Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
GB SISSON

Default a few of 'My Favorite Things'

With apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein and Julie Andrews....

Ancient Ford pickups with bias ply tires,
Real flathead engines and cloth covered wires,
Full floating axles with overload springs,
These are a few of my favorite things.

Flatbeds and flaresides with 6 volt ignitions,
Bench seats and cab lights and crash box transmissions,
Faded out paintjobs without any bling,
These are a few of my favorite things

Wheels with stock hubcaps and unaltered dashes,
NOS fenders without cracks or bashes'
Mufflers and tailpipes not tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

When the clutch slips, when the seal drips
When I'm feeling sad,
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so Sad,
And then I don't feeeeel so bad.......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 PM   #2
fourfords

Default Re: a few of 'My Favorite Things'

Very entertaining! Well done! Can you do one to "Smoke on the water?" "We all came out to Hershey.........."
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
GB SISSON

With apologies to Deep Purple?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 12-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

love it.....thanks for sharing....lol....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
39topless

Way cool. Thanks
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
GB SISSON

Did this on FTE about 3 years ago and many chimed in with verses of their own..... Just sayin' and we all have our own 'favorite things'.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #7
Graeme / New Zealand

Fantastic.....can you do any "Motorhead"

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
GB SISSON

Perhaps I'm the only 'motorhead' that likes musicals...... Back in the old days musicals like South Pacific, White Christmas and later, West Side Story were enjoyed by returning home GIs who saved the world from the hideous axis menace. I pretty much missed the music of the 80s because I was living in a one room cabin in the deep woods raising 4 kids. That goes a long way towards explaining my nerdiness.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
mhsprecher

Terrific!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

My wife, the poet, read this. She says it's good! She is much better on that topic that I am!!!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #11
GB SISSON

I'm thinking you posted this exactly at midnight in Witchita, but it's just past ten here and I'm headin' for Snoresville. PS my wife got a Glen Campbell CD for Christmas which included his best ever... Witchita Lineman. zzzzzzzzzzzz over n out.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:41 AM   #12
Graeme / New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
I'm thinking you posted this exactly at midnight in Witchita, but it's just past ten here and I'm headin' for Snoresville. PS my wife got a Glen Campbell CD for Christmas which included his best ever... Witchita Lineman. zzzzzzzzzzzz over n out.
Galveston for me... Wide taste in music from Country through to heavy metal ( Motorhead, Iron Maiden) and liking musicals does not make you a "nerd". Infact any music with the exception of "rap crap" and this poor excuse for music today that you see on the music channels that relies on scantily cladded girls wiggling their tushes to sell the stuff...ok to look at I suppose but totally talentless, the majority of them.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #13
corvette8n

Love it, pretty clever.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:23 PM   #14
Jim Huseby

You're not the only one that likes old musicals. Your composition stirred some genuine emotion.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 05:06 PM   #15
Mafman

Love it! We have some of the same favorite things!
Mafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 06:07 PM   #16
zzlegend

I don't think anybody can sing it better than this. listen to this quite often in my house. But yours is definitely up there. Nice job.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-gHfK2JseU
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
GB SISSON

Gotta say Barbara has it goin' on on that one. I sing it more like Julie Andrews. We saw the movie in about '65 when I was a kid in Seattle at the Martin Cinerama. My mom always bought the album from all the movies we saw. I can still remember being half way home from school and mom had the windows wide open, the hi-fi blarin' with the latest musical, bottle of seagrams on the kitchen counter and me hoping none of the other kids could see her dancing in front of the living room window. About ten years later she started in AA and 50 years atfer she is still a kick in the A$$. She was always an awesome mom. I'm glad they took me along with them to the current movies. How about it's a mad mad mad world? Don't get much better than that.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #18
zzlegend

Good for mom GB. Funny how some things we always remember growing up. Sounds like you got a great mom for sure. A mad mad mad mad world,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ya. I remember when I was 17 going to the show when that first came out. Excellent humor and a great cast of characters. Just watched it last week on TCM.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #19
GB SISSON

A veritable who's who of comedians in our generation. My kids rolled there eyes when we put it on the vhs in the 90's....They were crying with laughter after about a half hour. Duh
Old 01-01-2016, 09:35 PM   #20
GB SISSON

We weren't the Waltons, but I bought my first of 3 model AA 1 1/2 tons when I was 19. My inner self wanted musta wanted to be a Walton as my Dad and I watched it every week..... Never happened...... My mom is a spritely 86 and my dad died at 52 back in '79