Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #1
ericr

Default References to "Judging Sandards" Inapropo?

My set of what is incessantly referred to herein as "Judging Standards" came today and what a great restorer's resource! Imagine my surprise when I see the full title is "Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards".

Seeing this publication constantly referred to by a partial name deterred me for a long time from ordering it, as I surmised (incorrectly) that it was meant primarily for judging. I now wonder if other restorers are similarly deterred.

I certainly understand a quest to make the car as close to original as possible. That doesn't necessarily equate to seeking an award, which some of us are disinterested in....unless perhaps it is a trip to Europe on the Queen Mary.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
newshirt

Default Re: References to "Judging Sandards" Inapropo?

Yes, could be true... but I think people seek out just enough information to match their time and interest... regardless of what it's labeled. If they feel they need more, they'll figure out what publications provide it.

But you have to be a pretty geeky dude to read things like the RG&JS, Service Bulletins, Price Lists, or even Les Andrews. I'm guessing most owners don't get that far. Not because the labels scare them, but because their interest level isn't there.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sorry, Dude, The Queen Mary is PERMENENTLY grounded in Long Beach Harbor in Kalifornia!!-----Bill W.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:13 PM   #4
Russell in Tulsa

Also the name used to be "Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines."
They switched it around to possibly get more readership. I know of some who wouldn't buy it until after the change and then were surprised it's not a tome on only fine point restorations.
Russell in Tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
Rowdy
BANNED

While the delivery will not be a contendant in any national club judging I still use it as much as possible. If I have or can reasonably trade for the correct part I will always use it. Fortunately I have a good stash of parts to choose from, so it is usually do-able without much effort. Just time spent on evaluating the parts I have. Great resource even if you have no aspirations in having it judged. Some day after the delivery, Dad's coupe and the hot rod are done I will look for a car with the potential to make it correct enough to compete. Rod
Old 05-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
My set of what is incessantly referred to herein as "Judging Standards" came today and what a great restorer's resource! Imagine my surprise when I see the full title is "Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards".

Seeing this publication constantly referred to by a partial name deterred me for a long time from ordering it, as I surmised (incorrectly) that it was meant primarily for judging. I now wonder if other restorers are similarly deterred.

I certainly understand a quest to make the car as close to original as possible. That doesn't necessarily equate to seeking an award, which some of us are disinterested in....unless perhaps it is a trip to Europe on the Queen Mary.
You are so right! That is why they changed the name. I have done my best to use "restoration guidelines" but old habits die hard.

Now that I have them on a hard drive I can easily reproduce the photos and other information to show the worth of such documentation.

I have said it is often as easy to do things "right" as they are to do them at all. The thread about stud height is a perfect example.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Roadster62

If a copy is avalible to look through at Hershey I may buy one. Fifty three years in the hobby and I never got hooked on the "Fine Point" way of viewing a Model A, and telling someone what is "wrong" with his/her car. I'd rather say nice things. Bob
Old 05-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #8
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
If a copy is avalible to look through at Hershey I may buy one. Fifty three years in the hobby and I never got hooked on the "Fine Point" way of viewing a Model A, and telling someone what is "wrong" with his/her car. I'd rather say nice things. Bob
They have been "available" every year it has been printed..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
rollingsculpture

curiosity is needed to read svs bulletins and JS and it is time well spent if you really want a sense of the historical nature of the vehicles when demarcated by month/year changes that show the evolution of thought and design of the model a years problem solving.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Its good to know what is considered correct for the particular model A that is in question. I think that most just call it the judging standards to save having to type the extra words. No model A book collection is complete without the judging standards.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #11
CarlG

While I was in the process of collecting enough money to actually buy my Model A, I began to gather all sorts of reading material (among other things). By the time I had the Model A firmly planted in my garage, I had all the Les Andrews books, the service bulletins, and a whole host of vendor catalogs. Not long after that I bought the Restoration Guidelines & Judging Standards. I never had in mind to end up with a "Fine Point" vehicle, but I wanted to know how everything was suppose to fit together, even if it ended up with my own twist to things. I'm still finding out things I didn't know about my car, or maybe just confirming things I had forgotten over the 50+ years I didn't have a Model A.

I can't imagine someone wanting to spend their time and money on these cars without having some sort of guide as to how and why things are like they are. We are truly blessed with the enormous amount of information available in order to make our hobby what it is today. Information that just wasn't there when I had my earlier Model A's in the late '50's.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

In the old days, I started out with the Clymer model A books. I've still got them but they are mostly falling apart. There is lots more info available now but most of the books are not made of high quality. After a few years the pages begin to break loose from the binding.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #13
denis4x4

Probably will kill this thread as I've been using the judging standards for at least 15 years as a reference guide while building my Model A hot rods. They're invaluable when putting together a car from pieces.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #14
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Probably will kill this thread as I've been using the judging standards for at least 15 years as a reference guide while building my Model A hot rods. They're invaluable when putting together a car from pieces.
That's the best reason I've heard yet to buy one.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:17 AM   #15
RonC

Don't forget the Ford Service Bulletins. It should be your first book you buy.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
grj

It used to be called Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines. My wife edited the 1997 Revision. She said to me one day that we have this backwards. It should be "Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards". It is for everybody that is restoring a Model "A". It is up to each individual to decide what level they would like to restore their vehicle to. Nothing beats finding the correct original part for your car at a local swap meet. These are simply a great source of what was on your car eighty some years ago. So buy a set, research your vehicle, and enjoy your Model A Ford!! It has been named that ever since.
grj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
marc hildebrant

I too put off getting them thinking they were just for judging. I have found them to be very useful for general Model A work ; although I did find an error in the electrical diagram.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
BlueSunoco

I agree, VERY well put together a must-have book. A lot of work went into this baby. Fun to get it out on a rainy day and just read through the thing.

No other old car group has anything even close to the Restoration and Judging Standards that the Model A afficionados have access too. Nobody.

There's no reason not to buy this publication.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
Purdy Swoft

I'm not into national judging and mostly do mine as I please. With that said I feel that besides the judging standards, Brattons catalog is one of the best quick referances that I have found.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by grj View Post
It used to be called Judging Standards and Restoration Guidelines. My wife edited the 1997 Revision. She said to me one day that we have this backwards. It should be "Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards". It is for everybody that is restoring a Model "A". It is up to each individual to decide what level they would like to restore their vehicle to. Nothing beats finding the correct original part for your car at a local swap meet. These are simply a great source of what was on your car eighty some years ago. So buy a set, research your vehicle, and enjoy your Model A Ford!! It has been named that ever since.
Gary,
Said so well. Sometimes the ladies have a "stand and look back at it" perspective that says it perfectly.
Along with the Service Bulletins... they are an excellent tool.
For you guys who don't have one of the full size Service Bulletin reprints from Ben Staub 1980's vintage and the later MARC/MAFCA reproduced.. you should try and locate a copy ( both out of print). They are a indeed neat pieces to have for learning and reading.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote