Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #21
DL1939

Default Re: Identification and Serial number Help.

Anymore thoughts on serial number making this officially a 38? To me when you zoom it looks like another * at the end/ after the 3. Does this make sense with the other options it has that insinuate that it is a 39? Maybe a Late year 38?
I purchased this thinking the engine was seized, stopped at the father in-laws to show it off as he is a Die Hard FORD GUY.. He pulled the dip stick, noticed it was 3/4 full, dirty but with no signs of water. "Are you sure this engine is seized?" he said. Sure enough I slow steady pressure to the crank that came with and it broke free. Ever since i have slowly been tinkering trying to get in running.. Had the starter rebuilt from a local Auto electric shop, new 6 V battery, New start button, Plugs and cleaned up a bit of wiring. Have voltage throughout the start circuit and Voltage to the coil, but do not have spark.. Just going to confirm Primary and secondary coil readings then maybe thinking of sending the distributor to BUBBA.
Any other suggestions?
Attached are some more pics of the options on this maybe 38 or 39..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4127.jpg (58.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4129.jpg (45.7 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4130.jpg (38.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4131.jpg (53.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4132.jpg (54.1 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4133.jpg (66.0 KB, 38 views)
DL1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #22
rotorwrench

If there are no numbers on the hump of the left rail above the axle then there may be another number group under the cab. Those Canadian number listings are accurate for Ford Canada. If it is an H then it's a 1938 model. The 18- numbers used here in the states were a lot longer groups since they kept linear numbers from 1932 on up on the 221 V8 vehicles. Canadian number groups were kept a lot shorter with the use of the letter type prefix each year.

That old truck is is pretty good condition. The Timken rear axle is there for the one ton feature. These were used for a long time and were built well to last.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
Randy in ca

I may have missed it in previous posts, but have you checked the top-front of the transmission/clutch housing for the serial number? They're usually in way better condition than those stamped on the frame.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #24
rotorwrench

This was a good post for differences between 38 & 39 pickups but Canadian models could be different. Plus there are differences between 1/2 ton commercials and 1-ton trucks.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...?t=9073&page=2
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:28 PM   #25
DL1939

Thanks rotorwrench. I'm pretty sure that an *H to star. Like you say if so, That combined with the engine # pretty much confirms it is a 38 I think. Will confirm with the Transmission and or on the frame under the cab. What about the hydraulic brakes though? I thought they weren't realeased until 39? Or did they start earlier with the heavier trucks?
Rotorwrench, its rough in places as it seems to have the scares of a work horse.. some rust below the rear window and at the back, bottom of the cab.
But, trans seems to shift nice rolls good in neutral, so like mentioned going to hopefully get her running and leave the pitina and have fun with it. If I keep it after that I would like to get the engine built up and other mods to maybe rod it a bit. I know I could probably spend less $ and get more HP from a crate modern set up, but I think a built up flat would be more unique and just Dam cool!
DL1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 AM   #26
TJ

The hydraulic brakes could have been added by a prior owner. Not an uncommon upgrade.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote