Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-09-2023, 11:53 PM   #21
cas3

Default Re: Rebuilding a '51 226 H fuel pump

Every pot metal thing I play with, fuel pump or carburetor body's, I check for flat with 320 grit on my table saw bed. Most, are far from flat when you check em
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:32 AM   #22
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Every pot metal thing I play with, fuel pump or carburetor body's, I check for flat with 320 grit on my table saw bed. Most, are far from flat when you check em
It's quite satisfying to see the progress as the shine progresses across the entire surface. It is so important to tighten gradually and in a criss-cross manner. I cringe when I see someone not following this simple rule.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #23
cmbrucew

Gary
The diaphragms are the same, but the shaft is clocked differently. Call charley ny for ethanol proof diaphragms.
Bruce
Old 08-12-2023, 12:03 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Going to run with the guts from the airtex (made in USA). In fact I'm going to use the top half of the airtex on the AC bottom. As you can see in the photo, the airtex has the press in valves and the AC has the bridge type valve holder. Other than the laminated steel lever itself, the two bottom sections look interchangeable. My old H lever looks to have a very well peened over pivot so I'm gonna let that be and reuse it. It is in the carb dip having a soak while wife and I load up a truck for the dump run. Later this afternoon I'm taking two grand daughters out in the whaler to pull the 4 crab pots we set yesterday. Pump body will get a good soak in the meantime.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fuel pump 1.jpg (144.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg fuel pump 2.jpg (121.6 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg A foyota and a whaler.jpg (156.5 KB, 119 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 08-12-2023 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-12-2023, 12:24 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Going to run with the guts from the airtex (made in USA). In fact I'm going to use the top half of the airtex on the AC bottom. As you can see in the photo, the airtex has the press in valves and the AC has the bridge type valve holder. Other than the laminated steel lever itself, the two bottom sections look interchangeable. My old H lever looks to have a very well peened over pivot so I'm gonna let that be and reuse it. It is in the carb dip having a soak while wife and I load up a truck for the dump run. Later this afternoon I'm taking two grand daughters out in the whaler to pull the 4 crab pots we set yesterday. Pump body will get a good soak in the meantime.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 11:51 PM   #26
GB SISSON

Ok, now all parts are clean as new and I will toss and turn all night about using the airtex guts or buying new. I researched airtex stuff and ethanol for over an hour. Sounds like corn gas came in with Jimmy Carter? Read stuff about the new diaphrams being alcohol resistant and that was dated 2011.... Most posts I read said to stay clear of old NOS stuff. Duh.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:31 AM   #27
38 coupe

I like the pumps with the removable valves. I use a kit that comes with replacement valves which live with corn gas.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:36 AM   #28
cas3

Last pump I did really put up a fight. It was the type with the retainer thing holding the valves in place. All done, not working. Back apart, I decided there was corrosion on the seat where the valve gasket sits. Made a piece of tubing the exact size on the lathe, and then glued some sandpaper on the end that I had also made from a tube cut exact size like a gasket cutter, so I could sorta lap the seat area under the gasket, and made new gaskets. Put it together, still weak. apart again, I did some testing with soapy water and found the new valves were leaking around the seam where they are crimped together. I then bought some of the CNC machined valves from then and now, and it finally worked.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 08:56 AM   #29
1952henry

Good to hear cas3. For those concerned about the price of Then and Now kits, this justifies the price.
Old 08-13-2023, 10:28 AM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Good to hear cas3. For those concerned about the price of Then and Now kits, this justifies the price.
You guys are working on me. I will try them again in the morning as they claim to answer their phone on Mondays and Fridays. Just so Easy to do it right when all the parts are sitting there in front of you and so dang Hard when dealing with gas in the oil or worse yet, another roadside distraction..... And in the words of old car enthusiasts worldwide, "What's another hundred bucks at this point?"
Old 08-13-2023, 10:48 AM   #31
1952henry

It is down the road for me, but I have a few correct fuel pumps for my 52 MH. Always been my plan to hit up Then and Now for kit when time comes. Body will be cleaned and rechromated, steel pieces replated. No problems with their kits I’ve used for other’s pumps. Gotta dance with the girl what bring ya.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:14 PM   #32
GB SISSON

It's pretty much a 'first world' problem, seein's how I have four jailbar trucks and 3 'new' daily work trucks from the nineties. I just HATE being alongside the road dealing with fuel delivery and the gas is running down into my armpits and now I'm late for a meeting with new clients waiting to talk about an entry door. Not my idea of a good first impression, but that was last year. Gonna be different from now on.....
Old 08-14-2023, 03:57 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Bingo! Just got off the phone with Mike at Then and Now. He assured me that the guts from a 2015 airtex pump will be ethanol resistant and fine to use in my old pump. He said I should check on the clocking of the attachment piece in the center as was mentioned here earlier. I checked with a straight edge and it was the same. Super nice guy and a pleasure to visit with. Glad I called!
Old 08-15-2023, 12:10 AM   #34
1952henry

Quite honest of him to tell you that instead of steering into a new kit.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:53 PM   #35
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
Quite honest of him to tell you that instead of steering into a new kit.
Couldn't agree more. Took less than a half hour to assemble into a good clean solid pump. Not so quick to install, but got it all wrapped up with no leaks, drips or errors. The electric pump I had been using is still in place for priming etc and I will hook up a switch for it in the cab.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:17 AM   #36
1952henry

Great news!