Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2011, 07:10 AM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Interest in ve28's

Okay, I know that A495 has been on Fordbarn quite a bit lately. I'm not trying to force interest in the ve28's down anyone's throat. However, I have been overwhelmed by the response. Having Wick write that he has a set of the early motor mounts is very exciting and gets another ve28 restoration that much closer to completion. Personally it took me over 8 years to track down the parts that I needed to correctly restore the chassis of A495.

Here's a message that I just received from Doug in Oregon:
Hi Dean

Found your pics of A495, they have been a great help in identifying some of the parts I have from my fathers estate, and also a help for a January 28 chassis my brother is building. Would love to see detailed pics of the early brake system under the center cross member.

I do have one question, would it be possible to combine the pics on all seven A495 threads on the first thread?

Having to find all seven threads in the future could be a problem, and I feel that your photographs and information is important for all restorers of early Model A's.

Thanks Nuts aka Doug from Baker City Oregon

Two things:
1. It will be great to help his brother with information on the brake system and who might have parts that he needs to complete the restoration.
2. He requested that all the A495 photos that I had previously put on Fordbarn in seven messages be combined into one. I will do just that in a thread that I'll call "Photos of a Very Early 1928 Chassis".

Thanks to Wick, Nuts and all the rest of you who are interested in the ve28's.

Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Roadster62

Default Re: Interest in ve28's

I tend to remember odd facts, back in the 1960's AMT offered a model of a 1928 Model A Tudor sedan. For some reason i remember it was based on the then oldest restored Model A, can anyone add to this? I'm really enjoying all this early A discussion, is "VE1928" now the correct A speak and "AR" an incorrect term? Bob
Old 07-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Jim Mason

I don't know if it was based on the 'earliest' A known or not. I do no that the dies to make the tudor were modified to make the 'woodie' model that is now available. So if you are looking for the model of the 28 tudor, no more can be made...fwiw,jm
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mason View Post
I don't know if it was based on the 'earliest' A known or not. I do no that the dies to make the tudor were modified to make the 'woodie' model that is now available. So if you are looking for the model of the 28 tudor, no more can be made...fwiw,jm
I lucked out and found two on Ebay a few years back and utilized in my model of the Model A Ford Assembly Line on my web site...one into a Tudor Sedan...one into a Delivery.

Dean...Thanks for putting all the photos into one post...the thing is sooner or later it to will get lost in the shuffel.

Maybe Ryan can add it as a STICKY so it will always be at the top??? THEN YOU CAN ADD TO IT AS TIME GOES ON YET IT STAYS IN ONE SPOT!

There are a lot of posts in the past that have proven as excelent and should be as such also.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
Bick in New Zealand

Great idea Dean, awesome to see the interest in these earlybirds!

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
dean from bozeman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Howdy Bob aka Roadster62,

I'm really enjoying all this early A discussion, is "VE1928" now the correct A speak and "AR" an incorrect term? Bob

As a kid in high school I used to read Doc Kalinka's articles about "AR parts".

Well, since the AR term is technically a misnomer folks now refer to the '28 Model A in one of three ways:

1. ve28 - These are the first several thousand or so Model A's that were built during 1927. These include engine numbers up to A4186.

2. e28 -These are Model A's built during the first half of 1928. These include Model A's up to engine number A170000 or so.

3. 28s - This includes all the rest of the A's built in 1928 up to engine number A810122.

These are the guidelines as printed in the new Judging Standards. In regards to the very early features many of them were designed to be only on the first 200 cars. Some were designed for the first 1,000. As the early vehicle owners exchange information we find that there is some carry over and no definite cutoffs. On this I believe that Henry never wanted to waste anything so if it was made then it would be used. Also, there was a mad rush to get the New Model A's out the door and into the hands of the wanting public. From the records it looks like many early engines were sent back for further work and thus engines didn't come out the door in strict number order.

Confusing? Yes, but that is some of the charm of the ve28s and the e28s.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Maclab58

I have an e28 and I love the attention that it draws. I was very new to model A's and had no idea what I had bought. It wasn't until I met some other model A'ers that I was enlightened as to what a treasure that I had. I feel very lucky to have a mid 60,000 car.
Maclab58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
Nuts

Thank you Dean, this will be a very big help.

Mr Plucker has seen the pile of parts I have to wade thru over the next few years,
I only hope I live long enough to sort thru it all. Oh well, I do have nephews.

Here's how things looked when I started selling five years ago. Most of the bodies
in these pics are now gone as well as several of the semi complete parts cars.
I do need to take more current pics.

As you can see, finding a certain part when you need it, can be frustrating.
Not to speak of at least five months of snow.

Will look forward to your new thread Dean, along with others with early A's

Doug from Oregon

Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #9
Glenn C.

Neat pictures.....Wear high top leather boots and gloves !
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM   #10
ivoryjohn

Lordy! I suppose if a guy wanted to get that Sport Coupe out to take a look at it he would have to make an appointment so you had time to move a few things. Taking the siding off the building and backing it out might be a time saver.

You do have a pile of gold! I almost forgot what heaven looks like. The mountains and a wonderful pile of old iron! You are a lucky man by my standards.
ivoryjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Doug (Nuts)...

How well do I remember the shed and back 40!

Good to hear from you...will stop by again soon this year when I take some stuff down to Idaho.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #12
Nuts

Glenn, oddly enough we don't have any rattle snakes in this valley, but I do have a lot of ankle biting rusty tin.

IvoryJohn Yep I do live in a little slice of heaven, tours are free.
But you are right, getting one of these cars out is a bit of a problem

Hello Steve, send me an email to make sure I'm home
[email protected]

Doug
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
joe plumber

Wow .
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #14
Gravelroad

Thumbs up Re: Interest in ve28's

Thanks Dean for this thread. If you build it, they will come. I have been looking for information on AR's (ve and e28s) since I got mine a month or so ago. My tudor sedan had been in a metal machine shed in eastern Washington since about 1960, having been driven only occasionaly around the farm. I have found that I need to find some original parts such as a P2 generator that had been replaced by the long type. Just missed one on ebay. Asked the guy some questions on the 14th, he just got back to me today (17th) with favorable answers and when I went to buy it, it had sold. GO FIGURE. Anyhow, what is the fun of working on old cars without a few challenges. Doug in BC Oregon, I would like to get together with your brother as mine is a January 28 also. Chassis 12601. I am trusting this to be true as that is what is on the title and the block but the SN pad is not of a cast texture as I read it should be. It looks machined so maybe a replacement motor stamped with correct numbers?????????? I understand these same numbers should be on the frame under the body in the drivers area?? Later on that one. I am just trying at the moment to preserve it and get it running for the local parade in September. Just got my 5th AR wheel last week at the swap meet in Spokane. PO had one later A wheel on the car with a bare AR wheel in the back seat. I need a complete rear bumper including brackets under the car. Are e28s different in any way from 28/29 or 30/31? Also of urgent need is a correct working, not burned out light switch. It looks different than later ones. Can anyone jump in and tell me the differences and what will or will not work? Where can I find what I need? This is a great thread and I hope it goes on forever. I'm sure I am not the only one with with a lot of Q and As. Oh----- and Steve from Walla Walla, our harvest is going to be late by 2-3 weeks too because of the weird spring. Lots of rain and cool weather. I am going to be in Delaware and Maryland from the 20th till about the 2nd and will still be back in time for harvest. I would like to get together with you sometime when I am in the WW area and compare notes on your 28. Thanks to everyone who has added to the thread. I have alread gleaned lots from it. Deans pictures are great. More please Dean and everyone else. Jerry
Gravelroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #15
jimalabam

E28 was always correct Model A speak. AR was and should be ONLY in the Parts BOOK as a replacement service part...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote