Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Location of VIN?

Is the VIN on a '42-''47 1/2 ton any where in the cab? if only on chassis does anyone have a picture?
Old 10-20-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
AnthonyG

Default Re: Location of VIN?

any idea what a VIN on title that looks like this is, KY1XX XX 3rd to 6th place all numbers
Old 10-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #3
RalphM

I had a 45 truck and the vin was on a tag in the glove box. If it’s not there then the frame or transmission will also tell you. Vin on mine was something like *59C-1234567*
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:40 AM   #4
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
any idea what a VIN on title that looks like this is, KY1XX XX 3rd to 6th place all numbers

I would assume that the numbers you have listed are an assigned number that was put on the vehicle by a state..
Could even be that the vehicle was once a state owned unit and KY stands for Kentucky..

It is not a good idea to refer to the numbers on vehicles prior to '48 as being a VIN, they are actually a serial number. In the case of EFV8's only the Star and first two numbers/letter generally mean anything, the rest of the numbers are sequential serial numbers that were assigned to the engine/trans when it was built.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
AnthonyG

Thx, # was assigned by Kentucky as Bill thought. Kentucky assigned number riveted on cab in driver door frame.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
G32

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I had a 45 truck and the vin was on a tag in the glove box. If it’s not there then the frame or transmission will also tell you. Vin on mine was something like *59C-1234567*
Ralph;

I think the 59 c is the vehicle model code (with model year) --not the

Ford serial #. SN prefix on frame should be 99 with or without

letter. 99 used on all factory vehicles with 239 engines 39-48.

Ford added the year model to the SN in 1947 799, 899.

(F-1s SN method changed)

Respectfully fun -- still learning !

Gene Tulsa
G32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
blucar

A serial/VIN number plate that is affixed to a door jamb,sill, etc., on a pre 48 Ford is a dead giveaway that it is an "assigned number" put there by some state.
If you can't find a number stamped into the frame adjacent to the steering gears you will have to pull the body off of the frame so you can see the secondary serial number location which is in the area of the rear frame cross-member, on the left frame rail.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 AM   #8
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
A serial/VIN number plate that is affixed to a door jamb,sill, etc., on a pre 48 Ford is a dead giveaway that it is an "assigned number" put there by some state.
If you can't find a number stamped into the frame adjacent to the steering gears you will have to pull the body off of the frame so you can see the secondary serial number location which is in the area of the rear frame cross-member, on the left frame rail.
Is this secondary rear location found on trucks and commercial as well? Don't think I ever saw one back there.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:07 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Is this secondary rear location found on trucks and commercial as well? Don't think I ever saw one back there.
Not sure but believe the commercials just have the one location. By the way, passenger frame has the numbers in three locations, but the prefix is only with the forward stamping.

Last edited by JSeery; 10-22-2018 at 04:13 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Stealing and reselling some old 40 mph coal truck probably wasn't a big business back then.....
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #11
AnthonyG

it is an assigned # by Kentucky and it matches the title so it's what I have to use in PA. to get tags.