Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-11-2023, 09:14 AM   #1
BillCNC

Question Rain-X ?

Hey All,

I was wondering if anyone uses Rain-X on their A's, and is it safe for our older glass? I have seen both Yes and No. I've read to keep it away from the glass edges.

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:36 AM   #2
TerryO

Default Re: Rain-X ?

Rain X works much better then wipers on Model A's...

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
Dean Lemoine

Agree with Terryo
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
gary678*

Wipers on a Model A are an ornament; Rainex is far superior if used properly.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #5
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary678* View Post
Wipers on a Model A are an ornament; Rainex is far superior if used properly.
I guess the question then becomes, how to use it properly?

On our windshields, I've seen somewhere a while back that some products (mostly alcohol based) cause the glass to bubble and separate if it reaches the edges of the glass and is the reason the edges were painted with something to seal the layers edges..

Regards
Bill
Old 06-11-2023, 10:05 AM   #6
Will N

I wouldn't go on a multi day trip without first Rain-Xing the windshield. If there's a possibility of rain, gotta Rain-X. The wiper is nest to useless.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #7
GeneBob

One question would be:
Why do you still worry about the original glass? For safety sake, replace your glass.
I thought my car had the two layer safety glass from the factory until I replaced it and found it was plate glass.

Last edited by GeneBob; 06-11-2023 at 10:20 AM. Reason: add plate glass statement
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:23 AM   #8
Big hammer

Soak a paper towel with the product, wipe it on, let it dry, buff it off. Bug guts don’t stick to the windshield as bad, easier to clean. Save your dollars and replace the old plate glass.
Old 06-11-2023, 11:27 AM   #9
Phil Brown

Rain X.........definitely, even in San Diego where it supposedly never rains
And get rid of that old windshield, very dangerous. Even a rock kicked up by the vehicle in front of you could turn that plate glass into shards and really cut you or your passengers up
And blood is hard to clean out of upholstery
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:05 PM   #10
Chuck Dempsey

Just WHICH Rain-X product to you folks use? 'Original Treatment'? '2-in-1 Cleaner and Rain Repellent'?

Thanks
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:05 PM   #11
BillCNC

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, ... this does not look like plate glass does it? It looks like air bubbles getting between 2 pieces laminated together which is why I made the post because I don't want to make it any worse.

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230611_105957[1].jpg (42.4 KB, 91 views)
Old 06-11-2023, 01:23 PM   #12
Gene F

Right. Single strength glass does not bubble, because it's not safety glass. All As were safety glass in the windshield, and plate glass elsewhere. Don't believe me, call a reputable parts dealer, and ask about their glass packages.

Guy in our club last year was fallowing a dump truck on the way to our Veterans Day parade thing, and stone hit his putting the usual "divot" in it. Definately not plate glass.

FUI; Rain-X works best when applied more than once. Just my experience. I have an electric wiper (1928), and they are the way to go.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:25 PM   #13
bobbader

Simple question ................ and not meant to offend anyone ........... If water doesn't get in there when you wash the car, why would a spray of RainX (or, as someone suggested, a cloth otherwise saturated with RainX) cause any more of a problem? Although, my wife tells me "THEY SAY" we shouldn't leave medicine in the MEDICINE CABINET in the bathroom because the humidity when we shower will SOMEHOW get into the pill bottle and weaken the meds deeming them useless. My solution? Take Navy showers ............ get in, lather, rinse, dry, done. LOL !!!! Good luck.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:32 PM   #14
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbader View Post
Simple question ................ and not meant to offend anyone ........... If water doesn't get in there when you wash the car, why would a spray of RainX (or, as someone suggested, a cloth otherwise saturated with RainX) cause any more of a problem? Although, my wife tells me "THEY SAY" we shouldn't leave medicine in the MEDICINE CABINET in the bathroom because the humidity when we shower will SOMEHOW get into the pill bottle and weaken the meds deeming them useless. My solution? Take Navy showers ............ get in, lather, rinse, dry, done. LOL !!!! Good luck.
Whos "they" ?
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 01:35 PM   #15
BillCNC

Quote:
Water is pretty thick compared to alcohol, and other chemicals. Just because water wont get in there, alcohol could flow like a river in the same area. The same reason just one drop of alcohol will release hot glue almost instantly, it flows right under it.

Regards
Bill
Old 06-11-2023, 04:08 PM   #16
bobbader

Thanks Bill. I stand corrected and totally understand that explanation. Bob
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 05:22 PM   #17
BillCNC

:
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I stand corrected and totally understand that explanation. Bob
No problem.

I think Big Hammer has the safest method. Don't spray the glass itself, just spray it onto whatever you use to apply it. More control and without runs. I think I'll stay .5" away from all the glass edges just to be safe but before I do, I'll clean the class really well with Chemical Guy's Hard Water Spot Remover first so I don't lock in anything under the Rain-X.

Thanks Guy's

Regards
Bill
Old 06-11-2023, 08:16 PM   #18
connecticut mike

Alcohol is an excellent solvent for the interlayer in laminated safety glass - water is not.

Mike
connecticut mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 10:02 PM   #19
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
One question would be:
Why do you still worry about the original glass? For safety sake, replace your glass.
I thought my car had the two layer safety glass from the factory until I replaced it and found it was plate glass.
Your car DID HAVE SAFETY GLASS when it left the factory. At some point it was replaced with plate glass.
There is also single sheet safety glass - tempered glass. It breaks into 1,000s of pieces when it breaks. It's not good for windshields but most cars since the late 60s use it for side and rear glass - because it's cheaper and lighter. Tempered is harder to cut/modify than safety plate so it's seldom used outside of its original design.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:33 PM   #20
GeneBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelA29 View Post
Your car DID HAVE SAFETY GLASS when it left the factory. At some point it was replaced with plate glass.
There is also single sheet safety glass - tempered glass. It breaks into 1,000s of pieces when it breaks. It's not good for windshields but most cars since the late 60s use it for side and rear glass - because it's cheaper and lighter. Tempered is harder to cut/modify than safety plate so it's seldom used outside of its original design.
What was on my car was definitely plate glass and yes it could have been replaced some time in the 88 years before I bought it. I replaced the windshield with safety glass and the side/rear with tempered. I read that the factory windshields were not all safety glass, I don't know.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote