Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Ron in Quincy

Default Re: Can someone explain this to me please

criswellnk, (Joe)

Thanks for the kind remarks.

Ron Rude
Old 02-08-2011, 03:45 PM   #22
Doodlrodz

I have also had this happen a couple of times lately, told the guy I would take the item and even made arrangements to have it picked up and he emails me later and says no longer available. So I look back at the ad and I see a guy says pm sent and remember his user name, he had tried to snipe me before, jumping in after the deal and offering more money. All I can say is if you're selling to the highest bidder there's a site for that and it's full of scum bag snipers.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Pickupman

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
Twice now I have found parts on the Fordbarn swap site that I have been looking for for a long time, only to have the seller Flake after confirming that he had received my payment and was shipping them to me. The story usually goes something like this:
"I packaged the part to ship and set it in the back of my pickup, but forgot to close the tailgate, so on the way to the shipper, it must have bounced out the back and got lost. Here's your money back"

Obviously (to me) they either got a better offer or got seller's remorse, because I've heard it more than once. Some people have no shame.
Now that made me LOL. I wish I was following him when his parts bounced out the back of his pickup.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
ct50f1

I listed some parts for sale a month or so ago and got a number of replies from across the country. Since this was my first attempt at selling on FordBarn I hadn't really thought through the logistics of getting paid and shipping the parts. I realize now that I should have been better prepared before I tried to sell the parts online.

Anyway, I did ask for zip codes so I could check shipping costs. In the mean time, someone local showed up and offered me the full asking price in cash on the spot. I felt bad for the guys who had already expressed an interest but it was much easier make the local deal.

I wrote back to those involved and explained the situation. One buyer was very understanding, the other a little less so. I think the most important thing for both the buyer and the seller is to be honest about what's going on and let the other party no. There's no excuse for not writing back.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #25
Vanspeed

CT50F1, that is exactly what I am thinking. I would be way more understanding if comunication was used. I think letting people know where they stand when you are selling something is key to good business and makes good friendships.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Maybe a percentage donation from sold parts can be made to Fordbarn to keep it up and going????????

It would only be right as the swap section is free and it seems to bring a lot of buyers to the sellers.

I think this was done on the old Fordbarn site.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodlrodz View Post
I have also had this happen a couple of times lately, told the guy I would take the item and even made arrangements to have it picked up and he emails me later and says no longer available. So I look back at the ad and I see a guy says pm sent and remember his user name, he had tried to snipe me before, jumping in after the deal and offering more money. All I can say is if you're selling to the highest bidder there's a site for that and it's full of scum bag snipers.
The snipers aren't the scum bags. They are just playing the game. I often get sniped and outbid, but as long as I put in my top bid that I was willing to pay for a part, that's all that matters. Hopefully another part will come along. I always wait until the last few seconds to throw in my bid. That way I don't get caught up in some bidding frenzy and I also seem to have a better chance of winning the bid. I've gotten some bad deals on ebay and a lot of shipping damage by the post office, and even packages lost in the mail, so I don't do much ebay anymore. Swap meets are the safest way to buy parts, but even then there are times I didn't check the part over carefully enough and wind up with junk. And three times I'd pay for the part and say I'm comming back later with a cart to get it and the seller has left with my money, so be careful about leaving parts.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Ahooga

Snipers aren't bad at all. An item is for sale, It is a week away until the end of the auction. You set your maximum $ you want to pay for the item and the program does the rest. You don't have to be sitting at the computer as the auction ends either. You could be visiting grandma or at the movies.... If someone has bid or bids higher via their snip program they get the item. It's that simple so what is the problem?

Same way if I'm at an auction in person. I always set the price I want to pay and NEVER go over that price. Don't make it a personal thing if someone out bids you. If you went to the price you wanted to pay to and someone else won it than be happy and move to the next item you want to purchase.....
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #29
Doodlrodz

I was trying to make the point that Ebay is where the snipers belong and are all part of doing business there. On here and the HAMB it's deals between hobbyists, you set your asking price and someone says they'll take it that should be the end of the story. But some feel compelled to make a higher offer to the seller after the deal has been struck and some sellers don't have the integrity to stand by their deal and take the higher offer and fabricate some sort of excuse for the original buyer. That's what I mean by snipers on here. I've been on both ends of it but have never taken another offer after someone said they would take it. My whole point being if you want to sell it to the highest bidder go to ebay with the rest of the crooks.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
rotorwrench

The social art of being tactful and honest is dying out with the computer age. I's slowly returning to the stone age where the guy who wields the club first and best gets the scrap of food.

Kerby
Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
sonny30coupe

Dang, Doodl, tell how you really feel about the ebay people. you sound bitter to me.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 AM   #32
Doodlrodz

Naw, I love 'em. Especially the ones that are on here begging for that rare part and two weeks later it's on ebay for twice what you sold it to them for.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #33
criswellnk

In reading throuh the more recent posts on this thread I would like to ask Doodlrodz a couple of questions.

Because I make the choice to bid as close to the end of an auction listing as I can, why does that make me a scum bag?

"All I can say is if you're selling to the highest bidder there's a site for that and it's full of scum bag snipers."
Doodlrodz, 2-08-2011

By choosing to sell things that I own on a public auction site, why does that make me a crook?

"My whole point being if you want to sell it to the highest bidder go to ebay with the rest of the crooks."

Doodlrodz, 2-09-2011

I wait to bid on an item until the end of an auction because that is what I feel comfortable in doing. How is doing that any different than the folks at a "live" auction that sit on their hands and keep their bidding cards tucked safely away until the starting price drops down to it's lowest point. Are they "scum bags"? They know what they are willing to pay for the item in question, why don't they start the bidding when the auctioneer hits that number? Because, they are doing the same thing that I am doing, the same thing that everyone does at an auction, they are trying to get the item at good price.

I choose to sell the items that I have (and own) on a public auction site because it shows the item in question to a much larger audience. I have offered items for sale here on Fordbarn, and they don't sell, I have taken the same things to swap meets and they don't sell. There is nothing wrong with the parts, no out-of-line prices. It is just the fact that a public auction site has a much higher viewing than Fordbarn or a swap meet. So by doing this, and letting the open-market set the ending price and putting the parts into the hands of the people that want and need them, I am a crook?

I am sorry, but I find the two broad, sweeping statements that you made about me (because I choose to do both of the things that you mentioned) and many other, rather insulting.

Looking for a copy or reprint of 1932 A.E.A. Universal Catalog of Genuine Electrical Service Parts
Old 02-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #34
Doodlrodz

Criswellnk, Sorry if I offended you, I apologize. I'm obviously just not a big fan of the auction site.
Closed Thread