Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 PM   #1
goleafsgo_12

Default Body Assembly of '30 Roadster

Hi guys, I just picked up a super clean '30 Roadster body (complete, with rumble seat) a few weeks back. It's all original, extremely minimal rust (literally.. rubber still on the running boards with foot pads, woo!) BUT... here's the catch.. it's 100% disassembled.. With that said, it's gone out for media blasting so I'll be working with clean, freshly primed metal.

Ok, 2 questions. First, is it best to assemble a body on a stock original frame, or the frame that I will be building myself (based off of the wescott diagram, 28-31 frame)

Next, does anybody have an exploded view (for body only) of one of these cars? It's my first model A, and I'm a litttlleeee bit hesitant on where to start, and what goes where.. and in what order.. haha. Any help would be awesome, thanks guys.

-Ryan
goleafsgo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:58 PM   #2
skip
Banned

Default Re: Body Assembly of '30 Roadster

I guess if it's going on a non-Ford frame you'll end up tweaking the mounts. I'm guessing it won't make any difference what you build the body on.

But you should look up the proper wood mounting blocks. They might work with your non-Ford frame. If you don't buy these were going to have to build your own blocks. And don't forget the door rubbers for weather stip but no sill plates. Might as well put in seat belts right a way for when the doors swing open on turns you'll probably want to stay seated.

Check out Les Andrews shop manual for block locations and shapes. You might want to build it on a jig so the body door close.

How do you get the pictures to be one on top of each other? And not side by side? I'm working on that.

skip.

Last edited by skip; 05-12-2010 at 06:27 AM.
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

IMO, building on a stock or street rod type of frame is your least of concerns. Like Skip stated, it really won't make a difference because I think your concerns should be in getting the whole thing flat & 'square with the world' where body panels fit. What are you going to do about sub-rails and pans? What about body blocks? Are these going to be modified or deviated from stock? If so, your actual frame probably would have greater importance.

BTW, the guys on H.A.M.B. have posted/covered this topic many times and shown how they built up a body on a wood platform using plywood & normal structural lumber. Do a search on chassis jig or surface plate and see what you find.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #4
Barry B./ Ma.

I would build it on an original flat frame using the stock mounting holes and body blocks with pads. The critical part is to be able to open and shut the doors. Once you are satisfied with the fit you can put it on a modified frame. I just mounted a Brookville on a stock frame and there is some tweeking involved to get things in line.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
goleafsgo_12

Great thanks for your help guys
Old 05-12-2010, 05:27 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Post some pix when you get it back and start on it!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Doug Cox

Ryan,
Having just completed the restoration of a 30 roadster, I may be able to help answer some of your questions. The first thing is to take LOTS of photos. This will help explain your question and reap a faster and more accurate reply when you get into the restoration (I assume you are going to put the roadster back original and not rod it out). Like you, I bought my roadster completely disassembled and my first concern is that you have all the parts, such as the Lower post stanchions, and a few other unique parts. Another GREAT source of information is Marco’s web site and his beautiful Deluxe Roadster http://www.abarnyard.com/index.shtml

Feel free to post your questions here or you can email me.

Good Luck and take your time and enjoy the process,

Doug
Doug Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
goleafsgo_12

That site looks great, looks like it will really help! Thanks for the info, I may be emailing you with some of the funniest questions.. so bare with me, haha!

Ryan