Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
cfontana

Default light spider and retainer

I am assembling a 1931 Tudor that the previous owner had taken apart, then done a lot of work and got tired of it. I have put the wiring harness in and found out it needed a new spider and retainer on the end of the horn rod. I got the new parts last week. The retainer slides in the groove near the end of the horn rod and then the spring pushes the spider against the retainer and there is a recess in the spider that keeps the retainer from coming loose. The problem is the opening on the switch body top I have is so tight that it is hard to push the forks of the spider through it and due to this resistance the spider gets pushed up the rod and retainer falls off. Then when the spider moves further into the switch body there is less friction and the spider shoots off the end of the rod. I have an old upper switch body that guts are wore out or broke. However, when I put the new spider in the top of it the forks don't rub. Should I buy a new switch body to see it its top is better or is there some secret method to inserting the spider into the body.

Thanks for your help..
cfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #2
fordfixer

Default Re: light spider and retainer

If it is just a little tight, you might touch the sides of the spider with a file. If it looks thick enough to take 5 or 10 thousandths off, it might just work this way. Can you measure the opening of the new housing, and compare that to the old? This will tell you if, with a little filing if it will work or not.
fordfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Also trial fit the C clip retainer to the rod before you fight the spring. Repro's usually need some adjustment.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
columbiA

Some repop upper L-S hsgs are a bit smaller at the top end-much like a piece of tubing that has been cut with a tubeing cutter.File or grind the end so its the same size so the spider fits easy.Put a yard stick or similar under S-wheel & over horn rod to keep it down while you put it together.Some repop spiders are poor & a leg will break off easy.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
V4F

have someone hold the lite switch down from in the car , then it shouldnt ride up ! also be sure they keep it indexed ............... steve