Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2023, 11:23 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Cool Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

At the urging of my friends who think my parts built jalopy needs a more period correct column and steering wheel, I have started the conversion in a serious way this afternoon. The outer tube of the landcruiser column is the exact same size as the ford's. My digital caliper needs a battery, but a visual inspection says the shaft from the toyota is solid and about 1/8" smaller in diameter than the ford's hollow one. I sawed the offending wheel off just below the blinker switch with a sawzall. My neighbor has a metal lathe and will turn me a stepped coupler that I will weld around the perimeters. Those welds will be around 2 1/4" long around the circumference. The ford tube has plenty of length to be a one piece tube when complete. From my stash I have 3 wheels to choose from. Maybe. The 2 spoke and the 3 spoke are 17" dia, same as the toyota, and the 4 spoke from a two ton is 18" dia. There are U joints to the factory PS box and without a column drop the shaft mounts right under the dash so the 18" is ok for seat clearance. I am liking the look of the 3 spoke but not sure if it's a ford product. Don't recall seeing one. It is on my junker 1/2 ton jailbar panel truck. Neither the 3 or 4 has the two threaded holes for my puller. I have a nice 2 spoke I can use also. The 3 spoke looks like it's gonna be a bear to pull and if I find it has incorrect center hole for the ford shaft I don't think it's worth the effort. Could this 3 spoker be a ford wheel, fitting my shaft correctly? cas3, you reading this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke.jpg (119.6 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke.jpg (132.5 KB, 185 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 11:44 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

If it would help make a decision, the 3 spoke, as pictured, is 180º out. The double spoke should be in the up position.
Old 04-03-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If it would help make a decision, the 3 spoke, as pictured, is 180º out. The double spoke should be in the up position.
It took a couple of seconds to figure out what you meant about the double spoke, but now I get it. I don't recall if the front wheels were pointing straight ahead or not. I will investigate when the sun comes up. How would I pull this wheel without the threaded holes? 3 jaw puller with a ratchet strap or hose clamp holding the jaws tight? The back surface of the wheel is conical.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:46 AM   #4
Mart

I use a split bearing puller behind my wheel. You could drill and tap holes if there is metal in the right place. Don't be tempted to knock the wheel off with a hammer or mallet. I broke a 40 wheel like that.
Not all Ford wheels use the same taper. Heavier trucks use a bigger taper. "Normal" ford shafts are around 3/4". FWIW I measured the taper at 5 degrees, a bit different from the often used 7 degrees for automotive use.

I just weld around the heavily bevelled shaft halves. I don't use a sleeve. Straightness is important.

I have just done some work of a similar nature and have videos in editing.

Mart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg puller.jpg (63.7 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by Mart; 04-03-2023 at 08:02 AM.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 07:54 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

GB Sisson:

I have a vintage Snap On Early Ford steering wheel puller that you can borrow if you'd like. I find it superior to the KR Wilson version. It will remove even the most stuck on steering wheel.

Let me know if you need it.

Thanks,

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:11 AM   #6
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
GB Sisson:

I have a vintage Snap On Early Ford steering wheel puller that you can borrow if you'd like. I find it superior to the KR Wilson version. It will remove even the most stuck on steering wheel.

Thanks,

Tim
Thanks Tim, very kind of you, but I tend to be impatient (impulsive?) so will probably adapt a 2 jaw puller to create something like in Mart's photo. I hope the wheel's taper is correct for my big truck shaft.
Old 04-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #7
cas3

I have used a bearing splitter like Mart, but I have also drilled and tapped two holes in the hub and then pulled on those with a flat bar across the top and a threaded bolt in the center.
I like 4 spoke wheels, even put a model A wheel in my 34 jalopy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg FCE6B474-E56F-483C-9181-996DE554A6E8.jpeg (93.7 KB, 29 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #8
51504bat

2 spoke too small, 4 spoke too big, 3 spoke just right. With apologizes to Goldilocks and the 3 bears.
Old 04-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #9
Lawson Cox

You don't say what period you are working toward on your jalopy, but for WIW, the 3 spoke wheel, to me, looks like an early 30s Ford wheel. I would go with that one if you can make it work. My 2¢.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #10
pistonbroke

Gary, I think the three spoke is a dodge, 36 to ? . Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #11
GB SISSON

Thanks all! I have sort of based this thing on the WW2 desert vehicles used before the jeep was brought in. The 3 spoke is in better shape, but both have cracks here and there. I have a black marine epoxy repair paste called marine-tex that I like for that. It might come down to size as I am seeing I have to stress the column upwards a bit to tuck it tight to the dash. My suburban 3rd row seat sits up above the seat riser higher than stock and that along with the steel pipe safety bar make it tight getting in and out of the drivers seat. Let's wait til I complete the hard part, getting a ford shaft and tube fastened in place and then we can mess with the wheels. Is that 3 spoke wheel on the panel something Ford used? OK, coffee break over, back to the shop.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #12
Reds34

Gary,

I've heard of paople using a torque tube clamshell for pulling steering wheels.

Red
Reds34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 09:17 PM   #13
GB SISSON

Lots of good info! Well, we have a wheel in place. Sleeve welded, tube repositioned and I shimmed the bearing plate thats down near the floor so I could mount the tube tight under the dash. I made a heavy duty mount to replace the one from the landcruiser. Some 1 x 1/4" strap and a pipe coupling with the threads ground out a bit. Will give that 3 spoker another shot of penetrant tonight and attempt the pull in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 spoke wheel 1.jpg (129.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke wheel 2.jpg (145.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke 3.jpg (132.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:58 PM   #14
al's28/33

I like the 3 spoke if they are evenly spaced and the 4 spoke is an original classic, which seems to be used on earlier type vehicles. 2 spoke appear to be too modern.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:18 PM   #15
cas3

Nice lookin mount, looks military. Not too many traces of Toyota left on the outside, good job again GB
Old 04-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #16
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
GB Sisson:

Thanks,

Tim
Tim, my mailing address is 517 P.... oh never mind I'll send you a PM....
(I'll eat crow, but I don't hanker for it)
Old 04-04-2023, 09:30 PM   #17
GB SISSON

This completes another chapter of this oddball project. Tim will be sending his puller soon, so for now I will take a few drives and see how the 18" feels. I have a nice glovebox door in a parts cab that will complete my dash, and then I need to dive into that transmission and firewall cover. At the firewall I have welded a structure that will hold the screw-on cover for a small residential electrical service/breaker box. This cover has a door so we can open it up on chilly rides home and the engine's fan blows plenty of hot air on us. Nice for the chills, but awful on a hot day while it's all wide open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4 spoke painted.jpg (155.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 4 spoke installed.jpg (131.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 04-05-2023, 05:21 PM   #18
flatford8

Two.....Three.....Four......different spokes for different folks......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #19
cas3

Good one Mark !!
Old 04-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #20
GB SISSON

Mark, Wasn't that sung by Country Joe and the Fish? I saw them years later performing at the potato festival in Malin Oregon.....
Old 04-05-2023, 09:22 PM   #21
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Mark, Wasn't that sung by Country Joe and the Fish? I saw them years later performing at the potato festival in Malin Oregon.....
Nope. It was "Sly & The family Stone" - (Different Strokes for Different Folks).

"Country Joe" did "1-2-3-4, What are we Fighting for".
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:11 PM   #22
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Nope. It was "Sly & The family Stone" - (Different Strokes for Different Folks).

"Country Joe" did "1-2-3-4, What are we Fighting for".
Huh? So that was Sly and the family Stone at the Potato Festival?
Just kidding, I know the difference.
Old 04-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #23
Manuel

Are you making a Long Range Desert Group truck?

Manuel in Oz
Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 09:52 PM   #24
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
Are you making a Long Range Desert Group truck?

Manuel in Oz
Pretty much... But everything under that ford skin is 100% toyota landcruiser FJ 55 wagon from 1979.

Here's the link to part one on youtube, you'll see part two there also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1KMIDX_j4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 79 Foyota.jpg (147.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 04-07-2023, 10:28 PM   #25
petehoovie

Quote:
Pretty much... But everything under that ford skin is 100% toyota landcruiser FJ 55 wagon from 1979.

Here's the link to part one on youtube, you'll see part two there also.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F1KMIDX_j4

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 11:32 PM   #26
cas3

Summer is almost here, and the foyota will be a valuable asset then.
Old 04-08-2023, 12:50 AM   #27
GB SISSON

I cannot wait! Been a long dreary winter here. There's a car show on May 13th at our county seat, Friday Harbor over on San Juan Island. About a 40 minute ferry ride. As a rule, I never exhibit at car shows, but a small one on an island could be a rule breaker. Who knows? Might be some ford guys there. I did buy a merc crank on that island a few years back. But what should I drive? Only my cummins tonner has wipers..... That may come into play.
Old 04-08-2023, 05:26 AM   #28
flatford8

Try these …….Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3370AA0F-F638-4674-BC2F-4206311F7556.jpeg (27.4 KB, 149 views)

Last edited by flatford8; 04-08-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #29
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Try these …….Mark

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-09-2023, 12:24 AM   #30
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Thanks Msrk, You just saved me a ton of money!
Old 04-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #31
Zeke3

I would like to see those in a vacuum model, then you could have a real old Ford experience.😁
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 10:22 PM   #32
GB SISSON

I don't do purple. I'm just gonna rub some rainex on these. Besides, I'd look silly wearing those things.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shakedown foyota glasses.JPG (112.7 KB, 123 views)
Old 04-10-2023, 10:29 PM   #33
GB SISSON

Oh, and speaking of steering wheels, My wife brought this up from the mailbox. Thanks a million Tim! The USPS comes through as well! I think I will pull the wheels off the tonners too and clean and grease the tapers so I can continue to play 'musical steering wheels' once I send this back. I'll get an action shot tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering wheel puller.jpg (117.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 04-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #34
Tim Ayers

You are welcome. Hope it does the job for you.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 10:48 AM   #35
petehoovie

Quote:
I don't do purple. I'm just gonna rub some rainex on these. Besides, I'd look silly wearing those things.....

Old 04-12-2023, 12:01 PM   #36
GB SISSON

Thank you Pete! Well I still haven't unstuck the 3 spoker. Tim's puller is one HD Son of a Gun , but it has a flat disc attachment for the threaded shaft end of things. Problem is with the mongrel 'dodge?' wheel there aren't many threads showing above the hub. So now I back the nut off a bit for clearance and it's only on by a few threads. The flat disc wants to slide sideways as I crank down on the handle and we know what will happen if the nut tilts, even a bit. Hmmmm, I found a lug nut that snaps securely over the spring ball and seats onto the shoulder. Then I found a bolt and threaded it in til it just contacts the face of the puller's threaded rod. Force will be on both faces now. Then I welded the short piece of bolt around the lugnet's conical end and chucked it into a drill and spun it on my 6x48 belt sander, forming a conical 'snap-on' attachment for Tim's puller. I will leave the wheel's nut on so I don't swell the end of the shaft. Heading down there now to exert some tension on that hub.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shade tree machine works.jpg (46.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-12-2023, 12:26 PM   #37
petehoovie

Quote:
Thank you Pete! Well I still haven't unstuck the 3 spoker. Tim's puller is one HD Son of a Gun , but it has a flat disc attachment for the threaded shaft end of things. Problem is with the mongrel 'dodge?' wheel there aren't many threads showing above the hub. So now I back the nut off a bit for clearance and it's only on by a few threads. The flat disc wants to slide sideways as I crank down on the handle and we know what will happen if the nut tilts, even a bit. Hmmmm, I found a lug nut that snaps securely over the spring ball and seats onto the shoulder. Then I found a bolt and threaded it in til it just contacts the face of the puller's threaded rod. Force will be on both faces now. Then I welded the short piece of bolt around the lugnet's conical end and chucked it into a drill and spun it on my 6x48 belt sander, forming a conical 'snap-on' attachment for Tim's puller. I will leave the wheel's nut on so I don't swell the end of the shaft. Heading down there now to exert some tension on that hub.

Old 04-13-2023, 05:39 PM   #38
38 coupe

GB, please add the next chapter, this inquiring mind wants to know!
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 12:33 AM   #39
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
GB, please add the next chapter, this inquiring mind wants to know!
You had to ask... No drama, just letting the thing soak in penetrant a bit longer with Tim's puller putting a strain on it. If it were MY puller, I'd put a length of 1" pipe on it and take another turn. The 18" wheel is in place and looking good in the meantime. Since the parts rig has no instrument panel in it I think I can get a short piece of 3/8" x 1 1/2" bar stock and my 3 lb estwing and get some good whacks on the bottom of the hub against the shaft. The bottom of the puller is horseshoe shaped so there's a gap for the bar stock. I have already cut the bell end off the tube below the wheel to get the puller on, but it was messed up anyways by some PO that didn't have a key so raised hell with the drop etc. I had to work about six hours in the woodshop on a door order today, but took a long lunch to work on other parts of this jalopy. Tuesday night was my wife's 24 hr eldercare shift so I was out in the woodshop til midnight adapting some truck wheels in the leftover heat of the woodstove. The landcruiser has same pattern as chev., six on 5.5 but uses a 4 1/4" center hole for the hubs. Other than custom or aftermarket crap like the 'wagon wheels/spokers/off-road beadlocks' etc with wide base (gag me with a tire spoon) the only thing that works and looks like a proper truck wheel is the non-USA toyota 16" split rim. I have some but sick of the crappy tubes we get and the rims are pretty rusty inside. I am going to run 255 85 16's which are 33" tall and skinny. .... Soooo, I bought four Dexstar 'conventional' type 16x6 trailer wheels from E-Trailer with six lugs on 5.5 and a 3 3/4" center hole and set out to cut the centers to mimic a toyota wheel with a 4 1/4: hole saw. (And no pilot). The toyota split rim is .159 thick and the trailer wheel is .187 Was a bitch to hold onto, but this 5'6, 150 lb Geezer has a good grip and a low center of gravity. My 'holder' was a 15" landcruiser wheel and tire for a base, bolted to my workpiece. But it's late and will get back to steering wheels and address this tire and wheel stuff on a different thread.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holesaw 1.JPG (128.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg holesaw 2.jpg (154.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg holesaw 3.jpg (122.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-14-2023 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:07 AM   #40
Mart

Wow. Good job on the wheels. I'm surprised you were actually able to do that.
Old 04-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #41
cas3

That was a tricky job GB! why not bolt a 2x4 on the back side to hold a pilot bit ?
Old 04-14-2023, 10:33 AM   #42
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
That was a tricky job GB! why not bolt a 2x4 on the back side to hold a pilot bit ?
My plan was to use a chevy front brake drum with a turned plug pounded into the hub. To make the plug, a 1/4" hole through a rough 2" locust dowel. Then turn the dowel on my wood lathe using the 1/4" hole as my centers for a drive in fit.
But I found something out when I unboxed the wheels and picked up the hole saw.
Old 04-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #43
GB SISSON

The holesaw was a press on fit over the formed lip on the dexstar wheels. I pressed it on by hand and flipped the wheel over and it stuck. I later placed the drill/holesaw combo over the lip and it remained horizontal. Was a bit nervous as to whether I could hang on when I hit the switch. But yes, about 1 minute in, the ring fell out below and I had a very clean and centered hole. I have a 3" drum sander for a drill that removed sharp edges. I then used a funny orange abrasive cup brush to scuff the powder coat for paint. The toyota wheels have 4 1/4" bore also, and no lip, but are lighter steel. We see these things in film clips in the Middle East and Africa with a dozen soldiers and a 50 cal in the truck bed, so I think they will haul my wife and I to town. Another thing to note is the hubs are 106 mm, giving a 1mm clearance at the hub/wheel interface, and the entire setup is a lug centric system. Think of the same interface on a VW bug or the other wide 5's we know and love! The blue tape keeps the chips out of the joint of rim and center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holesaw planted.jpg (143.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:37 PM   #44
GB SISSON

Finally sweet success!

Thank you Tim and others. Couple of good hard blows on a hardened 1/2" bolt held by vicegrips and it popped.I cleaned the wheel with waterless hand cleaner and it's hanging up behind the woodstove in the house. I will epoxy the cracks tonight, sand and paint tomorrow. Current thought is to put the 4 spoke in my diesel powered tonner as it needs all the steering leverage possible. The foyota has PS and difficult seating access so this 3 wheel should be just the ticket. I rec'd a nice ebay horn button this afternoon so now I have them for all 3 ford wheels. Will have to come up with something for the larger center on this 'dodge?' wheel. Perhaps someone who is part of the hamb would be willing to offer up this picture in an attempt to determine what it's from so I can search for a button. Diameter of hole is 3 1/8" and wheel is 17". I feel I messed up this thread with all the tire and wheel stuff. It's like I hijacked myself. A high school teacher once told me I need to "put my brain in gear before I put my mouth in motion"......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke pulled 1.jpg (120.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 3 spoke pulled 2.jpg (131.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:46 PM   #45
flatford8

It’s your thread....put anything you want in it.....I’ve enjoyed it all !.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 04-14-2023, 09:42 PM   #46
cas3

Never underestimate the skills on GB's mountain ! your method of using the upset on the wheel is better than my idea with a 2x4. You are centered, and since its not a hub piloted wheel no precision is needed. A slow drill I assume, my big old slow drill will throw you across the room if it snags, no drill press in the shop GB ?
Old 04-14-2023, 10:23 PM   #47
petehoovie

Quote:
Finally sweet success!

Thank you Tim and others. Couple of good hard blows on a hardened 1/2" bolt held by vicegrips and it popped.I cleaned the wheel with waterless hand cleaner and it's hanging up behind the woodstove in the house. I will epoxy the cracks tonight, sand and paint tomorrow. Current thought is to put the 4 spoke in my diesel powered tonner as it needs all the steering leverage possible. The foyota has PS and difficult seating access so this 3 wheel should be just the ticket. I rec'd a nice ebay horn button this afternoon so now I have them for all 3 ford wheels. Will have to come up with something for the larger center on this 'dodge?' wheel. Perhaps someone who is part of the hamb would be willing to offer up this picture in an attempt to determine what it's from so I can search for a button. Diameter of hole is 3 1/8" and wheel is 17". I feel I messed up this thread with all the tire and wheel stuff. It's like I hijacked myself. A high school teacher once told me I need to "put my brain in gear before I put my mouth in motion"......

Old 04-14-2023, 10:25 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Never underestimate the skills on GB's mountain ! your method of using the upset on the wheel is better than my idea with a 2x4. You are centered, and since its not a hub piloted wheel no precision is needed. A slow drill I assume, my big old slow drill will throw you across the room if it snags, no drill press in the shop GB ?

I can always count on you and Mark to embrace the 'inner hillbilly' that lurks just below the surface.... Well, sometimes below. I have a greasy drill press in the truck shop and a clean one in the cabinet shop. I would have had to make a big table top to hold the wheel and besides, the holesaw never grabbed. I can tell you that this Milwaukee stayed sharp for the first 3 wheels and about 3/4 of the way through #4 I had to lean on and Hope for the Best. Gonna watch a show with the misses and then bust out the epoxy.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:21 PM   #49
GB SISSON

In the pursuit of 'instant gratification' I made a horn button from a gas cap. There was no sign of any attachment tabs or hardware to hold the horn button in this 3 spoke wheel. To attach this button I used the outer neck of a gas fill tube sawn off at about 1 1/8" and welded some flat material to the bottom, forming a cup with a 3/4" center hole I found a large diameter light spring to exert the needed upward pressure and removed the hard cork gasket for an easy rotate. Parts are in the hermetically sealed paint booth awaiting installation.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:52 PM   #50
GB SISSON

Building an ergonomically correct cockpit is a real chore. My hat's off to the folks that are good at it. There are many factors involved, particularly in a cramped space and never mind that the seat is as far back as possible and fixed. While the wheel was out I attended to some mechanical improvements in the pedal assembly and my transmission hump, which will be addressed next. The 3 spoke wheel did fine and gives me some additional room that helps. The gas cap makes a fairly convincing horn button. I still don't have a horn, but will probably do something unconventional as the toyota end of the column isn't hollow. It's always something.... And that's what keeps me going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke in.jpg (145.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:29 AM   #51
petehoovie

Quote:
Building an ergonomically correct cockpit is a real chore. My hat's off to the folks that are good at it. There are many factors involved, particularly in a cramped space and never mind that the seat is as far back as possible and fixed. While the wheel was out I attended to some mechanical improvements in the pedal assembly and my transmission hump, which will be addressed next. The 3 spoke wheel did fine and gives me some additional room that helps. The gas cap makes a fairly convincing horn button. I still don't have a horn, but will probably do something unconventional as the toyota end of the column isn't hollow. It's always something.... And that's what keeps me going.

Old 04-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #52
cas3

Horn button looks good. Should have Foyota painted on it to keep everyone confused
Old 04-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #53
51504bat

I know it's been a lot of work to ditch the Toyota wheel but the result is amazing. This build just keeps getting better. Maybe a front mounted winch or would that make it look too much like something that the "bead lock" crowd would like?
Old 04-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #54
Mart

The new (old) 3 spoke looks 10 times better than the Toyota wheel. The centre cap looks great too.

Old 04-16-2023, 02:39 PM   #55
GB SISSON

Awe shucks guys!, But I am really glad I swapped it out. Horn button with Foyota in Ford script! I'm thinking have someone 3D print it in raised script. I have thought of rearanging the letters from a junk tailgate. The R becomes a Y, D is the O, stem from the D is the T etc. Too much work, but the script horn button would be awesome! PS, when building the attachment cup for my 'horn button' I kept thinking "where have I seen this part before?". It just came to me. Starter cup on the rope start recoil of a million lawn mowers, with a little tab formed downward into the keyway.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Just looked at CL 'cars and trucks'. This was right there at the top. I can't recall who said the 3 spoke looked like a dodge wheel, but he gets the gold star.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...611248302.html
Old 04-17-2023, 12:03 AM   #57
petehoovie

Quote:
Just looked at CL 'cars and trucks'. This was right there at the top. I can't recall who said the 3 spoke looked like a dodge wheel, but he gets the gold star.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...611248302.html

It is all original except the Engine and Transmission have been replaced with a newer 1978 Dodge D-50 Truck Engine and Transmission.

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-17-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #58
cas3

Thats a good lookin truck !
Old 04-18-2023, 10:31 PM   #59
GB SISSON

I like it too, and I think it's refreshing that the seller installed an economical mitsubishi 4 banger instead of cramming the most hp that he could fit. And bat I do like winches, I have a factory toyota pto winch with the pto and shaft etc. Thought seriously of installing up front, but as usual was excited to get the rig in one piece and driving. I have gone through the design/engineering phase since then, but most likely a next winter project.
Of course the new steering wheel has highlighted the other shortcomings of my 'interior'. Lack of glovebox and it's door, bad hardware store aluminum windshield garnish mouldings, lots of bolt holes in the dash,etc. Last night after dinner I built the first of four exterior plywood jailbar gloveboxes. I cut out enough parts for four because none of mine have a glovebox. I installed it in the jalopy and fitted the nice door I had. Then after lunch today I removed that circular doo-dad in the center of the dash and my 'bar buoy' gimballed cup holder above it. Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind. Looking better and will get some pics tomorrow. Of course the new tires and freshly painted wheels are making the fenders look bad, but I have my limits. The gorrilla tape is still intact on the cuff of my wool coat so I don't look like some yuppie tourist driving around......
Old 04-19-2023, 03:59 AM   #60
flatford8

I’m happy to hear you saved the Gorilla taped “ Sunday Coat”.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 04-19-2023, 08:54 AM   #61
51504bat

Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind.

I use one of these for jobs like that. I got mine at Amazon but they are available elsewhere as well. But I sure with a little back woods ingenuity you could fab one up with an old glove, a small magnet, and some ca glue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fm.jpg (26.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-19-2023, 02:40 PM   #62
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51504bat View Post
Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind.

I use one of these for jobs like that. I got mine at Amazon but they are available elsewhere as well. But I sure with a little back woods ingenuity you could fab one up with an old glove, a small magnet, and some ca glue.
That's a great idea! When my youngest kid worked for me in the woodshop I would often spirit him away to my truck repair facility to reach into areas where my numb old, saw mangled fingers couldn't bend to.

Last edited by GB SISSON; 04-24-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2023, 04:07 PM   #63
GB SISSON

Coincidence? I think not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foyota script.jpg (111.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-24-2023, 04:23 PM   #64
51504bat

Old 04-24-2023, 05:11 PM   #65
GB SISSON

I have a beat up '42 hood in my hood collection. It had exactly 1/2 of an emblem. I had one pot metal toyota hood emblem and one plastic one. I doubt those '42 hood emblems are reproduced so it gives me something to look for next time I get to a swap meet. And thanks for the enlargement Bat.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:38 PM   #66
cas3

Nice !!!
Old 04-24-2023, 08:17 PM   #67
flatford8

It was meant to be!....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 04-25-2023, 01:16 AM   #68
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
It was meant to be!....Mark
That's what I was thinking... in my 54 years of motoring it's been all about old ford trucks and toyota landcruisers. They were bound to co-mingle.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:47 AM   #69
Scotty's 52 F3

Gary, that emblem looks like it was made that way. The capitol F almost looks like a T. Perfect balance between the Toyota and Ford. Just like the truck. VERY cool.
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 11:43 PM   #70
GB SISSON

Once again, thanks for the encouragement. Yesterday I pulled the windshield frame off to modify the bolt holes so I can install the safety glass that I had cut a year ago. I have had plexiglass in it and with a summer's worth of gravel road dust I figured it was time. The frame has six 1/4-20 studs and two machine screws for attachment. Of course I had to remove my new glovebox and lid to get at two of them, so it's the age old three steps forward and four steps back.
Old 04-26-2023, 11:50 PM   #71
cas3

I like to do things twice to keep busy..........
Old 04-27-2023, 12:15 AM   #72
GB SISSON

Busy is my middle name. I gotta finish and deliver that hutch in the background by Friday, my acre of lawn is a foot high and my wife wants us to take the foyota to the mainland on Saturday as it's supposed to be in the 70s for once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg windshield rehab 2.jpg (136.3 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg windshield rehab 1.jpg (146.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 04-27-2023, 12:31 AM   #73
cas3

Have a nice trip to the mainland, make all the folks there jealous !
Old 04-27-2023, 12:40 AM   #74
petehoovie

Quote:
Busy is my middle name. I gotta finish and deliver that hutch in the background by Friday, my acre of lawn is a foot high and my wife wants us to take the foyota to the mainland on Saturday as it's supposed to be in the 70s for once.

Old 05-08-2023, 12:46 AM   #75
GB SISSON

Thank you Pete! Well the mainland didn't happen as I worked right through that weekend on the hutch and other aspects of that job because the moving van was coming of Sunday, which it did. And now, being the next Sunday I worked both days this weekend as well. I work alone these days and I forget how long stuff takes without a helper. Havent had a day off in something like 13 days. Today was sort of like work as the next job is on the mainland and the client picked me up in his 1964 cessna and took me over to his jobsite for measuring etc. Got to see my 'homestead' from the air too!
The windshield came out really well and new garnish trim on the inside all around, did some painting, finalized my glovebox and some other stuff and have been re-working the pedal assemblies. I found the gas pedal was too close to the brake pedal and as my brake linings seat in, the increased travel has me accelerating as I brake at times. Not the best.... Gas pedal is now well situated to the right. Funny thing about the 3 spoke wheel. My good friend and neighbor has parted out some old dodge power wagons and currently has a 46 dodge 1/2 ton. He commented on my dodge wheel and says he has 2 horn buttons and all the attachment stuff in a coffee can in his basement if I want them, so now I guess I have a spare gas cap! It's late and I have another very busy week ahead, but after all this overcommitment crap is done I plan on taking a month off, maybe Mid July-mid August.
Planning to go to a car show on one of the other islands next Saturday. Place called Friday Harbor, the county seat. Figure I will drive the Foyota (sposed to be 80 degrees) and my buddy Ron may drive the woodie. If I see any moving vans on the way over, I'm gonna duck my head.....

Last edited by GB SISSON; 05-08-2023 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 03:38 PM   #76
flatford8

I thought you were coming East over a Memorial Day?.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
Old 05-08-2023, 09:20 PM   #77
GB SISSON

We're coming the week before. We arrive May 18 at Logan and leave on the 23rd. Short trip. Probably no time to head North as it's pretty much about family (not ragged old trucks) Dang. My sister is coming from Brighton England. Wonder if Mart and I should figure out a parts swap. I'm sure Sis has some room in that suitcase.
I completed 2 of my smaller projects today and tomorrow it is 'Jailbar Day' on the SE slope of Mount Pickett. First thing I'll do is play steering wheel roulette so I can send Tim's puller back! The old time steering wheel was truly the crown jewel that brought this jalopy back in time. The toyota wheel now hangs on a nail just the way I cut it off with a sawzall. Blinker stalk, original key in the ignition... Somewhere out there a landcruiser guy is dreaming of finding that prize......
Old 05-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #78
flatford8

Well that’s unfortunate your stay will be short.......I was hoping we were going to meet.......I’m retiring in December and we’re going to take a ride......maybe we’ll see you out your way next year....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver