Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2024, 12:30 AM   #1
Ken T

Default Does anyone else have this on their truck?

On the dash is this T-handle and I'm trying to figure out it's purpose. It goes under the dash and connects to linkage or a bar that crosses over to the other side of the chassis, and then that connects to the Master cylinder. The truck has a parking brake on the floor. It doesn't connect to the pumps or pump gauges, as these are controlled outside of the cab. I don't think the truck has a PTO.

unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (5)1.jpg unnamed (4).jpg
Ken T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 02:14 AM   #2
Randy in ca

Default Re: Does anyone else have this on their truck?

Never seen one exactly like that, but my thoughts are that it's a hydraulic brake line lock. Step on the brakes then pull on the handle and it should keep the pressure in the brake lines. The second picture also shows the mechanical parking brake assembly - the wheel on the driveline and the mechanically operated brake bands.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:31 AM   #3
aussie merc

seen em before 4 wheel holding brake used for hillstarts etc with heavy load 4 wheels will hold where the band brake wont
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:18 AM   #4
pistonbroke

Yes that's a hill holder ,a neat thing to have on a big truck . Also ,Ken if your truck was a pump truck it does or did have a PTO to run the pump I would think. Is there a second drive shaft coming off the transmission? Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:46 PM   #5
Ken T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Yes that's a hill holder ,a neat thing to have on a big truck . Also ,Ken if your truck was a pump truck it does or did have a PTO to run the pump I would think. Is there a second drive shaft coming off the transmission? Tim
No it doesn't. It appears the drive shaft connects to the pump. I believe the control to engage the pump is outside of the cab right next to where the hoses would be hooked up. The control that I'm referring to is labeled "ROAD" "NEU" "PRIME" "PUMP". I'm going back to the desert tomorrow and will follow where everything goes and take pictures. I'm still trying to separate the truck from the fire engine

Screenshot 2024-03-13 133627.jpg IMG_9190 (1).jpg

Last edited by Ken T; 03-13-2024 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 05:48 PM   #6
Bob C

I've seen a setup like that before on a AA Ford fire truck, they are still
in business.
https://www.waterousco.com/product-c...mounted-pumps/
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:46 PM   #7
Newc

The pump operator 'engineer' ran the pump from the pump station. generally had throttle control and an engine tachometer. My generator tach had a 10ft cable drive to the pump 'station'. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:35 PM   #8
Ken T

It has a throttle control just outside on the driver's side. It has linkage that connects it to the gas pedal. I think you explained what the thing on the front of the generator is. It has a cable that goes to the tach on the pumps.

IMG_8897 (1).jpg IMG_9511.jpg
IMG_9155.jpg IMG_9155 (1).jpg
Old 03-13-2024, 07:48 PM   #9
Karl Wescott

It fairly common (and "standard" now) to have a interlock to set the brakes before putting the pump in gear. That is likely part of a system of that sort.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:21 AM   #10
pistonbroke

Wow! Shows what I know about fire trucks. It's kind of like a transfer case on a high boy ford and makes total sense. Tim
Old 03-14-2024, 10:43 PM   #11
Ken T

Quote:
Follow up from yesterday. I went to the desert today and was able to power wash most of the silt off from underneath the truck and under the hood. The drive shaft comes off the trans to the pump, then there's a second drive shaft from the pump to the rear end.

unnamed (29).jpg unnamed (30).jpg unnamed (32).jpg unnamed (33).jpg
Old 03-14-2024, 11:00 PM   #12
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken T View Post
Follow up from yesterday. I went to the desert today and was able to power wash most of the silt off from underneath the truck and under the hood. The drive shaft comes off the trans to the pump, then there's a second drive shaft from the pump to the rear end.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 08:15 AM   #13
pistonbroke

Ken , You have a good looking truck all the way around . I'm curious about that pump . Does it have a higher rear drive shaft gearing for the trucks road speed or is it just a pump with a manual coupling for the drive shaft? Does anyone here know? Big trucks are so low geared it would kind of make sense on a emergency vehicle. Tim
Old 03-15-2024, 05:36 PM   #14
Ken T

Quote:
Ken , You have a good looking truck all the way around . I'm curious about that pump . Does it have a higher rear drive shaft gearing for the trucks road speed or is it just a pump with a manual coupling for the drive shaft? Does anyone here know? Big trucks are so low geared it would kind of make sense on a emergency vehicle. Tim
I'm not sure about the gearing. It has the control that I shared earlier. It is attached to this rod that is parallel to the drive shaft that goes to the pump.

I believe that the pump is like you said before, a transfer case on a 4X4. It at least appears that way. I'm by far, no expert.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 133627.jpg unnamed (30).jpg
Old 03-15-2024, 08:07 PM   #15
Karl Wescott

Typically a "midship" fire pump is designed to operate in the highest transmission gear. The transfer case engages the pump and disengages the the drive line from the rear axle (thus the need to positively set brakes). The pumper is NOT designed to drive with the pump engaged.

The small pump unit on the side of the transfer case might be a primer pump. If so this is a "positive displacement" gear pump which will pull a vacuum. These usually have some oil feed with a small reservoir up "high". Use of the primer allows water to be pulled up a suction hose to the main pump enough so it will begin moving water. (Yes, technically the water would be pushed by atmospheric pressure).

The common operating procedure would be:
Stop the pumper. Set brakes.
Clutch in, transmission to neutral, shift to pump, transmission to high gear, clutch out. Throttle at idle.

Step outside. Chock wheels.
If you have a water tank (and many pumpers of that era did not) make sure all intake valves and discharge valves are shut and ports capped. Open tank to pump valve. Uncap and open one discharge port slightly. Increase RPM and operate primer until water is showing at discharge port. Now you can connect a hose or switch to another port and adjust RPM to achieve the desired discharge pressure. If you are not flowing water you can reduce RPM to idle and open a tank to pump valve to circulate water to keep the pump cool (running with the pump engaged and not flowing water can overheat the pump).
If you are getting water from a hydrant or other pressurized source you may not need to use the primer. Open the appropriate intake valve and slightly open an outlet valve and wait for water to show. (DO NOT USE SUCTION HOSE ON A HYDRANT, bad things to a water system can happen).
If you are going to suck water from a static source you will need hard suction hose, and all hose gaskets (and your pump, valves, and pipes) will have to be in good condition to avoid air leaks. You want a strainer and some means of keeping the strainer above the mud level of what you are pumping from (often the suction hose is tied to a ladder). (Sidebar... wading chest deep into a mill pond to tie off a suction hose is not a fun thing.) Those big lugs on the inlet side of the pump... thats so you can use a rubber mallet to try to get a good seal on the suction hose. With the discharge ports closed and the inlet open pull on the primer pump, this may take a few minutes. You should notice a vacuum indication on the inlet pressure gauge, then the suction hose filling with water and a change of sound of the primer pump as water fills the main pump. When you see pressure on the outlet gauge then slightly open a discharge port, if you have water showing then open it slowly until you have water freely flowing... now you can pump through whatever hoses you want to.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:05 AM   #16
Mart

Learnt a lot reading this thread and Karl's reply above.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 07:50 AM   #17
pistonbroke

Thanks Karl, Good info on a subject I knew next to nothing about but was always curios about. Tim
Old 03-16-2024, 01:45 PM   #18
Ken T

Thank you Karl, very informative. I spoke with a fire fighter last night and he explained a lot to me also. One thing I found interesting was that he clarified what the odd thing under the carburetor was. We assumed it was a Governor. He explained that it help cool the engine when the pump was running by pumping cool water from the pump to the engine. This being necessary because air wouldn't be circulating around the engine to cool it while parked. There's a 1/2" copper tube that runs from the device to the round handle under the gauges and this controls the water pressure .

unnamed (35).jpg unnamed (36).jpg

Last edited by Ken T; 03-16-2024 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2024, 08:09 PM   #19
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken T View Post
Thank you Karl, very informative. I spoke with a fire fighter last night and he explained a lot to me also. One thing I found interesting was that he clarified what the odd thing under the carburetor was. We assumed it was a Governor. He explained that it help cool the engine when the pump was running by pumping cool water from the pump to the engine. This being necessary because air wouldn't be circulating around the engine to cool it while parked. There's a 1/2" copper tube that runs from the device to the round handle under the gauges and this controls the water pressure .

Attachment 538359 Attachment 538360

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote