Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #101
cmbrucew

Default Re: MAC's Auto Parts.

They sign contracts with FedEx or Ups for all their shipping.
Bruce
Old 06-25-2014, 12:53 PM   #102
Ross F-1

What the shipping costs boil down to is that it costs any of them just as much to process an order for a molding clip that weighs less than an ounce and sells for a quarter as it does to process and pick from storage a $500 ring and pinion set. In a big operation, they would probably just as soon not even carry the clips, but if they do, they need to make money on it.

I see the same grousing on forums for every kind of vehicle I own, it's not unique to old Fords or MAC's.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 PM   #103
36 ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
What the shipping costs boil down to is that it costs any of them just as much to process an order for a molding clip that weighs less than an ounce and sells for a quarter as it does to process and pick from storage a $500 ring and pinion set. In a big operation, they would probably just as soon not even carry the clips, but if they do, they need to make money on it.

I see the same grousing on forums for every kind of vehicle I own, it's not unique to old Fords or MAC's.
Just as Mac's has the right to choose inflated shipping cost for their customers so do we , the customers, have the right to choose which vendor has the best value and service record. I wouldn't call this many complaints petty or "grousing" but legitimate as evidenced by the testimonies of those here and there must be a host of others who are not on the Ford Barn.
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #104
Ross F-1

I wasn't discounting the legitimacy of the grousing about service and wrong parts, just pointing out the shipping cost situation is the same across 20 vendors I can name offhand, for all kinds of cars/trucks.

I just bought two sets of clips I needed for my DD, total cost of parts: $2.50. (and that's for 3 of each). Shipping came in at $12, because half the clips were in their CA warehouse, half were in their FL warehouse. The CA warehouse put them in an envelope that cost them $1.30 to mail, the FL warehouse put theirs in a small Flat Rate box for $5.30. (all roughly the same size) Doesn't add up to $12 does it?!
Old 06-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #105
keith oh

I always check local NAPA first, it is surprising how many parts they still handle for old Fords. Look for the oldest guy there.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:17 PM   #106
36 ford

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
I wasn't discounting the legitimacy of the grousing about service and wrong parts, just pointing out the shipping cost situation is the same across 20 vendors I can name offhand, for all kinds of cars/trucks.

I just bought two sets of clips I needed for my DD, total cost of parts: $2.50. (and that's for 3 of each). Shipping came in at $12, because half the clips were in their CA warehouse, half were in their FL warehouse. The CA warehouse put them in an envelope that cost them $1.30 to mail, the FL warehouse put theirs in a small Flat Rate box for $5.30. (all roughly the same size) Doesn't add up to $12 does it?!
Sorry! I misunderstood.
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #107
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
They sign contracts with FedEx or Ups for all their shipping.
Bruce
To elaborate on this, I'd add the following. When I was in the computer business, we did many systems for several industries, including office supply and commercial printing companies. For every one of any size, they would have contracts with one or more of the major shipping companies. These contracts would contain sizeable discounts, based on volume and a few other things. They would then charge full retail rates to their customers. Additionally, sometimes, depending on the sophistication of the customer, they would surcharge the retail rates. From time to time, we would run an analysis on how much they were making on shipping. The profits were amazing to say the least.

I've been out of the business for almost 10 years now, so things may have changed. I would hope for the better, but highly doubt it.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #108
B-O-B

Jeez when I was in business & also ran another business before my own the overhead was figured in the total selling price. I'm pretty sure these outfits make a handsome profit on the part & the shipping is the icing on the cake. I know the shipping cost is way less expensive than driving to get your part but I'm to pay for the shipping I should at least have say in who ships it. Some vendors will work with you on this just ask. Hotrods & customs in Escondido & Old Ford parts in Cal did this with me.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #109
Bassman/NZ

Quote:

Tell me then why a set of bearings shipped to NZ costs $20 for shipping from NJParts , and $70 for shipping from Macs or Speedway. No need to tell you who gets the custom.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:19 PM   #110
4tford

