Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Smoke.eater

Default Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

I’m trying to put the car back to oem, so I bought the tips that go through the bumper. The inlet for the tips are around 2 1/2” and the exhaust pipe is at 1 3/4” ( was bent down under the bumper from previous work).
So I guess what I’m asking is, does the 1 3/4 tail pipe fit loosely into the tip( with or without a gasket), does it flair up in size to fit more snug into the tip?
I can’t really find any info on this, either in the manual or on line.
Thanks for any advise in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Smoke.eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Jwawhite

Default Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Hey SE, too bad you don't live closer, I'd like to xchange my bumper and tips for a solid as lkq as mine,
Jwawhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Smoke.eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwawhite View Post
Hey SE, too bad you don't live closer, I'd like to xchange my bumper and tips for a solid as lkq as mine,

The car has the stock bumper with the cutouts, just looking to install the tips properly. Thanks though

Old 04-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
Smoke.eater

Quote:

If you have them on the car,would you be able to take some pictures for me,or if you have pictures, I’d love see them please. Thanks

Old 04-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Arrow Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Smoke eater-

I am trying to piece together the info you need. The ILL's were dropped from the 49/59 MPC FINAL ISSUE.

The actual design appears to be fairly complicated and a donor would make the conversion much easier IMO.

Personally, I love the look on the FAIRLANE and 56 BIRD both...

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:

... I'd like to xchange my bumper and tips for a solid as lkq as mine,
A wagon with F/L cutouts. Now that is b!tchin'...

Did you ever post a photo of the setup?

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
Old 04-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #7
Smoke.eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Smoke eater-

I am trying to piece together the info you need. The ILL's were dropped from the 49/59 MPC FINAL ISSUE.

The actual design appears to be fairly complicated and a donor would make the conversion much easier IMO.

Personally, I love the look on the FAIRLANE and 56 BIRD both...

Thank you for looking into it. If it’s as simple as cutting off the bend in the pipe and sliding the tip over the smaller pipe and bolting the tip to the bumper,that would be easy. But if it’s not that way from factory,I’d have to change more out

Old 04-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
KULTULZ

Question Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

OK... I found an original PARTS ILL but the source has made it difficult to copy.

If it shows here properly, print it out to view it more easily. All of the parts seem to be available NOS and/or REPRO

(BPR EXH DETAIL on lower RH hand of Ill).

This detail was deleted sometime in the MPC update history.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD- BPR EXH Outlet.jpg (50.8 KB, 191 views)

Old 04-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #9
Smoke.eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
OK... I found an original PARTS ILL but the source has made it difficult to copy.

If it shows here properly, print it out to view it more easily. All of the parts seem to be available NOS and/or REPRO

(BPR EXH DETAIL on lower RH hand of Ill).

This detail was deleted sometime in the MPC update history.

Man, where do you find this stuff,I can’t find nothing like that info( on line anyway). Thank you. It looks like the pipe just goes into the tip. The muffler looks to be a OEM style( judging by the pics I have seen) so I guess there is a lot of free space from the outer diameter of the pipe to the inner diameter of the tip. Again thank you

Old 04-28-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke.eater View Post

Man, where do you find this stuff,I can’t find nothing like that info( on line anyway). Thank you. It looks like the pipe just goes into the tip. The muffler looks to be a OEM style( judging by the pics I have seen) so I guess there is a lot of free space from the outer diameter of the pipe to the inner diameter of the tip. Again thank you

What you see is an old PARTS ILL that was discontinued and dropped from the PARTS BOOK. If I would get up off my dead a$$ and find original print date books, it all would be much easier.

I will show some photos of the parts and hardware you will need later tonight. It is a little more complicated than the ILL actually shows.

And much less, I enjoy doing as I learn also (and get some cobwebs rattled)...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD- Dual Exh Sys _1 - Typical.jpg (85.2 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg 1956 FORD- Dual Exh Sys _2 - Hardware.jpg (55.3 KB, 180 views)

Old 04-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #11
5851a

Later years wagon exhaust went to the side to keep it from entering tailgate area. Don't know what year they started doing it though.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #12
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post

Later years wagon exhaust went to the side to keep it from entering tailgate area.

Don't know what year they started doing it though.
A very important factoid here.

The SW will have outlet pipe turnouts to release the exhaust to the sides of the vehicle as a vacuum is created as the car moves and if a gate is left open or has bad seals will allow the fumes to enter the cabin with rear outlet pipe(s).

The FAIRLANE bumper looks good on the PARKLANE (IMO) but you have to be aware of this. I am not sure if it is part of motor vehicle law but manufacturers do turn the exhaust out.

Look at the below PARTS ILL and you can notice that the right outlet pipe is a turnout while the left is straight (sedan).

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-29-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: ADD DETAIL PHOTOS
Old 04-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #13
KULTULZ

Post Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke.eater View Post

The inlet for the tips are around 2 1/2” and the exhaust pipe is at 1 3/4” ( was bent down under the bumper from previous work).

So I guess what I’m asking is, does the 1 3/4 tail pipe fit loosely into the tip( with or without a gasket), does it flair up in size to fit more snug into the tip?
The outlet pipe (5255) on this option is 2" from what I have researched. It seems to be unique to this special setup. When I get... ...a period correct MPC, it will (should) give more precise detail.

The RH and LH SUPT BRKTS (17795-17796) are also unique to this setup compared to the SEDAN.

Last edited by KULTULZ; 04-29-2018 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:03 PM   #14
Kahuna

Again, Kultulz, Great information. Very helpful
Thanks so much
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
Jwawhite

That's why I removed mine, exhaust fumes were coming into the cab. Also, I needed to change out my metal exhaust manifolds for the L side was up against the steering box and frame. The manifold on the L side was also hit with a smiter to fit along with the flange being cut down....After installation of stock? Cast iron ones?, I noticed the connection to muffler was leaking below drivers side of bench seat. Now all I need to do is find a swap for a solid bumper, like kind and quality.
K is the man with the lost illustrations files and info!
Old 04-30-2018, 02:26 AM   #16
KULTULZ

Question Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:

That's why I removed mine, exhaust fumes were coming into the cab.
You saved everything, right? Do the take-off parts appear similiar to the FORD ILL's?

Quote:
Also, I needed to change out my metal exhaust manifolds for the L side was up against the steering box and frame. The manifold on the L side was also hit with a smiter to fit along with the flange being cut down....After installation of stock? Cast iron ones?, I noticed the connection to muffler was leaking below drivers side of bench seat.
...hmmpf...

So they were not precise with the engine upgrade either?

I think you said it was either a 302 or 5.0L swap? By metal do you mean factory tubing headers/exh manifolds or cast?

Did they give you the year and vehicle donor of the engine?

Old 04-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #17
Daddio

On my '56 Bird the tail pipe actually ends about 1/2" from the bumper exhaust collector B4A 5202. All my pipes were 'supposedly' made to OEM specs and the bumper / collector are original.
I guess the engineers expected the exhaust fumes to travel straight out the tail pipe, into the collector and out through the bumper. It appears to work that way on my Bird.
Maybe they also thought: if the bumper port was clogged with snow or mud, there was still a way for the exhaust fumes to exit.
Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
Smoke.eater

That’s why I love this,so much experience/insite, and knowledge with the willingness to help keep these great cars on the road.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #19
Jwawhite

I'm getting the car out today will take some photos of the tips I have. The tips were bolted to the bumper, one was narrowed, sliced widthwise? rewelded to fit from body to bumper, clearance issue. Some of the work on this car was/is interesting, isn't that what some say about art?, they don't like?
K, yes, car was a bit slopped? together. 302/AOD/8" Spicer. Tubed Headers changed out for cast ones. I've tried to find block #'s w/o success, but if, IF, the F.I. intake manifold came with this block, it's either a 94 or 95 Mustang HO 5 liter motor. The number off the computer reads 94 with a standard trans.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:03 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Post Re: Looking to install exhaust through bumper on 56 fairlane

Quote:

K, yes, car was a bit slopped? together. 302/AOD/8" Spicer.

Tubed Headers changed out for cast ones. I've tried to find block #'s w/o success, but if, IF, the F.I. intake manifold came with this block, it's either a 94 or 95 Mustang HO 5 liter motor. The number off the computer reads 94 with a standard trans.
...hmmpf...

So you think it is a 5.0L HO?

You are saying it has tube headers and not factory cast?

Be careful if manifold/header hitting steering box as it is grease filled and will boil the grease out.

Photo of engine?