Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #61
dumb person

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

So this starts off as a thread on 12 volt systems & ends up on worms? Maybe the guys from that video got worms in the episode where they cooked some roadkill and left it on the parcel shelf in the hot sun all day before eating it.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
yachtsmanbill

So, is DP Randall? I think you starred in those flicks; the links are in your signature afterall! Ever try reseating a tire bead and filling the tire with hair spray? Thats a good'n too I also like the "changing the fanbelt with the engine running" one too! ws

One of the guys here asked me to start a new thred ... he's on dial up and had to ring 2 long and 3 short for the connection. Usually after my threds show 50,000 views, Ill start a new one... tomorrow its gonna be "wood you wood or wood you rather not"... draw yer own conclusions
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Keep away from Flu shots .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Finally falling back into the "normal" category and will attempt some shop time tomorrow. All I can say is the flu kicked booty this time and its been 4 years since I had it. Still having a hard time reading of all things; like I am cross eyed or something. If you guys get it, dont fight it. Just give in and deal with it. Seven days so far as of tomorrow.
Pats doing much better and is walking to stay limber, but still kinda worn out. Its hell getting old aint it? That old shop floor is gonna be a cold'un tomorrow. May hafta wear the snow boots out there! ws

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #64
yachtsmanbill

I NEVER get the shot but Pat has to.... shes a breast cancer survivor with COPD and emphysema to name a few. Kinda frail on the health side... ws
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #65
fordman67

My dang wife made me...NOT happy..BUT with a 3 month old I had to get the purtusses(sp?) so I gave in..first ever.I have been sicker than ever,since.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #66
fordman67

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Ya know Mike, in 3rd grade my teacher used to extole my use of descriptive adjectives and a "most colorful" interpretation of an otherwise difficult situation to picture or percieve mentally. How cool is that?
I dont get what part you find disturbing though... and as for competencies, they come in coffee sized cans ranging from "grasping at the bottom rung of the ladder of evolution" all the way to "brain surgery" all tempered with left handed humor and a bit of artistic sarcasm. They all have peel away tops so no can opener is needed.

"Fear not thy brother for he is the keeper of the Masters' house..." ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsswIRkAjfU

Blimey! A bunch of swagmen with no billybag??? Probably wishing for a coolibah t' wait by for the sun to pass...
What the heck?really? a battery just out in the weeds? and the water tank is a magic spring...first its half empty,then the rad is full,and the tank is 2/3 full again...SSUURREE!

Bill,just keep up the good work letting them ol dry ballers (or what ever) at bay...
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #67
yachtsmanbill

So I was gonna start a new one today; BORED or BOARD. Didnt wanna confuse the SOE guys (South of the Equator), so we're gonna run with the 12 volt thred.

At about 0600 today it was minus 10 F, then the sun shone upon the thermometer and things warmed up. Clouds happened and the temp retarded back to zero and stayed there all day.
Ran the heat outside balls out for 2 hours before I even went out; it made about 55F by the time I was ready. Thermal longhandles were the uniform of the day and after another hour it was confy out there.
Did some final trimming on my cardboard template for a pretty fair fit. Traced it out onto the wood and cut it out. After looking at it for an hour I just grabbed the saw and went at it. On a scale of 1-10, the fit is ruffed in at a good 7. A little finesse work with a rasp and some 1/2" rubber fender welt (just ordered that) and itll fit like a million.
Even tho it was cracked into two pieces, the original glass is gonna go back in the frame for a final fit up, then use that piece(s) as a template. The bare ends of the wood are gonna get capped with a steel box with a piece of pipe welded on for the lower hinge mount, plus that will keep torsional strains to a minimum. I thinks its gonna turn out swell... ws

Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #68
dumb person

Is it the camera angle or did you make the windshield bias toward the drivers side?

Also thought you might appreciate this reading material http://jalopnik.com/5843759/the-ten-...ums/gallery/11 if that is allowed

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #69
yachtsmanbill

Youve got a sharp eye mate! The vertical end on the pass side is close (within 1/4") and the drivers' side is proud about 3". I left it long on purpose so that once the recievers are fabbed up I can trim that side for an accurate fit on the hinges/frame. Originally I was gonna section the glass frame for a narrower look, but then thought about having the extra area coverage, also giving it the appearance of being larger. Its all smake and mirrors... ws
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #70
yachtsmanbill

I cant believe how much reverse engineering goes into this stuff! Putting material together for the boxed corners on the wood, I needed to start with a slit pc. of 1/2" pipe. That needs to be pretty accurate, and several sawing attempts netted poor results. Finally laid it out and sliced it with a cutoff grinder. What a mess!
That little job took three hours before it was right! Then its more reverse engineering to get the lengths and angles right... more tomorrow! ws

Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
yachtsmanbill

Looks like the stegasaurus slipped off the treadmill across the hall.... AGAIN! Now its a big topic of WOE on the Int'l forum... Poor kids... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eacV6QyKDvs
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #72
jackdaron

Off your meds again?
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #73
yachtsmanbill

Yeah... the label says 1 pill every 6 hours, or is that 6 pills every hour(?) Sometimes dyslexia is fun, and sometimes it can be corrected pharmaceutically. I like my doctors comment "Yer a man; you know what you need..." ws
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #74
jackdaron

We all have to take them,but we don't have to like it. Hang tough.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #75
yachtsmanbill

I dunno about that'n.... I used to visit my older sister in Haight-Ashbury in the 60's... she left for Woodstock in her '47 Jeepster and I left for military school. I was normal before that! LOL ws
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
yachtsmanbill

So I just watched Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous and found it interesting that he played a Hurdy Gurdy. Youll need to look it up and meanwhile while I was researching this, I came across another Model T youtube from a Limey collector. Some rather interesting stuff in there to behold. Check it out! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNBY...endscreen&NR=1
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #77
dwollam

Bill, your pictures made me laugh. I had a friend that used to say "That makes as much sense as a wooden windshield!" and I thought of him when I saw the above pic of just the wood on the cowl! Then to my relief I saw the next pics with the windshield frame. Whew! Thought for a minute he was back! I am enjoying your threads.
Dave
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #78
yachtsmanbill

"People who live in wood houses shouldnt grow termites..." (?)

Thanks Dave! Having built the Pollinator from the ground up there was virtually no way to buy/retrofit any OEM parts that would do what I needed them to do. Watching the movie "The Great Race" and checking out the Leslie Special it dawned on me how to get the right results. I wanted a lay down windshield with a back slant as well, which is where the wood base idea came from. That way I could use a stock upper WS frame from a Ford and have it function the way I wanted it to.
We'll see how it plays out... ws

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #79
yachtsmanbill

Just plugging along on the corner boxes with the lower hinge mount. This stuff is all hand cut out of about 18 gage steel shelving that was left over from an ACE hardware store. I layed the stuff out on flat pcs. then cut it with the portaband saw in the vise. A little finesse grinding and tack it up before the welding. This is all done with the MIG... just sold my Lincoln 250 TIG unit but the hand/eye coordination aint what it used to be.
This stuff is at the 50-75% ground stage for an initial fit up. Itll look good when done but thats seeing it with some artistic license for now! The big trick is gonna be to get the hole assembly fitted so that the glass lays horizontal when in the down position. When its up the angle is not nearly as important. Gonna make some nice manly sized stainless wing nuts to snug it into the desired position.
Tomorrow Ive got to get the broken glass back into the frame for an accurate width before I cut the wood width... ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #80
yachtsmanbill

Got my 1/2" OD rubber fender welting. Thats gonna give it a nice finished edge when done. An ebay guy cut off a 10 foot piece for me and saved the day. Its gonna go on the inside and the outside and probably get glued and stapled to the wood bottom edge. The stuff is nice live rubber and really supple.
After all the dry runs, Ill do a quick stain with 10 coats of varnish on the teak frame and it should look outstanding. I am considering yellow OR black on the WS frame and hinges... IDEAS? COMMENTS??? ws