Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Barry-ct

Default Don't let your Flatheads loaf.....

I am ashamed to admit I let my truck sit for 11 months since I last started it. I kept saying" I gotta start that truck " and kept walking by it. I didn't want a repeat of my stuck valve problem 3 years ago. I've been so busy here repairing small engines. etc... to take the time to work on the truck.
Anyway... I finally tried today to start it and no soap! Crank until the cows come home and it would not start. So back to basics I go. Got air, easy one! Take the cap off and check for spark. Nothing. Clean and reset. ok. Got spark at points. Get the points on a flat spot and use a screwdriver to open the points. finally got a spark. Put the coil wire near a ground and every time I opened the points it would fire the coil. Clean and gap the plugs. Ok, it should start. Nope. Put gas in carb. no fire. Fuel pump is full. Seems to pump gas from jets. OK, time for a break before the BF hammer comes out and alot of choice words! I took a bike to the nieghbor for his kid and we got talking. He has a diesel and it sat, so I told him to use silicone instead of starting fluid. So he tells me " why don't you try silicone like you told me? " So, I go back home and give it a good squirt and you know the rest of the story......
I should listen to my own advice! 4-5 revolutions and it starts right up. Luckily, no stuck valves. Tomorrow, an oil change and MM oil in the oil and gas for the winter.
I need to get on a schedule to start it once a month. Anyone have a size 12 boot they want to kick me with????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1250.jpg (80.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1249.jpg (52.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1251.jpg (54.8 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1252.jpg (47.3 KB, 80 views)

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
Bob G/Spanaway

Default Re: Don't let your Flatheads loaf.....

What kind of silicone?
Spray can I gather, but lubricant of some kind?
Nice looking instrument panel...and the rest of it too!
Bob G/Spanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
bk53

Good for you. I want to make a joke about getting it silicone implants but then no one would ever leave it alone. something along those lines. ah well you mean like spray silicone lubricant?
bk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
Barry-ct

It's WD 40 brand silicone with built in straw that sprays alot of silicone. Carb cleaner will also work in a pinch. One short shot will do. I've seen what starting fluid will do to an diesel engine and the airboxes like to explode! Not from my personal experience, but what remnants that people bring in to my parts counter to order a new one.
Thanks for the compliment on the dash. NOS guages and 3 different cabs to pieced together to get a decent cab. Believe it or not the first pic was with the engine running above idle. Long way to go on this truck. I was so frustrated this afternoon, you could of waved a $100 bill and I'd of jumped at it!

50 F-1
Old 10-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Bob G/Spanaway

Does that hundred bucks include delivery?
Bob G/Spanaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
It's WD 40 brand silicone with built in straw that sprays alot of silicone. Carb cleaner will also work in a pinch. One short shot will do. I've seen what starting fluid will do to an diesel engine and the airboxes like to explode! Not from my personal experience, but what remnants that people bring in to my parts counter to order a new one.
Thanks for the compliment on the dash. NOS guages and 3 different cabs to pieced together to get a decent cab. Believe it or not the first pic was with the engine running above idle. Long way to go on this truck. I was so frustrated this afternoon, you could of waved a $100 bill and I'd of jumped at it!
I'd call it a slow idle, I cain't even see the fan move. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
Mike in AZ

congrats on getting it started....now enjoy.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
tiquer

Let sit = dry cylinder walls = low compression = no start
tiquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
B-O-B

Walt maybe we need to read like chinese. right to left, then oil pressure would be there.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM   #10
G.M.

I have a lot of old Fords that sit 8 or 10 months every year and some a lot longer. First on the silicon starter fluid, it's not the product in the spray can that ignites, it's the propane that company uses to pressurize the can to make the product spray. Some company's use menthel chloride and C-O 2 as a propellant and this won't burn. I found over the years the points get a very thin film of oxide on them probly worse if they sit open. I don't even bother trying to start without removing the air clean and giving the carb a shot of starting fluid while it is cranking. 99% of the time they start right up some times it takes a few shots. After the initial start the running takes the film off the points and starts right up. Some will come back and say either is bad but after 1,000s of starts I have no engine problems or oil burners. Don't forget your in most cases it's still getting gas from the carb. G.M.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
36-5window
BANNED

G>M>< please explain the diesel fuel in gas for me? thanks,Henry
Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Rand

What convinced me that it was time to install my inline electric fuel was..after squirting some starter fluid down the carb to get the flatty to start was the "12inch flame that shot out of the carb from the back fire. Needless to say...I turned it off and closed the garage door and went in the house for the rest of the day..lol. electric pump works great and never have used starting fluid again.
Randy
Rand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Brendan

mine dose not loaf, I drive it at least once a week, I think the longest it sat was 2 months

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #14
Barry-ct

As you can see from my pics,I have a long way to go before its legally ready for the road. I live on a street that is very visable and my luck is the cop will be coming into my neighborhood as I'm going for a ride. Did it as a kid, but times have changed. I never thought life would get in the way of getting it done.

50 F-1
Old 10-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry-ct View Post
I am ashamed to admit I let my truck sit for 11 months since I last started it. I kept saying" I gotta start that truck " and kept walking by it. I didn't want a repeat of my stuck valve problem 3 years ago. I've been so busy here repairing small engines. etc... to take the time to work on the truck.
Anyway... I finally tried today to start it and no soap! Crank until the cows come home and it would not start. So back to basics I go. Got air, easy one! Take the cap off and check for spark. Nothing. Clean and reset. ok. Got spark at points. Get the points on a flat spot and use a screwdriver to open the points. finally got a spark. Put the coil wire near a ground and every time I opened the points it would fire the coil. Clean and gap the plugs. Ok, it should start. Nope. Put gas in carb. no fire. Fuel pump is full. Seems to pump gas from jets. OK, time for a break before the BF hammer comes out and alot of choice words! I took a bike to the nieghbor for his kid and we got talking. He has a diesel and it sat, so I told him to use silicone instead of starting fluid. So he tells me " why don't you try silicone like you told me? " So, I go back home and give it a good squirt and you know the rest of the story......
I should listen to my own advice! 4-5 revolutions and it starts right up. Luckily, no stuck valves. Tomorrow, an oil change and MM oil in the oil and gas for the winter.
I need to get on a schedule to start it once a month. Anyone have a size 12 boot they want to kick me with????
Hi Barry,when does Powder Mill start Nov. or Dec. ??? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Ol' Ron

Why not just drive it every day, You don't have to go far, Just get it hot enough to remove all the bad stuff from the engine.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #17
Barry-ct

Ron- If I was in Vermont, I'd do that. But, my town is 13 square miles and small. We are a suburb of Hartford, Ct. and we have 30+ cops, so I'm sure to get nailed!

Ken- I think you've got me confused with another Barry I believe is connected to the Powder Mill barn swap. I've never been to it.

50 F-1
Old 10-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
ken ct
BANNED

Sorry Barry.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #19
Brendan

I have put about 10 thousand miles on my pickup! and it sure runs good!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
B_man_Al

Barry ... Are we are both working on the same truck ?! I too have 2 stuck exhaust valves from sitting too long !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1042.jpg (96.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2205.jpg (75.8 KB, 5 views)
B_man_Al is offline   Reply With Quote