Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
LazarusLong

Default Need to put PS on a 51 Ford Victoria

COPD has me huffing and puffing for air so badly I don't have the strength left to turn the steering wheel on my 51 to get into and out of parking spaces and make sharp turns in parking lots,so I either need to sell it or put PS in it.

I have done some checking and found out there is no room for a PS steering box if you have the stock flat V-8 because of exhaust manifold clearance problems,and there is no solution for that problem. This comes from a company that rebuilds steering boxes for conversions.

However,I distinctly remember seeing a 50 Ford with power rack and pinion steering several years ago at a friends house,and the guy loved the system.

The problem is I can't remember what donor car it came from or anything else about the conversion. I can't even remember if it still had the flattie or a OHV engine in it.

Do any of you have any experience with installing a power rack and pinion in a 51 with the stock V-8?

BTW,the chassis and the steering boxes are different on 51's than on 50's or 52's.

If I can't come up with a solution soon I will have to sell it.

Not worried about the club coupe in my avatar. It has a flat 6,so there is plenty of room for a PS box. I will start on that as soon as I figure out the Vicky one way or the other,so any suggestions on the flat 6 powered 51 are also welcome.
LazarusLong is offline   Reply With Quote