Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Dennis Haag

Default Daily Production Numbers

A question I have deals with production numbers. I have read that the numbers stamped into the body are daily production numbers. For example my 1931 Briggs Town sedan has the number CHI 9358. The numbers 9358 seem like a high daily production. My thought is could it be the 9358 Briggs town sedan assembled in Chicago. Everyone I have talked with so far said daily production. thanks
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Daily Production Numbers

They are not daily production numbers for sure.

During 1931, and according to Ford's Assembly Record Types, there were only 3569 Town Sedans that were assembled at the Chicago plant for that year.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Dennis Haag

Thank you Steve. My next thought it may be a Briggs production number and the CHI added during assembly. The CHI letters are not as uniform as 9358 numbers. Thanks again for the information. Just a note my town sedan was probly assembled Nov or Dec 1930.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #4
Bob Johnson

That is the assembly plant number. I believe that it represents 9358th town sedan produced at the Chicago plant in 1931.
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
jm29henry

I would love to know daily assembly .I own a 1929 phaeton the gas tanks is dated [2-3-29] so that the day I assume it was made the motor #is 924447 the interesting thing to me is that the ONE MILLIONTH FORD MODEL A was built on February 4th 1929 would mean that using the total from all plant that they made over 75,000 car in one day this is only my thought please add if you can prove or no if this thinking is real thanks for your thoughts
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm29henry View Post
I would love to know daily assembly .I own a 1929 phaeton the gas tanks is dated [2-3-29] so that the day I assume it was made the motor #is 924447 the interesting thing to me is that the ONE MILLIONTH FORD MODEL A was built on February 4th 1929 would mean that using the total from all plant that they made over 75,000 car in one day this is only my thought please add if you can prove or no if this thinking is real thanks for your thoughts
The engine were ALL built in Detroit and numbered there also, then shipped to the various assembly plants where a body number was stamped along with the plant code prefix as the car was assembled.

My 2-23-29 Tudor has a body number TC17509
My 9-27-28 Pheaton has a body number TC476

So you can see even though my Phaeton was built fairly late in the year, not many people wanted an open car in such a cold state.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Dennis Haag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The engine were ALL built in Detroit and numbered there also, then shipped to the various assembly plants where a body number was stamped along with the plant code prefix as the car was assembled.

So you can see even though my Phaeton was built fairly late in the year, not many people wanted an open car in such a cold state.
Tom, does this mean your Tudor was the 17509 Tudor assembled at Twin Cities and your Pheaton was 467 from the start of production.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Dennis Haag

Quote:

It was my understanding there were more open cars sold in Wisconsin and Minn. because it was least expensive. I remember my Grandparents and Uncles all had open cars on the farm.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Haag View Post
Tom, does this mean your Tudor was the 17509 Tudor assembled at Twin Cities and your Pheaton was 467 from the start of production.
That's my understanding, and by looking at the gas tank dates, engine numbers, and body numbers, it makes sense that it is the number of that body style assembled since the begining of Model A production at that plant.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:29 PM   #10
jm29henry

thanks Tom I have a lot to learn that's why we right these post or reply so that we can all learn !!!!!!
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #11
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
That's my understanding, and by looking at the gas tank dates, engine numbers, and body numbers, it makes sense that it is the number of that body style assembled since the begining of Model A production at that plant.
Keep in mind that every branch sold some of nearly every model. However it's very unlikely (almost impossible) that every branch produced every body type. This means that some bodies must have come from another branch. The question becomes, was the body number stamped by the branch that assembled the car or was it stamped by the branch that built the body? I'm betting it was the latter.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Keep in mind that every branch sold some of nearly every model. However it's very unlikely (almost impossible) that every branch produced every body type. This means that some bodies must have come from another branch. The question becomes, was the body number stamped by the branch that assembled the car or was it stamped by the branch that built the body? I'm betting it was the latter.
The body number on my 9-27-28 Phaeton is partly under the front edge of the seat riser, so the number definately was stamped before the body was completely assembled, since the riser is spot welded.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
Dennis Haag

Added picture of body stamp numbers 1931 Briggs CHI 9358 Thank you for all the information Dennis
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 007.jpg (34.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (31.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 02-11-2014, 04:35 PM   #14
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Haag View Post
Added picture of body stamp numbers 1931 Briggs CHI 9358 Thank you for all the information Dennis
Did you find a Briggs tag anywhere on the body?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Dennis Haag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
Did you find a Briggs tag anywhere on the body?
Marco, I did not find a tag. I looked for nail holes under the front seat , found nothing to indicate a tag. I did restore the car in the late 70's. Motor and frame numbers match. Dennis
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
Charles Reese

I don't know which bodies the San Fran plant actually produced on site. Given the discussion, would my "SF52" represent:

*52nd open cab produced in ____ and then shipped to SF for assembly?

*52nd open cab pickup assembled in SF? (this would suggest there may also be a SF52 Tudor, roadster, etc)

*52nd vehicle ever assembled in SF? (this would suggest there is only ONE SF52 produced)

*52nd vehicle assembled in SF, on a given day?

my stamping is clear of the seat riser so could have been stamped at any point.
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote