Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #1
Talkwrench

Default Carb spacer with vacuum port - work?

I'll be adding a VH44 power booster to my brakes shortly and I need to get a vacuum port, came across this type of thing [see pic] its an open port , not sure if this "upsets" the two sides of the carb to manifold , or would it make no diff'? I could use a port from the manifold ,the vacuum line for the wipers but the line is too small?
Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16RHJHYE9nzpdUzuBQSeRF7w4g~~60_57small.jpg (121.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Talkwrench

Default Re: Carb spacer with vacuum port - work?

What? No ones tried one??
Old 04-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
Paul Dobbin

I tried it to work my Wolf Whistle, but not enough vacuum. I too will be intersted in the answer to your problem.
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #4
uncle max

Not a good idea, unless you're running multiple carbs on an open plenum manifold where all the mixture goes down the same hole!
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:40 AM   #5
flatheadfan

Talkwrench-

I have a vacuum booster (Ford '57 T-Bird), on my '35. For a vacuum source I used a common Southwind heater vacuum plate. These plates are often found on epay for about $10.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1094.JPG (56.8 KB, 24 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:50 AM   #6
Talkwrench

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks guys that's the info I need..mm now to find one!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
37 Coupe

I don't beleive you have stated which manifold you are using,year,stock etc? I have ran across a couple 59AB ones that I have never been able to figure out. They have the port for the fitting that runs to the wipers and the distributor which I think is 1/4" npt.They also have an additional vacuam port center rear of carb mount and I think it may be 3/8"npt. These are not just a tapped hole but a boss cast onto the manifold. I used one on my 59AB and used it for the Columbia vacuam this way did not need the carb base plate. I know what vehicle my manifold came from it was a 47 Mercury and I wonder if Ford was placing these on new cars after the war for Columbia's or were they Columbia design? Some have told me it was for big trucks but I would think height would differ in the front for generator/fan. Again mine came off a 47 Mercury wrecked in 47/48 engine only survived and is in my 37.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
38cab

I have an adapter plate similiar to what you are thinking of using and my power booster seems to work just fine.
38cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #9
scooder

I have a couple of the 59A ones with that boss/port. These ones also had a blanked off oil fill hole, near the generator opposite side to an 8BA Type, smaller than 8BA too. Near this on the bit that slopes up for the gen mount is an 1/8 pipe fitting for the original pcv valve, the other end of the pcv plumbing goes into the boss/port we speak of. Both came off engines with no breather in the sump. And full flow oil fittings on the back. One of them still had the pcv valve on it. These I believe are Bren gun carrier engines. Had all that stuff on them due to them being badly accessible for servicing.
Canadian inlets 59A have this front oil fill fitted sometimes.
The pcv is going on my truck, it's a cool take apartable cleanable bit of kit. The engine this came from was very, very worn but hardly any sludge to speak of, guess it worked ok.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:56 PM   #10
G.M.

I have them on all my old Fords. This is what Columbia made for the vacuum supply to shift the rear. They were also used for the Marvel Mystery Oil and Apmco top cylinder lubricators. I have a "T" in several of the Columbia ones so I can shift the rear and use the Marvel injector. I see no ill effects in running or power. I think I would want a small hole from each ventury to intercept into the fitting where you pick up the vacuum. This is the way the Columbia plate is made. G.M.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
DONUT

I used one exactly like the one you pictured for a pcv valve in my '34 and it works perfect ..............
DONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
Talkwrench

Ok well seems like the "open" one is not too bad then.. I have 37 21 stud, sorry should have added that. I do have outlets front [for carb] and rear [for wiper] I only use the front for a vacuum gauge. these just seem to be a small tube hanging out, too small to attach for a booster, I believe you need something like a 3/8 hose.. I haven't pulled one of those vacuum tubes out, but Im assuming it wouldn't be a very big opening.. or are they?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #13
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I have them on all my old Fords. This is what Columbia made for the vacuum supply to shift the rear. They were also used for the Marvel Mystery Oil and Apmco top cylinder lubricators. I have a "T" in several of the Columbia ones so I can shift the rear and use the Marvel injector. I see no ill effects in running or power. I think I would want a small hole from each ventury to intercept into the fitting where you pick up the vacuum. This is the way the Columbia plate is made. G.M.
I have a NOS Ampco vacuum kit. It has a port for each venture, a Y brass tube and the necessary fittings.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
G.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
I have a NOS Ampco vacuum kit. It has a port for each venture, a Y brass tube and the necessary fittings.
I purchased 10 of the Ampco lubricators when the guy selling them first found them 10 or so years ago. If I recall he didn't have any of the original vacuum base plates and had a machine shop machine them. It only requires a small amount of vacuum to draw the MMO out of the firewall mounted canister. The fluid is drawn through a tube with less than 1/8" ID. The Columbia rear requires a lot of vacuum at a fast surge for the vacuum cylinder to snap the rear into OD. This requires 3/8" hoses to get the volume. Small hose or restrictions will make the shifting of the rear sluggish or grinding sounds. I have located the electric fuel valve I use to shift the Columbia's behind the rear seat and on 46 to 48 years under the floor behind the step up area on the passenger side on some cars. The front mounted or stock controls work good but you can detect a slight improved difference with the rear mounted valves. The Columbia plate has an outlet for 3/8" tube where the Southwind heater and Top lube oiler plates have outlets for small tubes. I would think the holes in the plates into the ventory holes would be larger for the Columbia than the lube plate. I'll try to remember to take a look at the 2 type plates when I get to the shop later. G.M.

I checked 3 vacuum plates today. One was a Columbia plate with what looked like a 3/8" NPS female output for a 3/8" hose barb to screw into. This one had a 1/4" round hole in each ventory connected by drilling into the hole leading to the 3/8" extended threaded boss.
The 2nd plate rectangular slots in the ventory's maybe 3/16" X 5/16" feeding into 2 1/4" NPS female outputs.
The 3rd was a thinner plate with a 1/16" hole in each ventory and a single 1/4 or 1/8" NPS female. I would say the latter was for a Southwind heater or a top cylinder lubricator.
Also the plate for an oil injector needs a hole in both ventory's. If not only 4 cylinders will get lubrication.

Last edited by G.M.; 04-03-2014 at 05:35 PM.
G.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #15
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I purchased 10 of the Ampco lubricators when the guy selling them first found them 10 or so years ago. If I recall he didn't have any of the original vacuum base plates and had a machine shop machine them. It only requires a small amount of vacuum to draw the MMO out of the firewall mounted canister. The fluid is drawn through a tube with less than 1/8" ID. The Columbia rear requires a lot of vacuum at a fast surge for the vacuum cylinder to snap the rear into OD. This requires 3/8" hoses to get the volume. Small hose or restrictions will make the shifting of the rear sluggish or grinding sounds. I have located the electric fuel valve I use to shift the Columbia's behind the rear seat and on 46 to 48 years under the floor behind the step up area on the passenger side on some cars. The front mounted or stock controls work good but you can detect a slight improved difference with the rear mounted valves. The Columbia plate has an outlet for 3/8" tube where the Southwind heater and Top lube oiler plates have outlets for small tubes. I would think the holes in the plates into the ventory holes would be larger for the Columbia than the lube plate. I'll try to remember to take a look at the 2 type plates when I get to the shop later. G.M.

I checked 3 vacuum plates today. One was a Columbia plate with what looked like a 3/8" NPS female output for a 3/8" hose barb to screw into. This one had a 1/4" round hole in each ventory connected by drilling into the hole leading to the 3/8" extended threaded boss.
The 2nd plate rectangular slots in the ventory's maybe 3/16" X 5/16" feeding into 2 1/4" NPS female outputs.
The 3rd was a thinner plate with a 1/16" hole in each ventory and a single 1/4 or 1/8" NPS female. I would say the latter was for a Southwind heater or a top cylinder lubricator.
Also the plate for an oil injector needs a hole in both ventory's. If not only 4 cylinders will get lubrication.
Ok,thanks for the tidbit. I didn't know the Columbia plates had a large, single orifice. I have a NOS Shaler and a NOS Allstate (re-branded Ampco) and both have a coil of 1/8" copper tubing. The Ampco vacuum plate kit came with 3 slightly longer studs.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:49 AM   #16
JWL
Member Emeritus

Of the responses I have read only Uncle Max has pointed out the fact that the "open" throttle bore spacer will adversely affect the low and mid-range performance of the engine. The throttle bores should be separated for best "normal street" performance. The intake manifold is designed to maximize venturi flow and the fuel curve is calibrated to coordinate with that 180 degree concept.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 AM   #17
Talkwrench

It's interesting isn't it John .. Why not make these with the separate holes and the port inbetween.. I would have thought more readily available, maybe I may have to make one?.