Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
88chickentc

Default 1949 Coupe Dimensions--Shop Manual

I looked in my 49-51 shop manual CD-ROM and could not find the diagram for the frame and body mount dimensions. When I googled it, the document I found seemed to say "page 410", but my CD-ROM manual only goes up to pg 319. The online document was too small to read the details. Is there a second book with this information? Fig. 23 in my manual has body bolt torque specs, but not frame dimensions.

I'm trying to plan a body cart that will hold both this body and a '52 F-1 and the coupe will obviously need a longer cart. The vehicles are stored a 90-minute drive from me and I'm feeling a little lazy. Does anyone have the diagram or a lead on where I can get it? I know I could just crawl underneath and measure, but it seems cleaner and less of a chance of running into a Brown Recluse if I use the book dimensions.

Sorry. I accidentally posted this in the Swap Meet section earlier. I think it fits better here.
88chickentc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1949 Coupe Dimensions--Shop Manual

I don't have the manual for the 49 to 51 Fords but I do have the manual for the Lincoln and Mercury cars. It has a full body section with a lot of information. Some of the CDs out there aren't inclusive due to the manuals that were used to make them. My first manual for the Mercury cars only had info through 1950 since the manuals were updated several times since the original publication in 1949. A person needs to make sure the product they get has all the updates from 1949 through 1951. The 1951 updates were substantial due to the addition of automatic transmissions and updated trim & sheet metal.

From what I could find on line, the shoebox Ford manual was only around 320 pages so the other information may have come from a different manual such as a body parts or a chassis parts manual.

Some of the frame pad kits come with a bolt & pad diagram.

Pickups have ladder type frames and the cars are definitely different. Your cart will have to be adaptable.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-08-2021 at 04:04 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote