Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
19Fordy

Default 1954 Ford Pick Up Hood Hinge Question

Does anyone have opinions on the replacement of hood hinges for this truck?
The hood hinges on my brother's 54 Ford 1/2 ton pick up are loose and worn out. Is it better to buy the reproduction hinges or have them rebuilt? Are the repro's USA made? I would appreciate your input so I can relay the info to him. He lives in Poughkeepsie, NY. If anyone could get in touch with him I can give you his phone number. (He doesn't have a computer so I am trying to help him out.) Thanks, JIM in FL
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: 1954 Ford Pick Up Hood Hinge Question

Opps, I mistakenly posted this twice. Moderator, please delete. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #3
joe plumber

I purchased some repo's for my 55 and they are garbage .One side is already shot.I am going to rebuild the old ones .Of course the rebuild parts might be garbage also.It's so hard to get good stuff anymore .JMHO.
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #4
joe plumber

I don't know where the hinges were made, but I got them from Mid -Fifty F-100.I also purchased some inner fender panels from them and they didn't fit .I can see doing some minor modifications to reproduction parts ,but these panels were terrible.I called them back and complained and the lady said that I had an attitude problem.I haven't purchased any thing from them since and will never again.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
Buford

I too have had problems with original hinges and reproduction hinges...I went to a forward tilt set-up and am happy with the extra access to the engine compartment now....also had a problem with Mid-Fifty truck parts, mostly a communication thing, but still left a bad taste in my mouth...won't be buying from them anymore ( I spent over 5000.00 on parts for a '54 and my '56)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4075.JPG (75.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4076.JPG (74.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4069.JPG (50.7 KB, 14 views)
Buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
Merlin

I am also a supporter of the forward tilt setup, All the repop hinges I've seen have been junk. BTW I've been dealing with MidFifty for a few years now with no problems guess I need to cross my fingers. Joe thats funny about the attitude problem especially since MidFifty is run by women.

Buford not to hijack the thread but I'm digging that fan shroud, I'm assuming you made it?
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
joe plumber

I am thinking about going to the tilt hood setup.I dealt with Mid -Fifty for alot of years ,spent alot of money with them,no more.I use LMC ,a little more pricey .I got home from work one afternoon and there were two big boxes on my porch with my name on them ,I opened them up and inside were alot of parts I could have used .I called Mid _fifty and it turns out they sent them to the wrong person.I sent them back and never even got a thank you .Oh well ,I felt I did the right thing any way.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:04 PM   #8
19Fordy

Smile Re: 1954 Ford Pick Up Hood Hinge Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I am thinking about going to the tilt hood setup.I dealt with Mid -Fifty for alot of years ,spent alot of money with them,no more.I use LMC ,a little more pricey .I got home from work one afternoon and there were two big boxes on my porch with my name on them ,I opened them up and inside were alot of parts I could have used .I called Mid _fifty and it turns out they sent them to the wrong person.I sent them back and never even got a thank you .Oh well ,I felt I did the right thing any way.

Good Karma Joe. You are a man of integrity and honesty.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
JeffB2

I saw the tilt hood setup on a '55 F-100 at a friends body shop a couple years ago it was from Auto-Loc just under $300 and it worked slick! For really excelent rebuilt and beefed up stock hinges Google: Roland Hall there has been high praise for His products on several boards that I am on,if you have spare cores he may buy them from you.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Merlin

Rowland Hall Services, 1901 Jackson St., Burbank, CA 91504, Tel 818-845-3574
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Buford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
I am also a supporter of the forward tilt setup, All the repop hinges I've seen have been junk. BTW I've been dealing with MidFifty for a few years now with no problems guess I need to cross my fingers. Joe thats funny about the attitude problem especially since MidFifty is run by women.

Buford not to hijack the thread but I'm digging that fan shroud, I'm assuming you made it?
Hey Merlin, the fan shroud is a stocker for my '56 with a sheet metal ring I had made at a heating and a/c shop. Pretty simple but very effective...thanks, Buford.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #12
joe plumber

Just got in from the garage .Finished putting the hood back on my 55 F-100.Used the springs from the reproduction hinges and the rest of the hinges were the orginals It was fun re winding the springs ,I gave them an extra turn .Don't know how long they will last .The hood opens up and stays up like a new one,closes great too.Probably order a tilt set up and put it on this winter .How hard is it to install? Seems like I don't have much patiences anymore.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
Buford

I didn't have too much trouble putting the front tilt set-up on my '56...it takes two people however...comes with good instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4064.JPG (68.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-03-2010, 06:34 PM   #14
joe plumber

Thanks for the reply ,Buford.I reckon I will find out .It takes me all day to do what I use to do all day.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 PM   #15
okiedokie

I have the front tilt hood on mine, from Mid-fifty, did it by myself with no problems.
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote