask for "Jimmy Chips" Wells.

Here's what Kube said re: this topic.
https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/vi...0ford%20colors

Last edited by 19Fordy; 01-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #13
Kube

Colorrite , aka : colorwrong.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
G.M.

The real problem is every type of paint, enamel, laq, poly urethene, etc all require differant formulas. You can't use a laquer formula to mix emron. DuPont has a group in Eagle, Pa that has the original color chips. They will mix and provide a formula for almost any old color for the modern paints. How do I know? My grand daughter worked there converting the formulas. I put a few people in touch with her and she helped them. Problem is she was transfered to Wilmington, DE into colors for 2014 and later new cars. Another possible problem is DuPont sold the automotive paint business for $6 billion. Company that bought them also owns Dunkin Donuts. Transaction takes place in Feb. Look for exciting smelling new colors. G.M.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #15
Detonator

Meanwhile, back to my original question. I was looking for a modern formula for Briarwood -- in hopes that someone had already gone through this brain damage and would be willing to share the recipe. I know an old formula will do us no good.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #16
john worden

I have a modern mix in Dupont Centari acrylic enamel if it helps. I'll dig out the info thursday and post it.
John
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
G.M.

Centari with hardener is a good time proven paint. G.M.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
john worden

Quote:
Originally Posted by john worden View Post
I have a modern mix in Dupont Centari acrylic enamel if it helps. I'll dig out the info thursday and post it.
John
I made the above statement in error. Dupont stock number 44731 A is for Monaida Maroon as used on DELUXE 40's. Dupont calls it Claret and it is a 1977 GM color.

Ditzler indicated that DL- 20085 (probebly nitrocellulose lacquer or acrylic lacquer) is equivalent to STANDARD Briarwood Brown.

The above info is taken from the Early V8 Clubs "The 1940 Ford Book" copywrite 1987

Sorry for the confusion. John
Old 01-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #19
Ocean Park Speed Shop

THis may sound dumb, but I searched everywhere for a stock 39 ford folkstone gray color.. was NOT happy with how they looked and settled on a FIAT ( yes, Fiat) 2012
Mocha Latte... wow, painted the coupe today and it looked spectacular! check it out! Going to the eye doc next week!

Cheers Gerry
Ocean Park Speed Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
mike42

Hey Deton.....

I got a line on an aerosol can of Briarwood Brown a couple weeks ago from APS Tower Paint. I ordered it for $ 18.95 and will have it Monday of next week. The guy knew all about the color !

I'm going to test paint the front face of driver's side ash tray and I'll post pictures of how it turns out.

More later.

Mike42
mike42 is offline   Reply With Quote