I find this thread absolutely amazing. Over 100 posts to the thread slamming a company and unless I missed it the original poster never said why he would not buy from Macs. New guy with 9 posts says nothing and a 100 guys jump on the band wagon. Time to close the post??? JMO
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #111
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post
I find this thread absolutely amazing. Over 100 posts to the thread slamming a company and unless I missed it the original poster never said why he would not buy from Macs. New guy with 9 posts says nothing and a 100 guys jump on the band wagon. Time to close the post??? JMO
Sooooo, after 100+ posts pretty much centering around insultingly-obscene shipping costs, combined with a few "get bent" customer service replies thrown-in for good measure, you still can't imagine "WHY" the OP may be unhappy? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:50 PM   #112
3 1937s

I agree on Joblot Automotive.
James is THE BEST.
He is very helpful to overseas buyers.
DRAKE, duck away from him.
3 1937s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:38 AM   #113
Flatkid8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4tford View Post

The only thing that's "amazing" here is regardless of who originally started the post, the fact of the matter is so far there has been well over 100 examples of why NOT to buy from these clowns and your the first to come sliding in on the defense team....just out of curiosity, have you even ordered from them recently? As far as "jumping on the band wagon"...if the wagon was built with any parts from Macs, ill voluntarily jump off and call a taxi.

Granted the shipping is obscene but its the customer service (or lack there of) that has come to be my last straw. Anyone that flat out tells me "they don't need my business" after spending thousands....well then, ill gladly stay out of theirs. Customer service should be priority regardless if your selling a $100 or a $100,000 service.

Last edited by Flatkid8; 06-26-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Flatkid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:34 AM   #114
BILL WZOREK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatkid8 View Post
The only thing that's "amazing" here is regardless of who originally started the post, the fact of the matter is so far there has been well over 100 examples of why NOT to buy from these clowns and your the first to come sliding in on the defense team....just out of curiosity, have you even ordered from them recently? As far as "jumping on the band wagon"...if the wagon was built with any parts from Macs, ill voluntarily jump off and call a taxi.

Granted the shipping is obscene but its the customer service (or lack there of) that has come to be my last straw. Anyone that flat out tells me "they don't need my business" after spending thousands....well then, ill gladly stay out of theirs. Customer service should be priority regardless if your selling a $100 or a $100,000 service.
Or lack of~ It is not just there, We all know how hard it is to talk to a real person when we have a simple question about Most anything ~~
Phone trees / Computers / Call centers ~ Have made personal service a thing of the past.
Call & try to complain about some ones bad attitude & you are very likely talking to the person you are complaining about ---
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #115
Mr. Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
IMO,Yes.Reasonable shipping,excellent customer service.I live on a big rock in the central Pacific ocean and they shipped the BFG WW radials to me priority mail.4 tires cost $217 to ship,had them in 3 days.Coker and Diamondback shipping was nearly $500.
Sheldon, Don't know if you have dealt with Summit before but they carry most brands of tires like Coker, BFG and shipping is free. Now granted I am not sure how it works to ship to a bit rock in the middle of the Pacific but it might be worth taking a look at.

PS I was not impressed with Macks either.
Mr. Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #116
RCM

How about Rockauto? Just ordered a stabilizer bar link kit. Payed on the 22nd and yesterday it was in France. So far so good.
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #117
51504bat

Just got an email blast from Mac's asking me to take a survey. Told them the main reason I don't order from them anymore is that their shipping costs are out of line compared to other vendors. Doubt anything will change but you never know.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #118
mfagan

Same here, got the survey this morning and advised that
they needed to rethink shipping and handling ......
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #119
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
How about Rockauto? Just ordered a stabilizer bar link kit. Payed on the 22nd and yesterday it was in France. So far so good.
I have really gotten some great deals from Rockauto. I order a lot of parts from them and always had good results. Ordered some 1950 F1 brake parts and got them for way below any other venders prices, way less than half the price for quality US manufactured parts.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #120
cmbrucew

also received survey today.
Told them honest shipping, and a choice.
Bruce