Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2017, 01:24 PM   #61
1955cj5

Default Re: Shifting trouble in a 29'

Here are the two carriers....

The short one is for the AA truck

I think if he had an AA carrier in there it would not work at all...you'd have a couple inches between the throwout bearing and the pressure plate
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment.php.jpeg (5.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #62
iamskee

We'll seeing as I am able to retract it manually by pulling the pedal pack, isn't it safe to assume everything is correct? If it was shorter/longer it wouldn't retract when I pulled the pedal back. I am going to take the spring off and see if I can do anything to loosen it without the resistance of the spring.
iamskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #63
Benson

ADDED 05-16-17 7.45 PM
i agree with post #7. I missed this post until just now.

I think that the clutch disk might have been bent during installation and is dragging against the two halves of the pressure plate.

Notice in video # 2 for the 5 seconds between 10 and 15 seconds he is able to shift several times between R and 1st

and then in video 3 He does same thing with 2 and 3rd gear ... once he gets it into one of gears ONLY IF he shifts fast enough.

If he shifts too slow it is back to grinding again.

That is what I see.

Maybe there is rust on pressure plate or it is bent and that is preventing the disk from stopping when pedal is depressed all of the way.

1. I would turn off the engine.

2. Put transmission in 1st gear.

3. depress clutch all the way leaving trans in gear.

4. Start the engine and SLOWLY engage the clutch part way, then push pedal down repeatedly while engine turns.

The idea is to wear off the rust on pressure plate if there is any.

OR if plate is bent wear off the HIGH spots on the clutch disk to allow clutch disk to stop turning so you can get the trans into gear.

Do not do this for too long ... you do not want to overheat the clutch disk.

Note: Edited several lines --- re-read the post please.

Last edited by Benson; 05-16-2017 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Edited several lines --- re-read the post please.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #64
J Franklin

Make sure to oil the shaft that moves the throwout collar and also note that this spring is fully retracted as yours needs to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1472.jpg (80.2 KB, 30 views)
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

I see the above picture is of a AA bellhousing and TO bearing, in case anyone is wondering why it looks different. You can also see the 6 mounting bolts of the heavy 4 speed tranny.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #66
iamskee

Ok I will oil it. Is there anything wrong with shooting some PB Blaster/wd-40 on the shaft if I am carefull not to get it anywhere else? Or should I strictly stick to some sort of oil (if so, what oil is preferred?)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #67
iamskee

PS you guys are awesome...!
Old 05-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #68
1955cj5

Based on your previous pictures I'd say you have the correct throwout bearing carrier....

Here is a different view of the AA carrier...it's really short!

I would spray some lube from the outside of the clutch housing, onto to the bushings on both sides, where the clutch shaft rides...

and while your at it, spray a little on the clutch pedal where it rides on the upper shaft...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010505.JPG (143.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #69
1955cj5

Here are the two places I'd lube the shaft from outside the clutch housing.

For now PB Blaster will be fine if that is all you have..you should learn pretty quickly if it helps any. Later you may want some LPS Lube Spray or similar..

The spot with the clutch lever is directly below the pedals.

The other spot to lube is on the opposite side of the clutch housing, under the passenger's feet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020118.JPG (103.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P1020120.JPG (105.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #70
iamskee

1955 thank ou for the pictures. So as I wrote a few days ago, I used a grease gun on the fitting and as suggested I just used some penetrating oil on both places 1955 suggested. Results are the same. . Here are a couple pics of the same spots 1955 took, but on my car, as well as a short video I just took AFTER I sprayed the penetrating oil.

He last few seconds of the video show the bearing move forward when I press the pedal and release the pedal. THEN I do the same as the previous two times and lifted the pedal up. I just thought I should say this since you can't see my foot in the last shot.

https://vimeo.com/217745847?ref=em-v-share
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3498.jpg (50.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (43.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #71
Tom Wesenberg

It looks like you are pulling the clutch pedal back much more than it should be able to come back. Your clutch stop is likely worn quite a bit. When the floorboards are in place, they should also keep the pedal from coming so far back.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:02 PM   #72
1955cj5

In the second picture in post #70 it looks like your clutch release arm is bent, right at the end where it connects to the adjusting arm yoke ....is it bent or is that just the picture angle?

The release arm should look like the one in the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1183.jpg (82.5 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by 1955cj5; 05-16-2017 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Better Picture
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #73
Bob C

I went back and glanced at your posts and I don't see where you ever measured your
free play. Pull the pedal all the way back till it hits the stop and them measure how much travel you have in the pedal till the throw out bearing just touches the clutch fingers.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:42 PM   #74
denniskliesen

What about the collar up on the pedal shaft? I've seen quite a few of those showing a lot of wear, might be part of the problem.

https://www.brattons.com/clutch-and-...ft-collar.html

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/br...l-shaft-collar
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #75
Benson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
In the second picture in post #70 it looks like your clutch release arm is bent, right at the end where it connects to the adjusting arm yoke ....is it bent or is that just the picture angle?

The release arm should look like the one in the picture.

You are right it appears that someone heated the arm and bent it ...

Because the arm had to be bent, I think that fork that pushes throw out bearing has been installed in wrong position on the shaft and someone heated arm and bent it in order to get the Clevis installed.

Maybe fork was installed backwards or wrong fork was installed?

The angle of the arm in the photo is way off to have leverage and travel in order to disengage clutch.

Release Arm is not horizontal as it should be and as shown in # 72 ...

Maybe a homemade shaft was fashioned from a 3/4 inch steel bar or a second hole was drilled if shaft is correct one.

Last edited by Benson; 05-17-2017 at 04:51 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #76
iverson

I know there are other clutch problems but a quick fix to bring the pedal back and save the thro out bearing is put a spring on the linkage from under the car
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:54 AM   #77
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not seeing a problem with the arm. The picture is being shot from above looking down, so it doesn't show the arm being horizontal, but it looks good to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #78
iamskee

Sorry about the bad angle before. Here are a couple I just took. I *think* this is correct.

Now I plan on removing the spring and disconnecting the pedal clevis which should free up ALL resistance on the bearing. If spring is found to be inadequate I will order a new one. If all else fails I can iversons suggestion and just add an additional return spring under the pedal.

I know I am new to this and though it may seem simple, I am still hesitant and like to ask for help when in doubt. Thank you again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3508.jpg (60.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3509.jpg (39.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3510.jpg (54.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 05-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #79
iamskee

Little update. Removed the spring, it is held on by the black wire seen in the video. The hub does not move forward/backward with the pedal at rest, if that makes sense. If I pull the pedal all the way back the hub moves freely. I don't think the spring is bad but I sure hope there's a fix for this without removing everything as I do not have the means to. Anyone else experience this? It's almost as if the hub is stuck when too far forward and need the pedal to pull it back. The car was sitting for a while, but I doubt rust could have formed in just a small section causing it to bind when forward. Two videos, essentially the same think just different angle.

https://vimeo.com/217826898

https://vimeo.com/217827834
Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM   #80
iamskee

A few weeks ago, before I knew about the Ford barn, and after reading Les Andrews book, I adjusted the clutch pedal travel. Today I measured and it had about 2" free play. I know, too much. I adjusted the rod and is now about 1 1/4 -1 1/2" free play. But here's the thing. After I adjusted the free play, I can no longer get the bearing to move forward/backward at all, like I did in the videos. I think this is because with the reduced free play, the more forward the hub is on the shaft. And since my issue seems to be stickiness at the front of the shaft, it is not allowing the hub to retract as it should.