Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2023, 09:50 AM   #41
cas3

Default Re: Two spoke, three spoke, or four spoke wheel?

That was a tricky job GB! why not bolt a 2x4 on the back side to hold a pilot bit ?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:33 AM   #42
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
That was a tricky job GB! why not bolt a 2x4 on the back side to hold a pilot bit ?
My plan was to use a chevy front brake drum with a turned plug pounded into the hub. To make the plug, a 1/4" hole through a rough 2" locust dowel. Then turn the dowel on my wood lathe using the 1/4" hole as my centers for a drive in fit.
But I found something out when I unboxed the wheels and picked up the hole saw.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:01 AM   #43
GB SISSON

The holesaw was a press on fit over the formed lip on the dexstar wheels. I pressed it on by hand and flipped the wheel over and it stuck. I later placed the drill/holesaw combo over the lip and it remained horizontal. Was a bit nervous as to whether I could hang on when I hit the switch. But yes, about 1 minute in, the ring fell out below and I had a very clean and centered hole. I have a 3" drum sander for a drill that removed sharp edges. I then used a funny orange abrasive cup brush to scuff the powder coat for paint. The toyota wheels have 4 1/4" bore also, and no lip, but are lighter steel. We see these things in film clips in the Middle East and Africa with a dozen soldiers and a 50 cal in the truck bed, so I think they will haul my wife and I to town. Another thing to note is the hubs are 106 mm, giving a 1mm clearance at the hub/wheel interface, and the entire setup is a lug centric system. Think of the same interface on a VW bug or the other wide 5's we know and love! The blue tape keeps the chips out of the joint of rim and center.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg holesaw planted.jpg (143.7 KB, 18 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:37 PM   #44
GB SISSON

Finally sweet success!

Thank you Tim and others. Couple of good hard blows on a hardened 1/2" bolt held by vicegrips and it popped.I cleaned the wheel with waterless hand cleaner and it's hanging up behind the woodstove in the house. I will epoxy the cracks tonight, sand and paint tomorrow. Current thought is to put the 4 spoke in my diesel powered tonner as it needs all the steering leverage possible. The foyota has PS and difficult seating access so this 3 wheel should be just the ticket. I rec'd a nice ebay horn button this afternoon so now I have them for all 3 ford wheels. Will have to come up with something for the larger center on this 'dodge?' wheel. Perhaps someone who is part of the hamb would be willing to offer up this picture in an attempt to determine what it's from so I can search for a button. Diameter of hole is 3 1/8" and wheel is 17". I feel I messed up this thread with all the tire and wheel stuff. It's like I hijacked myself. A high school teacher once told me I need to "put my brain in gear before I put my mouth in motion"......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke pulled 1.jpg (120.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 3 spoke pulled 2.jpg (131.5 KB, 127 views)
Old 04-14-2023, 08:46 PM   #45
flatford8

It’s your thread....put anything you want in it.....I’ve enjoyed it all !.......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:42 PM   #46
cas3

Never underestimate the skills on GB's mountain ! your method of using the upset on the wheel is better than my idea with a 2x4. You are centered, and since its not a hub piloted wheel no precision is needed. A slow drill I assume, my big old slow drill will throw you across the room if it snags, no drill press in the shop GB ?
Old 04-14-2023, 10:23 PM   #47
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Finally sweet success!

Thank you Tim and others. Couple of good hard blows on a hardened 1/2" bolt held by vicegrips and it popped.I cleaned the wheel with waterless hand cleaner and it's hanging up behind the woodstove in the house. I will epoxy the cracks tonight, sand and paint tomorrow. Current thought is to put the 4 spoke in my diesel powered tonner as it needs all the steering leverage possible. The foyota has PS and difficult seating access so this 3 wheel should be just the ticket. I rec'd a nice ebay horn button this afternoon so now I have them for all 3 ford wheels. Will have to come up with something for the larger center on this 'dodge?' wheel. Perhaps someone who is part of the hamb would be willing to offer up this picture in an attempt to determine what it's from so I can search for a button. Diameter of hole is 3 1/8" and wheel is 17". I feel I messed up this thread with all the tire and wheel stuff. It's like I hijacked myself. A high school teacher once told me I need to "put my brain in gear before I put my mouth in motion"......

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 10:25 PM   #48
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Never underestimate the skills on GB's mountain ! your method of using the upset on the wheel is better than my idea with a 2x4. You are centered, and since its not a hub piloted wheel no precision is needed. A slow drill I assume, my big old slow drill will throw you across the room if it snags, no drill press in the shop GB ?

I can always count on you and Mark to embrace the 'inner hillbilly' that lurks just below the surface.... Well, sometimes below. I have a greasy drill press in the truck shop and a clean one in the cabinet shop. I would have had to make a big table top to hold the wheel and besides, the holesaw never grabbed. I can tell you that this Milwaukee stayed sharp for the first 3 wheels and about 3/4 of the way through #4 I had to lean on and Hope for the Best. Gonna watch a show with the misses and then bust out the epoxy.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:21 PM   #49
GB SISSON

In the pursuit of 'instant gratification' I made a horn button from a gas cap. There was no sign of any attachment tabs or hardware to hold the horn button in this 3 spoke wheel. To attach this button I used the outer neck of a gas fill tube sawn off at about 1 1/8" and welded some flat material to the bottom, forming a cup with a 3/4" center hole I found a large diameter light spring to exert the needed upward pressure and removed the hard cork gasket for an easy rotate. Parts are in the hermetically sealed paint booth awaiting installation.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:52 PM   #50
GB SISSON

Building an ergonomically correct cockpit is a real chore. My hat's off to the folks that are good at it. There are many factors involved, particularly in a cramped space and never mind that the seat is as far back as possible and fixed. While the wheel was out I attended to some mechanical improvements in the pedal assembly and my transmission hump, which will be addressed next. The 3 spoke wheel did fine and gives me some additional room that helps. The gas cap makes a fairly convincing horn button. I still don't have a horn, but will probably do something unconventional as the toyota end of the column isn't hollow. It's always something.... And that's what keeps me going.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 spoke in.jpg (145.8 KB, 109 views)
Old 04-16-2023, 12:29 AM   #51
petehoovie

Quote:
Building an ergonomically correct cockpit is a real chore. My hat's off to the folks that are good at it. There are many factors involved, particularly in a cramped space and never mind that the seat is as far back as possible and fixed. While the wheel was out I attended to some mechanical improvements in the pedal assembly and my transmission hump, which will be addressed next. The 3 spoke wheel did fine and gives me some additional room that helps. The gas cap makes a fairly convincing horn button. I still don't have a horn, but will probably do something unconventional as the toyota end of the column isn't hollow. It's always something.... And that's what keeps me going.

"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

Old 04-16-2023, 10:11 AM   #52
cas3

Horn button looks good. Should have Foyota painted on it to keep everyone confused
Old 04-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #53
51504bat

I know it's been a lot of work to ditch the Toyota wheel but the result is amazing. This build just keeps getting better. Maybe a front mounted winch or would that make it look too much like something that the "bead lock" crowd would like?
Old 04-16-2023, 11:54 AM   #54
Mart

The new (old) 3 spoke looks 10 times better than the Toyota wheel. The centre cap looks great too.

Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 02:39 PM   #55
GB SISSON

Awe shucks guys!, But I am really glad I swapped it out. Horn button with Foyota in Ford script! I'm thinking have someone 3D print it in raised script. I have thought of rearanging the letters from a junk tailgate. The R becomes a Y, D is the O, stem from the D is the T etc. Too much work, but the script horn button would be awesome! PS, when building the attachment cup for my 'horn button' I kept thinking "where have I seen this part before?". It just came to me. Starter cup on the rope start recoil of a million lawn mowers, with a little tab formed downward into the keyway.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:33 PM   #56
GB SISSON

Just looked at CL 'cars and trucks'. This was right there at the top. I can't recall who said the 3 spoke looked like a dodge wheel, but he gets the gold star.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...611248302.html
Old 04-17-2023, 12:03 AM   #57
petehoovie

Quote:
Just looked at CL 'cars and trucks'. This was right there at the top. I can't recall who said the 3 spoke looked like a dodge wheel, but he gets the gold star.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...611248302.html

It is all original except the Engine and Transmission have been replaced with a newer 1978 Dodge D-50 Truck Engine and Transmission.

Last edited by petehoovie; 04-17-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #58
cas3

Thats a good lookin truck !
Old 04-18-2023, 10:31 PM   #59
GB SISSON

I like it too, and I think it's refreshing that the seller installed an economical mitsubishi 4 banger instead of cramming the most hp that he could fit. And bat I do like winches, I have a factory toyota pto winch with the pto and shaft etc. Thought seriously of installing up front, but as usual was excited to get the rig in one piece and driving. I have gone through the design/engineering phase since then, but most likely a next winter project.
Of course the new steering wheel has highlighted the other shortcomings of my 'interior'. Lack of glovebox and it's door, bad hardware store aluminum windshield garnish mouldings, lots of bolt holes in the dash,etc. Last night after dinner I built the first of four exterior plywood jailbar gloveboxes. I cut out enough parts for four because none of mine have a glovebox. I installed it in the jalopy and fitted the nice door I had. Then after lunch today I removed that circular doo-dad in the center of the dash and my 'bar buoy' gimballed cup holder above it. Next I started putting carraige bolts in the top of dash panel holes. The nuts are a pain to get started up behind. Looking better and will get some pics tomorrow. Of course the new tires and freshly painted wheels are making the fenders look bad, but I have my limits. The gorrilla tape is still intact on the cuff of my wool coat so I don't look like some yuppie tourist driving around......
Old 04-19-2023, 03:59 AM   #60
flatford8

I’m happy to hear you saved the Gorilla taped “ Sunday Coat”.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote