Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #23
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Looking for rare welt tips

The problem is getting them with the propershape for the welting.
You can see in the photo that it does not fit the welting the person has chose to use. I am fairly sure that is not the correct type for the car.

For the 68C the Loctite welting was used and repro ends were made like original for the Loctite. Well good luck getting it. I know of 2 people who have made their own and will only make it again for their own customers and I know it will not be cheap. They did not like making it.

FWIW as an extra bonus of more useless knowledge. The welting on the 68C was different because of the nail point. The welting is supposed to hide the interface between the top and the body. The 68C needs the the welting to cover more on one side then the other. So the welting is nailed about 2/3 - 3/4 the way off center. Much of the welting you can get is designed to be nailed in the middle covering the same area on either side of the nail.

As you can see the cabriolet guys have fun trying to get things 'workable', that is something that does the job like original. Correct for points is even harder.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote