Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
hangarb7

Default broken Sediment Bowl frame

Greetings,

Been chasing a few problems on my 30 Tudor. Putting the fuel line back on the car (the hard line between the carb up to the sediment bowl) and never got to tighten the connector when the front of the assembly just broke off in my hand. The break appears to have been there for a while.

I have a good feel for how much to tighten things and when I get the new one from Snyders today, I just want to be sure I am not missing anything. The ferrule was loose on the line so I have a replacement, and I know not to push the line in too far, anything else I should know?

Thanks,

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: broken Sediment Bowl frame

Hi JackD,

Quite a few complaints were aired in the past concerning warnings about leaking glass sediment bowls; however,

A. Some in the past, (and even more distant past with previous owners), have tightened the sediment bowl so tight that it over compresses the gasket on the two (2) sides where the bail is connected; hence,

B. The circumference of the metal device above becomes warped and will never provide level, uniform compression pressure on the gasket and on the level glass bowl below to provide a good gasoline seal.

C. If this overstressing condition occurs, even if one is a renown tight wad or a confirmed Christmas Scrooge, (LOL) for "Life Safety", with gasoline dripping on a hot exhaust, it is always best to buy a new metal sediment bulb assembly.

D. This sediment bulb leaking condition is similar to having a warped engine head and/or a warped engine manifold, where leaks occur where the gasket is not sufficiently compressed.

E. Appears the minute one has to start using a pair of pliers to greatly compress such a sediment bulb gasket, the metal assembly becomes more warped each time it is disassembled and reassembled.

If one has a good feel for tightening, (as mentioned above), you should not have any future problems, and should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 06-25-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
BlueSunoco

H.L. good points.

Exactly why we stayed w/ a cast sediment bowl vs. a glass outfit. Proximity to the hot exhaust and the possibility of leaks,,,,,, well, could be a way to find out if that Agreed Value insurance policy will pay off although I don't know of any such incidents. Glass should be safe as long as you don't heavy-hand it.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
James G.

Attaching the fuel line to the sediment bowl is a toughy issue for me also. I had the same problem and all the same symptoms. The replacement also has problems in that I had problem stopping a leak at the fuel line connection to the sedbowl. Afraid to break another, I ended up using teflon tape on the fuel line threads. Seems these sediment bowls are a pot metal casting and so brittle. I don't know just how old my original was but I'm not at all confident in these items anymore.
James G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 AM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Glass sediment bowls worked well even on many tractors and farm equipment with constant vehicle jarring and rough handling because of no agricultural vehicle springs and no smooth roads on farms.

Also, in 1880 every single home had homeowners with "Common Sense" who knew how to safely use fragile kerosene lamps with glass kerosene containers below and glass globes above.

Today, just in my short lifetime we all notice that we need to place Warning Labels on Irons such as:

"Do not iron your clothes while wearing them."

Keep smiling, we seniors living with a few gripes and aches & pains beats dying young any day.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Glass sediment bowls worked well even on many tractors and farm equipment with constant vehicle jarring and rough handling because of no agricultural vehicle springs and no smooth roads on farms.

Also, in 1880 every single home had homeowners with "Common Sense" who knew how to safely use fragile kerosene lamps with glass kerosene containers below and glass globes above.

Today, just in my short lifetime we all notice that we need to place Warning Labels on Irons such as:

"Do not iron your clothes while wearing them."

Keep smiling, we seniors living with a few gripes and aches & pains beats dying young any day.
And, thank God for ANTI-PAIN PILLS And, DON'T call 911, if your iron smells & smokes, after NOT being used for 11 1/2 YEARS
WRINKLES in my clothes detracts from the face WRINKLES
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
hangarb7

Thanks for all the advice. I will be alert to the inside part being easy to strip also.

Bill, one of the funniest jokes I ever heard.....

Husband walks in the front door, tired from a long day at work. His wife is standing there naked as a jaybird, waiting for him.

He grumps, "What are you doing?"

She happily says, (this is how you know it is a joke...) "I'm waiting for you in my 'birthday suit'"

He replies, "Well, it needs ironed."

HA!
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:34 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Maybe the ones made now are crap. The on on my A has been there since the 80's. No leaks.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:25 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

I don't like the new fuel lines where the brass ferrule is attached to the nut, and you have to really tighten the crap out of the nut before the ferrule squeezes down on the line and snaps free from the nut. If you do get this type, I would use a cast iron bowl or carb to do the first tightening and snap prceedure, then install the top end to the more delicate aluminum fuel filter.

Also, a couple drops of oil on the parts will help on the initial tightening and snap.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #10
H. L. Chauvin

In response to reply no. 7, if one goes in a graveyard and sees a tombstone with the inscription:

HERE LIES JOE,
HIS WIFE IRONED OUT
ALL OF HIS PROBLEMS

At least we know "The Rest of the Story"