Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2024, 08:45 PM   #1
Newc

Default Annual MONSTER Swap Portland, Or

Double Swap now going on in N. Portland , Or I work it tomorrow and then head home. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 09:13 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: Annual MONSTER Swap Portland, Or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Double Swap now going on in N. Portland , Or I work it tomorrow and then head home. Newc

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:10 AM   #3
pistonbroke

Hi Dale, The last two swaps I attended at Portland were very disappointing. My brother (your neighbor) and I started counting after the first hour or so and we figured for every actual old used car parts vender there was just over five venders selling new junk mostly made in china the majority of which wasn't even car related. It's sad to say but the sponsor's need to rent the spaces and the only way they can is to rent to junk venders. The Portland swap was once the crowning event on the west coast but now it seem to be more of a Flea Market. I hope this year is better but I will not be going. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 08:54 AM   #4
Gene1949

Sadly, the decline of the Portland swap meet has been ongoing for many years. I wish I had the answer. My friends and I had some great times there in the late 70s thru the 2000s when we moved to Nevada. What I did notice thru the years was a continual increase of professional “vendors”. Peddling “memorabilia” and cheap offshore repops. Also, the decline (passing on) of “dirty hands” folks who served as the backbone of our hobby with their knowledge and expertise.
I think this board is experiencing similar. Seems every few months we bemoan the passing of one of the luminaries here.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 09:22 AM   #5
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
Sadly, the decline of the Portland swap meet has been ongoing for many years. I wish I had the answer. My friends and I had some great times there in the late 70s thru the 2000s when we moved to Nevada. What I did notice thru the years was a continual increase of professional “vendors”. Peddling “memorabilia” and cheap offshore repops. Also, the decline (passing on) of “dirty hands” folks who served as the backbone of our hobby with their knowledge and expertise.
I think this board is experiencing similar. Seems every few months we bemoan the passing of one of the luminaries here.
Gene1949
Unfortunately the latter part of your post is NOT exclusive to the Portland SWAP meet (or any other SWAP meet), it is endemic to car clubs, parts suppliers et' al. and to this point...., NO cure or reversing the tide, sadly!!!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:28 PM   #6
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Annual MONSTER Swap Portland, Or

Why not read a thread with
comments from folks
who are actually there now ?

@ https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-2024.1310062/

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 05:54 PM   #7
Karl Wescott

I was there this morning. Lots of stuff, not much early V8... but some. Not much good... but some. A pair of NOS 1942-46 front fenders (1250.00), a pair of "decent" 1940 passenger fronts (300.00), lots of odds and ends. I did not to the track or outside (knees acting up).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 11:05 AM   #8
TJ

Had my usual spot in E building and did well this year. Rained every day and was cold outside. The windy weather tossed a few E-Z Ups at the track. Many empty spaces in the buildings and has been declining for some time. As rockfla has said it's a problem for many of these events and there may be no sure cure. It was still a fun event and three of my old Napa school mates(who now live in the northwest) came by my space to visit along with other northwest V-8 friends.
TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 12:48 PM   #9
deuce_roadster

Last year was terrible. I only sold $500 the whole weekend, didn't even cover the room cost. This year sales were great, did over 2k but, I don't know how someone did this, maybe they had an accomplice distract me, somebody took a NICE half of an original 40 deluxe grille off my table on Saturday. Last year it was a DL (Detroit Lubricator) carb Ford only used in 32 and 33. Next year I am going to set up a wildlife camera I have. I would like to know how they are doing this and maybe recognize them. I will have the same stalls next year, (in the same building as TJ) I always enjoy this meet, only missed this three times since 1970.
No remake parts on my tables except a set of new 32 hubcaps from Drake a friend asked me to sell for him. Rest were about half NOS Ford parts.

Last edited by deuce_roadster; 04-08-2024 at 12:55 PM.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 02:06 PM   #10
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
somebody took a NICE half of an original 40 deluxe grille off my table on Saturday. Last year it was a DL (Detroit Lubricator) carb Ford only used in 32 and 33.
Thats terrible Mike. I quit selling at Monroe after some NOS Mustang seat belts, NOS Rally Pac tach and Kelsey Hayes disc brake proportioning valves were stolen. Majority of the car people are good, but there are bad actors. It essentially changed me from a collector to a hoarder.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 06:29 PM   #11
deuce_roadster

Yeah, whoever took those parts knew what they were. I have never lost anything at Monroe, so far.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #12
TJ

Mike sorry to hear about the theft. It's unfortunate that there are thieves in this great hobby. Somewhere along the line they will be caught and it won't be a pretty sight for the crook. Hope you enjoy your "new" Shell truck. I know it went to a good home.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:56 PM   #13
Newc

I worked the 'Parts Pickup' Friday PM. Constant full loads going out on 'OUT of State' vehicles! Lots of Idaho, Washington and British Columbia vehicles. Newc
Old 04-10-2024, 11:13 AM   #14
deuce_roadster

Dale, an Expo person (not from one of the clubs putting the meet on) or one hired by them asked me to take a survey. One of the questions was would I be in favor of a 2 day meet with longer shopping hours. I said YES. Most Sundays I don't sell anything, just watch people walk by.
Old 04-10-2024, 11:26 AM   #15
Newc

That idea was officially discussed at a meeting Monday- may happen since 'out of Staters' leave late Sat. Newc
Old 04-10-2024, 01:55 PM   #16
TJ

I am one of the out of state people that does leave on Saturday afternoon. Sunday has always been a loser for sales. Saturday morning is good for sales and after 3:00 pm sales slow way down. Frankly I wouldn't mind if set up day was Wednesday, so the days correspond with the meet at the track.
I do like the new set up with the two way traffic and other changes made by the committee.
Old 04-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #17
deuce_roadster

I hope the days don't change without advance notice for the next year. I have already booked my room for 3 nights next year. (3rd, 4th and 5th 2025)
Old 04-12-2024, 08:08 AM   #18
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I am one of the out of state people that does leave on Saturday afternoon. Sunday has always been a loser for sales. Saturday morning is good for sales and after 3:00 pm sales slow way down. Frankly I wouldn't mind if set up day was Wednesday, so the days correspond with the meet at the track.
I do like the new set up with the two way traffic and other changes made by the committee.
I would just eliminate Sunday all together. I haven't stayed for Sunday in at least 30 years. I like the 1 day stagger between both locations. That stagger is what keeps up spending 2 days there. My friends and I all spend Thursday down at the track and Friday at the Expo. If, and that's a big if, we stay over Friday night we do a fast pass through both locations. IMHO I think with the new smaller layout at the Expo on the outside booths that the racetrack grew in size. This year we left the racetrack at 6:00 Thursday and the Expo at noon on Friday. In prior years we never left the Expo before 4:00-5:00 at the earliest. I was frankly disappointed in the change at the Expo. I feel something needs to happen to bring the enthusiasm back to the Expo, and I'm not alone with that thought.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 08:43 AM   #19
Karl Wescott

I have NOT been a vendor in the last two years. Marginal sales overall (this is a business decision overall) has been the trend for several years. Committing to essentially all day Sunday for tear-down only totally wastes the day. More and more this seems to be a social event with people coming to visit each other, and less a buying/selling experience. From a reproduction manufacturer/vendor standpoint this show especially, and all shows generally have become less of a sales opportunity and more of marketing promotion... Customers now prefer to order parts delivered direct to them without the hassle of waiting for the meet, and difficulty of transport.

Going to a Friday-Saturday format has its attractions, however the reality is that any large or elaborate booths will require several hours to tear down. If the hours were to be extended for selling, say 7:00 am to 5:00 pm thats a 10 hour day and as I start to age that becomes tougher. Plus the 2-4 hour tear down and load out brings it to a 14 hour day and sorry but I will likely pass due to safety concerns over exhaustion.

A Sunday tear down/load out only would help that and only waste a half day.

Back when the Portland Swap Meet started it was the Portland Swap Meet and Antique Car Show. Perhaps bring that back. There were enough vacant inside spaces to provide room for 50 cars. Space the cars so there are some in each building, with sitting areas to allow visiting. This would increase the value of time at the show for those who only have a passing interest in purchasing stuff AND would tend to introduce the older cars and owners to the younger generation of gearheads who are not exposed to them often.

Sunday could be a vendor/exhibitor only social and tear down day. A "complimentary" breakfast for those who stayed the full Friday-Saturday would provide both a "thank you" and an opportunity for vendors, car exhibitors, and committee members to socialize, and leave at a reasonable hour (perhaps breakfast 8:00 to 10:00, tear down 9:00-done, most out by 12:00)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote