Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
mercman from oz

Default 1934 Ford 4 Passenger Roadster

These pictures were posted by Bick in New Zealand on the Model A Forum. As they are so interesting, I thought that I would add them to the Early Ford V8 Forum. This rare car originated in Australia and is now on displayed at the Beez Neez Museum in Wanaka, South Island on New Zealand. What is unusual about this car, in addition to the rear seat it also has a Rumble Seat, making this car a 6 seater or 8 with a squeeze. I believe that this car was originally on display in an Australian Museum, but must have been sold, as it is now in New Zealand. Does anyone know the history of these rare 1934 Four Seater Roadster? This car should have a Chrome Plated Grille. Another unusual thing is that in addition to the rear mounted Spare, it also has a Side Mounted Spare. It was quite common for Australian 1933/1934 Fords to have a Side Mounted Spare with a Luggage Rack at the rear. On this car, if would appear that the restorer has added the Sixth Spare Wheel, maybe on the rear?
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: 1934 Ford 4 Passenger Roadster

The Sign on the 1934 Ford 4 Passenger Roadster that is on display at the Beez Neez Museum states that it is 1 of 5 built. Here is another 1934 Ford 4 Passenger Roadster, built up as a Street Rod. You will notice that this car has a regular Trunk and not a Rumble Seat and the Spare on the rear. So that means that at least 2 of the 5 still exist.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
BrianCT

Utility vs design. I'll take design over rarity.
Also has a39 banjo wheel.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Mike in AZ

they also made a '36 model??.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
deuce lover

Very interesting.Thanks for sharing
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #6
34Phae

I like it ,Thanks for sharing. I Learn something everyday about Fords
34Phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #7
mercman from oz

Mike, All 1935 & 1936 Ford Roadsters built in Australia had a larger Cabin area than those built in the USA and Canada. While I don't believe that they originally came with a back seat, quite a few survivors that you see these days have a back seat. It would only be suitable for small children as there would be not much leg room. In Australia these Roadsters were available in both Standard and Deluxe models. The Deluxe models had a Rumble Seat as standard. The Standard models were called Business Roadster.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
mercman from oz

The above photos are from the Australian and Canadian Ford V8 Sales Brochure for 1936. While it is hard to pick, seeing as the Canadian Roadster has the top down, but if you look closely, you will see that the Cabin area in the Australian Roadster is longer than on the Canadian, Roadster. The USA Roadsters would be the same as the Canadian. It was only Ford Australia that made them differently.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
mercman from oz

In this picture of an Australian 1936 Ford Roadster during restoration, you can clearly see the extra space behind the front seat. All 1935 and 1936 Australian built Ford Roadsters had this larger cabin area.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #10
Mike in AZ

cool....had seen a body like that here in AZ....Trev told me about them and you've confirmed along with pics....thanks.....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #11
48-710

G'Day Mercman,
Why would the '36 Roadster in the brochure have '35 windwing clamps fitted knowing that the last of the '35s had '36 clamps,in Australia,at least.
Cheers ,Gary
48-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #12
tub1

hello there merc man have you ever seen a 35 model roadster like these 34s,years ago we chopped up one it was rough, it had a extended seating area and only half a trunk lid non operatable it had been welded up and leaded over i thought at the time this is like the 34 5 seater id seen in restored cars years ago ,the doors were standard roadster length i sold the doors to peter jakowen at a ballarat swap ,i have some pics of it some were i think shorty bought the rear section from me will look next time im at his place and get a pic of it ,maybe i should get it back like i need another project
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #13
mercman from oz

Hi Gary, I accept what you say, but if you look at the Canadian Brochure for the 1936 Ford Roadster, you will see that their illustration shows the 35 style Clamps for the Wind Wings. Ford Australia simply used the same illustration for the local vehicle with just a slight touch-up to the art-work to illustrate the different roof line that they used on the Australian roadster, as well as the larger cabin area. This illustration in turn was taken from the Australian 1935 Brochure as you can see from the above photo. When the touch-up artist was making these changes, I guess that he overlooked that detail?