Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
hope

Default cameraderie

I've been surfing for a long time,verry seldom posting,seems to me there's something missing from the old Ford barn, dont ask me what it is but i have this uneasy feeling Something is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: cameraderie

Me too, but it's the only game in town. Enjoy!
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
tom/illinois

I ditto that guys. It's just not the same old place.
tom/illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
ken ct
BANNED

I agree too,liked the old barn better. To me it was easier to get around on it,but its all we have. ken isidor ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #5
rogeroadster

That's an interesting observation. I just mostly lurk also and to me it has quickly settled back to the old ford barn in just a different format.
rogeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
55 dude

was the old place easier to post pictures? this new format with everyone posting pictures of their vehicles in various stages of building or done is killer. as a old mopar guy i can honestly say in the last month i have learned a huge amount about old fords. my 38' isn't stock but the stuff that gets posted is pretty interesting, keep posting tech with pictures.
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
blacktopbuddha

Just like your old flathead. You can take your time and clean, measure, align, and straighten and get what you get, OR you can rush and build it dirty and akilter then get what you get.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #8
fordscript

I also liked the old 'barn, was very saddened when I learned it was going away, but am more than delighted with what we now have. All these photo's etc are just GREAT. Thanks to Ryan and all the contributors.
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #9
Hoop

"The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese."

Who Moved My Cheese? a book by Spencer Johnson, features four characters; two mice, "Sniff" and "Scurry," and two littlepeople, miniature humans in essence, "Hem" and "Haw." They live in a maze, a representation of one's environment, and look for cheese, representative of happiness and success. Initially without cheese, each group, the mice and humans, paired off and traveled the lengthy corridor searching for cheese. One day both groups happen upon a cheese-filled corridor in "Cheese Station C". Content with their find, the humans establish routines around their daily intake of cheese, slowly becoming arrogant in the process.

One day Sniff and Scurry arrive at Cheese Station C to find no cheese left but they are not surprised. Noticing the cheese supply dwindling, they have mentally prepared beforehand for the arduous but inevitable task of finding more cheese. Leaving Cheese Station C behind, they begin their hunt for new cheese together. Later that day, Hem and Haw arrive at Cheese Station C only to find the same thing, no cheese. Angered and annoyed, Hem demands, "Who moved my cheese?" Unprepared, the humans have counted on the cheese supply to be constant. After verifying that the cheese is indeed gone they rant at the unfairness of the situation and both head home hungry. Returning the next day, Hem and Haw find the same cheeseless station. Beginning to realize the situation at hand, Haw proposes a search for new cheese. But Hem is dead set in his victimized mindset and nixes the proposal.

Meanwhile, Sniff and Scurry have found "Cheese Station N", a new supply of cheese. Back at Cheese Station C, Hem and Haw are affected by their lack of cheese and blame each other for their predicament. Hoping to change, Haw again proposes a search for new cheese. However, Hem is comforted by his old routine and also afraid of the unknown. So again he knocks the idea. After many days in denial (including a search for cheese behind the wall of Cheese Station C) the humans remain without cheese. One day, having discovered his debilitating fears, Haw begins to laugh at the situation and stopped taking himself so seriously. Realizing he should simply move on, Haw enters the maze, but not before chiseling "If You Do Not Change, You Can Become Extinct" on the wall of Cheese Station C for his friend to ponder. Still fearful of his trek, Haw jots "What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid?" on the wall and, after thinking about that, he begins his journey. Still plagued with worry (perhaps he has waited too long to begin his search...), Haw finds some scattered cheese that nourishes him and he is able to continue his search.

Slowly losing his denial, Haw realizes that the cheese has not suddenly disappeared, but has dwindled from continual eating, and that the older cheese was not as tasty and had been moldy. After a letdown, an empty cheese station, Haw begins worrying about the unknown again. Brushing aside his fears, Haw's new mindset allows him to again enjoy life. He has even begun to smile again! He is realizing that "When you move beyond your fear, you feel free." After another empty cheese station, Haw decides to go back for Hem with the few bits of new cheese he has managed to find. Uncompromising, Hem turns away the new cheese, to his friend's dismay.

With knowledge acquired along the way, Haw heads back into the maze. Going still deeper into the maze, impelled by bits of new cheese here and there, Haw leaves a trail of writings on the wall ("The Handwriting On the Wall"). These clarify his own thinking and give him hope that his friend will find aid in them during his search for new cheese. Still traveling, Haw one day comes across Cheese Station N, abundant with cheese, including some varieties that are strange to him, and he realizes he has found what he is looking for. After eating, Haw reflects on his experience. He ponders a return to see his old friend. But Haw decides to let Hem find his own way. Finding the largest wall in Cheese Station N, he writes:

Change Happens
They Keep Moving The Cheese

Anticipate Change
Get Ready For The Cheese To Move

Monitor Change
Smell The Cheese Often So You Know When It Is Getting Old

Adapt To Change Quickly
The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese

Change
Move With The Cheese

Enjoy Change!
Savor The Adventure And Enjoy The Taste Of New Cheese!

Be Ready To Change Quickly And Enjoy It Again & Again
They Keep Moving The Cheese.

(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Last edited by Hoop; 06-08-2010 at 05:37 AM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #10
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Well put Hoop, I enjoy change, some do some don't.....
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #11
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 dude View Post
was the old place easier to post pictures?
NO!! The new format is much more photo friendly.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #12
WHITEY

I just like old Fords, enjoy working on them and with their parts, its hard to explain. I would like to gain knowledge from those who have done the work for years, and enjoyed the parts. I hope to share what I know(not much),post some of what Im doing, have done, and encourage others to do the same....

Last edited by WHITEY; 06-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
WHITEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #13
Vic Piano

Change, while inevitable, is sometimes good and sometimes not. For the most part, I'm enjoying the "new" FordBarn format however; I do agree that some of the camaraderie and even the banter have vanished. This format makes things seem much more impersonal in my opinion but, it is what it is and I'm glad we still have a place to congregate,
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #14
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Change, while inevitable, is sometimes good and sometimes not. For the most part, I'm enjoying the "new" FordBarn format however; I do agree that some of the camaraderie and even the banter have vanished. This format makes things seem much more impersonal in my opinion but, it is what it is and I'm glad we still have a place to congregate,
I agree with what you have said, Vic. This format is easy to post pictures and has many options that we never had before, but the only similarity to the old Barn is the name. This site is very impersonal, it seems to me. But, its all we have now.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #15
raceron1120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
"The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese." Who Moved My Cheese?
What a great story! It can relate to nearly any situation. I think as we get older it's tougher to change habits we've had for years.

As for the comaraderie, I think I know what some of you mean. How I wish we could sit around the woodstove like when I was a kid, while Dad and his cronies told stories. . . well it ain't like that no more and ain't never gonna be that way again.

Being in the Air Force and working for the Army for most of the last 39 years, I've seen plenty of persons come and go, some never to return while others might only be a click or 2 away. Like it or not, we learn to embrace change, but we don't have to forget the old days & ways.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:29 AM   #16
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
I've been surfing for a long time,verry seldom posting,seems to me there's something missing from the old Ford barn, dont ask me what it is but i have this uneasy feeling Something is missing!!!!!!!!!!!!
I liked and miss the camaraderie on the old 'Barn as well, but the more I work with this new forum software, the more I like it. It was kinda like losing an old friend, or maybe many old friends, but we can't go back now and we should be very thankful that Ryan stepped up and took the Bull by the horns. JMO, JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #17
Dave72dt

Kind of like walking into a room full of people and you don't know anyone there. I think the new forum has opened the door to people who didn't know Fordbarn existed or really didn't feel quite at home at the HAMB. As we meet these new people, we'll also find more and more of the old familiar names drifting in to visit and get acquanted. It's expanded our knowledge base and known enthusiast base. That's good! As far as getting around in here, just takes some practice. Getting around in the old site took the same thing, practice. Certainly not as hard as finding what you want when shopping in a mall at Xmas

Go ahead, make some new freinds. It's not like we can ever have too many.
Dave72dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #18
19Fordy

The new Fordbarn format is a million times better in all respects that the old, especially when it come to posting photos. Hat's off to Ryan. The difference , I think, now is that you don't have the frequency of "posts" by the old Fordbarn regulars.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #19
Dennis/Arkansas

Hey Hoop, I really enjoyed the mouse story, very apropos. I was hesitant about embracing this new format at first. Now I'm glad I did, it is certainly proving its worth! The old format was great as well. The comraderie is slowly creeping in. I do miss some of the old barn contributors, David/Mass comes to mind. What a wealth of knowledge that man had. I believe things will only get better. Dennis/Arkansas
Dennis/Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #20
hotcoupe

WE make this site what it is.
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #21
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis/Arkansas View Post
David/Mass comes to mind. What a wealth of knowledge that man had. I believe things will only get better. Dennis/Arkansas
I contacted David in Mass. via E-mail and got his story on why he is not here. Sad.......because like you say......he has a wealth of knowledge and did not hesitate to help others. JM

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
flatjack9

The camardarie is of your own making. Lots of people didn't go on the old Fordbarn because of its' format. This is soooo much better. As for David/Mass, he left before the Barn changed.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #23
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave72dt View Post
Kind of like walking into a room full of people and you don't know anyone there. I think the new forum has opened the door to people who didn't know Fordbarn existed or really didn't feel quite at home at the HAMB. As we meet these new people, we'll also find more and more of the old familiar names drifting in to visit and get acquanted. It's expanded our knowledge base and known enthusiast base. That's good! As far as getting around in here, just takes some practice. Getting around in the old site took the same thing, practice. Certainly not as hard as finding what you want when shopping in a mall at Xmas

Go ahead, make some new freinds. It's not like we can ever have too many.

Amen, good observation.

I would add that there are other advantages (ala Hoops paste). One of the short comings I've noticed from other sites is that the familiarity that some may miss can unintentionally come across as exclusionary clique-ishness. I wasn't a participant in the old Fordbarn forum, quite frankly hadn't noticed it's existance, only looked at and used the classified feature. I suspect some of the ol' forum members haven't embraced the change and don't come around anymore. Then there are others who are new to the forum feature here who will bring valuable experience and advice. As said by others, give it time, what comes naturally will evolve. I think it's already got a good start. Those who've been involved with starting a forum from scratch would envy the "hit the ground running" nature of the update here.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
Pete

I don't miss Shelly giving me a dose of undeserved crap.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:11 PM   #25
FRANK PKNY

The new barn is great. I think things will level out, my only problem is the posts that keep reappearing on the top. Liked the old way better and also would like it if the read posts would remain marked read. Possible if they changed color, would work for me. I also think some of the old guys from the barn have given up! JMHO Frank pkny
Old 06-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #26
Vic Piano

I do miss Shelly, in my opinion she made the FordBarn a welcom site to go to for Ford Flathead knowledge and general conversation. To me it felt like one big family. I made a lot of good friends, learned a lot, enjoyed hosting several Florida based FordBarn Meets and yes, was chastized by Shelly once or twice and I'm sure I deserved it. Most of us refered to Shelly as "Mom" out of respect for her and the tough job she handled with finess. I am privillaged to call her a friend.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
Hoop

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this camaraderie business. In spite of the nagging memories of many exchanges on the 'Barn that were more like cat fights in bars, I know what some of you mean.

When I was a kid, my hometown had a "Number Please" phone system. There was no dial on the phone; you just picked up the receiver and the operator said, "Number please." We would give her the number we wanted to call, like 917-J.

Sometimes we didn't know the number so we just told her we wanted to talk to Billy Powell over on the heights. She probably new Esther Powell ... and the phone number without even looking it up. It wasn't a real small town, maybe 20,000 people.

Sometimes you'd be calling a girlfriend. My sister-in-law was a telephone operator and always recognized me on the phone. She'd tease me a lot.

It was hard to cheat on your wife or girlfriend in my hometown because the operators knew everything that was going on. They were also some of the most popular young women and were never short of guys asking them out.

There were also "party lines." Not a heck of a bunch of privacy there.

Lots of camaraderie.

A couple of weeks ago, I was returning from visiting my son and his family out in Montana. As I was boarding the plane in Bozeman, a woman sat down beside me. She was frantically trying to place a cellphone call to her son's hotel to leave him a message. His hotel was in the Czech Republic outside of Prague. She had the hotel's number but not the Czech country "area" code for international calls.

I took my cell phone and called my wife who was at her desk at work back home in Jacksonville. She is the exec assistant to the CEO of a local hospital system; the CEO happened to be on vacation in Rome, she had a list of European country codes on her desk and in 5 seconds we had it.

My seat partner placed the call in time before instructions to discontinue cellphone use was made. We spent the next two hours talking ... camaraderie ... she was an English professor from a small college. NOT my sister-in-law, Marlene, like in the old days, but technology made the link.

And Marlene did not connect me and my son this morning as he drove to work. There was no "Number Please." My son and I had a nice chat ... camaraderie, I guess.

Anyhow, IF there IS something wrong with the camaraderie (don't think there really is), I bet it isn't the communication system ... seems to be going pretty well in this thread anyhow.

Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #28
52merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
hi vic when you read all the posts on this thread the main thing that comes up is how easy it is to post photos,i know we all like to post photos but as has been said the camaraderie is not there & it will never be there ,i gather you & others have not had personal messages sent to you with s/a remarks ect ect ect it is quite obvious what site these guys are from, the undertone of there messages leaves something to be desired,we have all heard the stories of that site & what they seemed to have got away with ,,however as ol ron said this is the only game in town for the moment at least, trev
52merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #29
blacktopbuddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
camaraderie is not there & it will never be there
The new barn is barely a month along and you expect what was built after 10 years on the old site to be nearly instantaneous here?
As in anything new, there are going to be growing pains. Here there's new members and the old members trying to learn their way around. Almost everyone is learning something new in these early stages.
Also, the on-line aspect of it makes it a bit harder than sitting around a garage or wherever face to face. You have to be a bit more cautious in this instance, at least I am.
Seems to me the only ones who are really hindering the feeling of a growing community and camaraderie here are the ones who are, for lack of better words, bratty and whiny about it.
Why not just look for the positive aspects and try to improve the not so glowing points.
Give it a chance instead of writing it off for all the future.

Last edited by blacktopbuddha; 06-08-2010 at 06:11 PM.
blacktopbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #30
flatjack9

Quote:
hi vic when you read all the posts on this thread the main thing that comes up is how easy it is to post photos,i know we all like to post photos but as has been said the camaraderie is not there & it will never be there ,i gather you & others have not had personal messages sent to you with s/a remarks ect ect ect it is quite obvious what site these guys are from, the undertone of there messages leaves something to be desired,we have all heard the stories of that site & what they seemed to have got away with ,,however as ol ron said this is the only game in town for the moment at least, trev
Hey Trev, you've got to get out from under that black cloud over your head. Lighten up, man.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:47 PM   #31
Frank The Plumber

Quote:
Ive been on both sites, on the other site you pretty much expect no prisoners to be taken on this one you can get lulled in to that. Both are really the same you guys just have cleaner diction. You could never combine the sites, the HAMB motto is modify it hard and this sites motto is stock, Ive seen a few poor souls try to speak out on behalf of saving the stock appeal of a car or two on there, yikes. The old barn never could attract the rod guys and I think that is because of the hambs existence. I liked the old barn but now the cheese is here. And so far its still fresh enough.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #32
4tford

hey we are the same old bunch and it will just take some time to get into a rhythm.
4tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #33
joe plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcoupe View Post
WE make this site what it is.
I have to agree
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #34
redfor40

i think in time everone can enjoy. so far so good like the pictures
redfor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #35
Harms Way

I came to the Ford Barn almost everyday for a lot of years,... I found, and sold some cool stuff here,... I only posted on the forums once in a great while,.... Because to me it was unfamiliar and cumbersome. (I ain't throwing rocks here, it was just unlike any other forum I had been on, and I didn't like it).

I think were just creatures of habit,... we get used to something, and that's what were comfortable with,.... Well, the Ford Barn just went through a growth spell,... some of us like it, others don't and that's understandable. I truly believe if you guys hang in there and continue to give this format a chance,... you will find it much more user friendly,... and streamlined then the Old Ford Barn.

Maybe it's because I'm use to this format,... But for me,..I have a whole lot better feeling of community and camaraderie now,.. then I ever felt before on the Ford Barn,...and believe me,... I gave it a good try over all those years.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #36
Ol' Ron

I must say I do like Cheese, most of the time I get provolone, however Cheter is good too. Sometimes I get Monterrey Jack with Jalopinas . I also like cottage cheese on a salad. I feel sorry for youse guys if i ever figger out how to post pictures. I got a million of them. I think that's why Shelly made it difficult to post them
Ol' Ron
Old 06-08-2010, 11:03 PM   #37
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
I must say I do like Cheese, most of the time I get provolone, however Cheter is good too. Sometimes I get Monterrey Jack with Jalopinas . I also like cottage cheese on a salad. I feel sorry for youse guys if i ever figger out how to post pictures. I got a million of them. I think that's why Shelly made it difficult to post them
Ol' Ron
Ol' Ron-your words of wisdom have been invaluable. I'm thinking the pictures would be even better. As someone said " A picture is worth a 1000 words." IMO the picture posting effort on this site doesn't involve a steep learning curve. Go for it!! Looking forward to your next post with photos. Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #38
X38

You guys still whinin'?

Trev, are you sure you're not English?
X38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #39
Hotrodladycrusr

In my opinion alot of the "banter" went by way of the social groups and PM's. I really don't understand joining a social group that is topic specific. If it has to do with Fords place it on the main boards.

If someone helped you out by answering a question or offering a solution to a problem that was posted on the main board, reply with your respons/thank you on the main board. No need to send the person a PM and take the "banter" private. Common conversation/banter is how everyone gets to know each other. Trust me when I say just from reading guys comments on this board, not comments directed at me, just comments, questions, suggestions, replies, etc, you can tell quite a bit about a person.....good and not so good.

As far as posting photos, it really is quite easy and is as simple as reading the directions and practicing a time or two.

Last edited by Hotrodladycrusr; 06-10-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Taking back my offer of personal help
Hotrodladycrusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #40
Ol' Ron

My computer grandson is graduation this week. Maybe I can get him to show me how to post pictures when he gets time. Tomorrow I'm getting a new printer with a scanner built in, Could be dangerous.
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM   #41
Dennis/Arkansas

Ol' Ron, I hope your Grandson comes through for you. I'd love to see some of those millions of pictures you have! Dennis/Arkansas
Quote:
My computer grandson is graduation this week. Maybe I can get him to show me how to post pictures when he gets time. Tomorrow I'm getting a new printer with a scanner built in, Could be dangerous.
Dennis/Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #42
52merc

Thumbs up Re: cameraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
You guys still whinin'?

Trev, are you sure you're not English?

gidday as you well know im not a pom!!just where in my post am i whinning?i answered ol rons post then comented on how easy to do pics,then went on about getting s/a private messages have you had any ? i guess not,, is it because ive dared to mention that other site !! or what ,
Old 06-09-2010, 09:15 PM   #43
Ol' Ron

In my early life I never took many pictures, my wife took family pics and that's about it. Unfortunately I never took pics of my cars or raceses or anything else for that matter. I only got started when I wrote my book, I have a small Digital camera that worls fine. On a months trip with Rumble seat, I took 900 pics. Haven't seen all of them yet either.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #44
George G

I like the fact that Ryan doesn't tolerate bullying. Something that was all too present on the old board.
George G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #45
Ronnie

Amen George

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:21 AM   #46
X38

Quote:

gidday as you well know im not a pom!!just where in my post am i whinning?i answered ol rons post then comented on how easy to do pics,then went on about getting s/a private messages have you had any ? i guess not,, is it because ive dared to mention that other site !! or what ,
Trev, you've had a whine in quite a few threads. Especially about pictures.

Must be the NZ wine .

Last edited by X38; 06-10-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: I left out the in.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #47
52merc

that was about posting lots of pics on the foum if you remember thats not a whine ;i dont mind about pics when your trying to find something ect but stuff like this is the offical site of whatever year was what i was talking about,i personally do not think a forum is the place for that as the site has other places for it,plus those posts were quite a while ago,,tell me were you ever on the ol barn b4 under that x38,or just on the hamb?? by the way i dont drink wine lol
Old 06-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #48
X38

I visited the Barn Trevor but it was, let's just say, not very user friendly. I am also on the Early Ford V8 Club site under the same name.

Friends of mine tell me the wine from Marlborough is very good.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #49
denverslim

No offence intended here, but it's boring around this site. I don't know if it's the cumbersom format or what, but I just can't get too excited about it. You know?
I look at the posts and sometimes try to get a rise or a chuckle and it's like were all kinda dead. Maybe everything has already been said about old Fords that is to be said and the bitching and name calling over at hamb is just to get people to tune in.
Jeese, how many more posts about what is the best way to clean WW tires can we handle?
Kinda like the Stepford wifes talking about tips on cleaning the kitchen floor.
Tell me I'm wrong! What is it?...slim
denverslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #50
Don W/Norfolk

It's kinda like when they redecorated the diner. Nothing changed except the vinyl on the stools. Same menu, same food, same service but those seats just didn't sit right for a while. Give it time, guys and quit picking at the new upholstery. dw
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #51
Django

Maybe part of the perceived problem is the segregation. I love it. I'm not into the Model T or the Model A that much unless it's a hot rod. '32-48, stock, hot rod, junk, pristine, I don't care. Love them. But I can see where it would look like a lot less is going on with the segregation.

Post more stuff if you think the site is boring. Start a thread on how you rebuilt your 3 speed. Or how you put a Columbia in your '39. Or how you found that '40 Merc in a junkyard? Take advantage of the new photo capabilities and post pics along with the tech how to. A message board is only as good as the members and their contributions.

If David/Mass left before, then why? See if he will consider coming back. Like I have posted before, I LOVE the reformat of the Barn, which is why I post regularly now instead of when I have a problem/question or when I'm buying/selling.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #52
GreenMonster48

I only lurked here before the revision. It seemed like an untapped resource of knowledge. (I say untapped because a lot of the threads were difficult to read/search for.) There's a lot of knowledge here that I'd love to see shared with the next generation. I'm 29 and just learning about Flatheads. Please consider us, and we'll listen.
GreenMonster48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #53
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Django View Post
Maybe part of the perceived problem is the segregation. I love it. I'm not into the Model T or the Model A that much unless it's a hot rod. '32-48, stock, hot rod, junk, pristine, I don't care. Love them. But I can see where it would look like a lot less is going on with the segregation.

Post more stuff if you think the site is boring. Start a thread on how you rebuilt your 3 speed. Or how you put a Columbia in your '39. Or how you found that '40 Merc in a junkyard? Take advantage of the new photo capabilities and post pics along with the tech how to. A message board is only as good as the members and their contributions.

If David/Mass left before, then why? See if he will consider coming back. Like I have posted before, I LOVE the reformat of the Barn, which is why I post regularly now instead of when I have a problem/question or when I'm buying/selling.
Extremely well said Chad!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:23 AM   #54
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster48 View Post
I only lurked here before the revision. ....... I'm 29 and just learning about Flatheads. Please consider us, and we'll listen.
THIS is why threads about so called "old boring/repetitive/mundane/whatever subjects" (e.g. cleaning W/W, but many others as well) have meaning. When you're green you grow.....when you're ripe you rot. Young blood is good for our hobby and should be encouraged.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #55
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverslim View Post
No offence intended here, but it's boring around this site. I don't know if it's the cumbersom format or what, but I just can't get too excited about it. You know?
I look at the posts and sometimes try to get a rise or a chuckle and it's like were all kinda dead. Maybe everything has already been said about old Fords that is to be said and the bitching and name calling over at hamb is just to get people to tune in.
Jeese, how many more posts about what is the best way to clean WW tires can we handle?
Kinda like the Stepford wifes talking about tips on cleaning the kitchen floor.
Tell me I'm wrong! What is it?...slim
It's kind of like when we talk about the "good ole days". We remember the good parts, but forget about all the crap and inconveniences we had to put up with. There was a lot of drivel on the old site. This format is head and shoulders above the old Barn. I don't see how you can say this is cumbersome compared to the old site.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM   #56
jerseyboy

I've been posting and lurking on the Barn since 2004. I've met some great people and read some pretty nasty rants. The only thing that has changed is the format and some of the original crew are no longer here.

In time things will settle down, there will be fights about water pumps and politics. I can remember lots of disscusions that had nothing to do with Fords, like mice and Clem Clements where abouts

I liked the old Barn, and I like the new one

AKA Scott/CT
Hooked up on it now.
I tried to hook another
To see if I'd do a little good,
But ain't no place to put it
'Less I perforate the hood.

Wanted, lower side sections of 32 radiator cowl.

Last edited by jerseyboy; 06-10-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: more info
jerseyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #57
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboy View Post

In time things will settle down, there will be fights about water pumps and politics.
AKA Scott/CT
Nope, won't happen.
In Ryan's world there are very strick rules regarding discussions on politics or religion.
Rightly so those posts/replies are deleted immediately.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #58
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope View Post
Quote:
Me too, but it's the only game in town. Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom/illinois View Post
I ditto that guys. It's just not the same old place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
I agree too,liked the old barn better. To me it was easier to get around on it,but its all we have. ken isidor ct.

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has opened for us.’ Alexander Graham Bell
Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #59
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodladycrusr View Post
In my opinion alot of the "banter" went by way of the social groups and PM's. I really don't understand joining a social group that is topic specific. If it has to do with Fords place it on the main boards.

If someone helped you out by answering a question or offering a solution to a problem that was posted on the main board, reply with your respons/thank you on the main board. No need to send the person a PM and take the "banter" private. Common conversation/banter is how everyone gets to know each other. Trust me when I say just from reading guys comments on this board, not comments directed at me, just comments, questions, suggestions, replies, etc, you can tell quite a bit about a person.....good and not so good.

As far as posting photos, it really is quite easy and is as simple as reading the directions and practicing a time or two.
I totally agree. Social groups are a dumb idea. Can only lead to splintering the group.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #60
53ash

I'm new to the Ford Barn. Never knew about the old one. I came from the Hamb. I really like being able to talk about something or ask about something, here, without being slammed around by A** H#@&s.
I love these old cars, and have friends that do too. My Dad drove, raced, etc. flatheads "in the day" He's gone now, so this is where I go to learn and share some of what I know. Keep talking and teaching. Invite new and/or young folks in and take care of them. Things will keep going and won't be "boring or stale" to any of us. And we can know that we are spreading this really great information and making a difference, in this world anyway. Thanks for all the good stuff here. Sorry I didn't know the old place. Hugh
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #61
Model A Lady

LOL! I like whine too........err.......I mean cheese.
Maybe I'll go harass Pete VS (like WHEN the heck did I do thaat?)

I never made the picture stuff available because of server space.

Quote:
Ol' Ron
Model A Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #62
52merc

way to go mom
Old 06-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #63
52merc

gidday ash yes i had heard that about that site,unfortunatly some of them lurk here as well,this will get them going again,,i like your 53 merc i have a 52 welcome to the barn
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #64
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Lady View Post

Oh oh Model "A" lady switched over to Chebbbbys,whats this world comming to.?? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:02 PM   #65
Jake H.

Quote:
gidday ash yes i had heard that about that site,unfortunatly some of them lurk here as well,this will get them going again,,i like your 53 merc i have a 52 welcome to the barn
Quite a few of us came from the HAMB. The one's that were on there years and years ago. We all got tired of bs, bullying, and the new "rat rodder" influx from time to time.

This is a great little oasis for those of us who love flathead Fords. Come on, we're not all bad.

I'd like to thank all of the original Ford Barn'ers for keeping this place alive, and allowing us to migrate over, as long as we are respectful.
Jake H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #66
52merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake H. View Post
Quite a few of us came from the HAMB. The one's that were on there years and years ago. We all got tired of bs, bullying, and the new "rat rodder" influx from time to time.

This is a great little oasis for those of us who love flathead Fords. Come on, we're not all bad.

I'd like to thank all of the original Ford Barn'ers for keeping this place alive, and allowing us to migrate over, as long as we are respectful.
thanks jake that real nice of you & yes i know of a lot of guys the experinced that so they also left,my self im having a lot of trouble navigating here regards trev
Old 06-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #67
296 V8
BANNED

cameraderie
Seams fairly good here IMO with a few exceptions

The few peoples that

1. Don’t say thank you for the help you offer up.
2. Don’t even acknowledge you even tried to help.
3. Keep biting the hand that feeds them because of there own computer illiteracy
4. Keep bitchin about were others happen to spend some time…. working it into every other post they make.
296 V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #68
blown49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
cameraderie

The few peoples that

3. Keep biting the hand that feeds them because of there own computer illiteracy
4. Keep bitchin about were others happen to spend some time…. working it into every other post they make.
I agree 296. Sometimes you can spend a lot of time searching for a picture or a page out of a manual, then scanning it, then saving it to your computer so you can post it to help someone. Guess @ 72 I came from the "please & thank you" generation. I'm also glad it continued thru Captain Kangaroo for my children.

I like your bug! You could not use that on the old forum. I think David Dunbar left because of the bickering that was going on. I agree he was very knowledgable and helpful to all.

Jim
Old 06-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #69
Ray Parson

fordbarn is the fordbarn even with the speed bump it least its still here thanks to ryan
Ray Parson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #70
Ol' Ron

I guess I deserve that, and I was just getting the hang of it.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #71
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Lady View Post
You gonna harass me 'cause of orange motors? I had no idea that another barn door had been opened. I gotta go in and take a look around! Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #72
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 296 V8 View Post
cameraderie

The few peoples that

Just had to quote ya cuz I so agree.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #73
Frank The Plumber

I think Ryan is missing a huge opportunity to give the guys with ot cars, non traditional street rods, guys with a few mods a place to call home, There are plenty of guys that want to make people feel unwelcome on both sites, they just want you to go away, maybe if Ryan would create a site for modern rods and the riff raff that is not wanted or at least provide links to sites that serve that niche, I think it would be an answer to the guys who want to take part but keep having the door slammed in their faces. I know he cant provide answers for everything or outlets for all enthusiasts but he must realize that he could easily have another hamb sized site by providing a service to the out casts.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #74
Frank The Plumber

Shelley:
Good luck with those Chevy guys, I only ever got involved with Fords because when the Chevy boys stole my cars they had to use a lot of duct tape to make my Ford parts fit on their Chevys, oh Im sorry Its now Chevrolets again, so we may market them to the French.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #75
Frank The Plumber

sssssshhhhhhhhhh, sssssssssshhhhhhh. hehehehe.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:55 PM   #76
X38

296 V8, well put.

Frank (The Plumber), there are plenty of street rod sites, no need to crate another one. Try Streetrodding.com for starters.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #77
Frank The Plumber

It would be an opportunity for the man to add to his empire. Honestly, how often are you on the garage site?
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #78
Gastrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
I think Ryan is missing a huge opportunity to give the guys with ot cars, non traditional street rods, guys with a few mods a place to call home, There are plenty of guys that want to make people feel unwelcome on both sites, they just want you to go away, maybe if Ryan would create a site for modern rods and the riff raff that is not wanted or at least provide links to sites that serve that niche, I think it would be an answer to the guys who want to take part but keep having the door slammed in their faces. I know he cant provide answers for everything or outlets for all enthusiasts but he must realize that he could easily have another hamb sized site by providing a service to the out casts.
The fact is, there are dozens of those sites out there already. I think the "unwelcomeness" that you see on these sites is somewhat understandable. Since there are literally dozens of streetrod (or other special interest) sites, I don't understand what motivates someone post about off topic subjects that clearly defy the focus of the board. I know that some have the "live and let live" and "so what if it doesn't exactly fit" attitude. But left untethered, these sites would completely jump the tracks and become worthless to the niche group they were intended for to begin with.
Gastrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #79
Frank The Plumber

x38, Dude! That site is the color of vomit and the format is trash, your man could deep six that in a week.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:07 PM   #80
Frank The Plumber

Gastrick,
So why not provide a links page to find unwanteds a home so they get off your sites? It would serve you guys better because it would unclog the posts.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #81
52merc

Quote:
Gastrick,
So why not provide a links page to find unwanteds a home so they get off your sites? It would serve you guys better because it would unclog the posts.
frank at least your frank about what you post spoken like a true blue oval,,what gets me is that a lot of these guys were not regulars on the ol barn but have flocked to this one ,the question is why,if they liked the hamb so much why leave it,,i really like the bit about the duck tape lol
Old 06-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #82
Gastrick

Frank, the sites are not "mine", I'm just a user of them and enjoy them. Additionally, I enjoy different types of cars and trucks. I'm not one of those people who think someone elses vehicle is worthless because it's not the style I prefer. I think for the most part, the folks posting off topic subjects are well aware of the forums that would better suit the subject matter. They just choose to fit in "everywhere". I'm really not in favor of running people off and publically belittling others anyway. That's not really what I was getting at.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #83
X38

Quote:
x38, Dude! That site is the color of vomit and the format is trash, your man could deep six that in a week.
Ah, but it is a non traditional street rod site as you described. In fact it's street rod in capital letters, so there ya go. And there are plenty more I'm sure.

Trev, the old site was a clunky piece of crap, that's why I never went there. And I don't believe you own the neighbourhood so if you want to bitch about all these new people "flocking here" , it's a xenophobia issue you're going to have to come to grips with. Do you want everyone to just go away and leave you and your chosen few to have the place to yourselves? Do you think you should be allowed vet every new member as to what other boards they were on before this one? Jesus, just let it go and let's stick to the cars.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:09 AM   #84
Frank The Plumber

I read the post about the smoothed 48 Chevy, theres a classic example of the more you push some one away the more they try to get in the door, that car was deemed off topic and not suitable for the barn, the guy keeps posting it dilligently because he is insulted and is looking to start a rebellion within the ranks of the hamb, truth be told it is a good looking piece it has a few minor detractions, if that guy was offered a link site he would peacefully just move along, instead he is swarmed, the guys swarming him for the most part show no pictures of their rides for all we know they are driving elantras. I had a guy with 18 thousand posts tell me that my 38 ford is not hamb worthy because my air cleaner is billet, he did not tell me this in a polite way, this guy was a member since 2006, do the math, this guy never even has the sun light touch his skin let alone have a ride, unless he is good friends with the elves. How bout a new rule if youre gonna slam a guy, show your ride. put up or shut up.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #85
X38

I'm not following you Frank? Are you talking about a thread on the Ford Barn or the HAMB?
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #86
Clem Clement

Maybe this will help:

As you know, I the Prlesident of the Train Collectors Associatoin. We have 29K+ folks worldwide who love trains and related activities as much as old car nuts love thier cars and related activities. We are getting ready for our annual convention in Baltimore next week. To this end all Divisions must submit an annual report which is shared with all other divisions. Let me quote the goal of one of them:

"We encourage gatherings, camaraderie, sharing of knowledge and having an enjoyable time with fellow train enthusiasts."

Change "train" to "Ford" and that is us. Isn't that a nice yet deep goal!!!!

Clem
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #87
FL&WVMIKE

FORDBARNERS ..........................
There IS a difference in the new FORDBARN and the old. I believe that the new is more information based and the old was more about personal connection.
The old had more BLOG type information, which would be harder on this format. Now, there was good information exchanged, but, also, a lot of personal chit-chat, both good and bad.
Shelly has re-opened the CHEVYBARN and has a "non-Chevy" section. Some of the OLD FORDBARNERS are posting back on there, because they miss the personal connection.
Me, I'm surfing them both.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #88
Cecil/WV

Me too!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #89
Hotrodladycrusr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post

"We encourage gatherings, camaraderie, sharing of knowledge and having an enjoyable time with fellow train enthusiasts."

Change "train" to "Ford" and that is us. Isn't that a nice yet deep goal!!!!

Clem
Don't you mean "stock Ford" cuz as we all know this isn't the place for anything but.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:10 PM   #90
Frank The Plumber

When I decided to build a 38 panel some 4 years ago I am sorry to say that I didnt go to the experts out there and ask them how I should build my truck so that I could conform to their standards of acceptance, I didnt submit a parts list to be reviewed by committee,I never asked anyones permission on what type of an engine I should have, what color to paint it or whether billet was acceptable. I didnt do this because Ive had many cars over many years, been to hundreds of car shows and stood next to absolutely flawless expressions of automotive art as well as iconic pieces of history and listened to self proclaimed experts and authorities dissect demean and nitpick gorgeous flawless work, as well as completely historic accurate restorations. In every case they were people truly from the outside looking in.
When you first get involved with old cars you think this is how you should act but after a while you put two and two together and figure out that these guys making all of the observations are living in their moms basement, they are spectators, these are the guys who spit in your car or worse when youre not looking, or theft your shifter knob, your comrade in this passion is the guy who owns the car 2 down, the guy who looks at your stuff and sees the picture, the guy who knows his ride is right across the lot and respects that his is not absolutely perfect either so he shuts up about your imperfections. So I didnt ask any of these spectators what they wanted to see, I asked my wife if I may allocate some of our funds towards a ride, she said I may, I went through all the old pictures and took ideas from you and you and you and that guy too and feel that I built a ride that is mature, respectable and that I like. For me it is very simple, those of the world who respect my pride in my vision as I respect yours are comrades, fellow enthusiasts, brothers, those of the world who pick pick pick and disrespect are spectators, at the end of the event all they leave with is a key fob, a drink insulator and a pep boys coupon for an oil change.
Years ago I won a trophy for some show, a first place, thing was huge, I went through and judged all the cars in my class and put myself about fifth out of ten, I never turned in any paper work and never stood by my rides to get skewered by the judge guys, most likely why the ride won, by my calculations this 19 year old kid had the field beat, he had a baby in a stroller and his cute young wife had another on the way, He had no chrome, he had all used parts, his ride was not perfect but for what he had to work with this kid had all the men beat, he and I spent most of the day just learning from each other, he came to me thinking he was going to learn something and in a half hour I must admit I had been schooled, he was a craftsman, he came in tenth, I called him up and told all of those guys that he was first and had to argue for thirty minutes with the 2nd and 3rd place goofs about why he was first and they were not 1st and 2nd. In the end I won and my man got HIS trophy. The next time I went to a show I put a nice sign on my ride that said do not judge, I waked down the row and there was my comrades car... with a nicer sign that said do not judge... and a new baby daughter.
Thats what its all about.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:09 PM   #91
FL&WVMIKE

Nice story there, Frank The Plumber !
Too bad that more people don't feel that way !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #92
bobs36

its kind of like the city where i live, over the past 40 years it has gotten bigger, and you know its good for everyone, but you still like the way it was when you were young. this site has much to offer and is good for the v8ers, and just people who would like a little more infor on there cars etc.
bobs36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #93
itslow

Wink Re: cameraderie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
I hate modern plumbing! Never mind the fact that it's easier to use, far more sanitary, and won't cause you to freeze your behind off in the winter. Life was so much better back in the days when we had to use outhouses and hand pumps.

That goes for electricity, too. Worst discovery ever! I hope it fails and we have to go back to oil lamps and camp fires.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #94
itslow

Quote:
frank at least your frank about what you post spoken like a true blue oval,,what gets me is that a lot of these guys were not regulars on the ol barn but have flocked to this one ,the question is why,if they liked the hamb so much why leave it,,i really like the bit about the duck tape lol
There are those of us who are(semi)regular posters on the HAMB but never posted on the old version of Ford Barn because we found the interface to be behind the times and have poor usability.

The HAMB and Ford Barn serve two different areas of interest. Some folks just happen to like both. They are NOT mutually exclusive, despite that it seems some people wish they were.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts
Old 06-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #95
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
I hate modern plumbing! Never mind the fact that it's easier to use, far more sanitary, and won't cause you to freeze your behind off in the winter. Life was so much better back in the days when we had to use outhouses and hand pumps.
Blame the demise of the outhouse on the discontinuation of catalogs by the likes of Sears Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, and J. C. Penney. Even with increased corn yields, there weren't enough corn cobs to make up the deficit.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #96
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
FORDBARNERS ..........................
There IS a difference in the new FORDBARN and the old. I believe that the new is more information based and the old was more about personal connection.
The old had more BLOG type information, which would be harder on this format. Now, there was good information exchanged, but, also, a lot of personal chit-chat, both good and bad.
Shelly has re-opened the CHEVYBARN and has a "non-Chevy" section. Some of the OLD FORDBARNERS are posting back on there, because they miss the personal connection.
Me, I'm surfing them both.
MIKE
Honestly, it's just as easy to make "personal connections" on this format as it would be on the old. People just have to take the time to read and use the appropriate reply-types when posting. It's just as easy to make a chit-chat thread here as it is on the old format, and it's just as easy to derail a thread with off-topic information there as it is here.

I'm on other forums for off-topic vehicles, and other interests, that use this same bulletin board format. In the 10+ years I've been on them, some pretty good friendships have been made. I've actually made cross-country trips because of it.

It all comes down to how much effort people are willing to put in to it. You can either whine and mope around, or put forth the effort to make contributions that make the Ford Barn a better place.

And, as a general FWIW, there were just as many smart-asses on the old format as there are here (or on the HAMB, percentage wise). It's not an influx of "people from the HAMB" that is the problem.

Wanted:
- ARDUN parts
Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #97
52merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by X38 View Post
Ah, but it is a non traditional street rod site as you described. In fact it's street rod in capital letters, so there ya go. And there are plenty more I'm sure.

Trev, the old site was a clunky piece of crap, that's why I never went there. And I don't believe you own the neighbourhood so if you want to bitch about all these new people "flocking here" , it's a xenophobia issue you're going to have to come to grips with. Do you want everyone to just go away and leave you and your chosen few to have the place to yourselves? Do you think you should be allowed vet every new member as to what other boards they were on before this one? Jesus, just let it go and let's stick to the cars.
no i dont own the neighourhood but was just making a comment on the hamb guys coming over & to frank the plumers post ,what strikes me is how you guys get so upset when someone dares to mention the hamb,talk about me having a hangup! thats the pot calling the kettle black ! have a nice day
Old 06-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #98
Frank The Plumber

So I have spent the last 2 days hunting about for a site that presents itself as well as Ryans, to be honest there are no sites that are as nice and easy to use. That being said and all know this, his sites attract a lot of different types of enthusiasts. We all know that money can do a lot towards motivation, no one does any thing for free and this guy has a good skill set here, I would say that a lot of dollar could be farmed by addressing the lack of a nice, clean well run site that serves the ot guys and the modified guys. You have to admit a lot of the cars that are ot are real nice rides and you wouldnt mind a bit looking at them on their own site. OT and modified cars would bring in a completely different vendor group as well so these sites would not be in conflict. This is not a knock or a slam at either site, they are both treasures in their own right, its just that sometimes if you want to keep the kids out of your park on your side of town you would be better off getting them a park on their own side of town rather than raising battle flags.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:18 AM   #99
X38

I guess what Ryan chooses to do is his business.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #100
Gastrick

Quote:
So I have spent the last 2 days hunting about for a site that presents itself as well as Ryans, to be honest there are no sites that are as nice and easy to use.
Frank, Did you find "Club Hot Rod" during your quest? The forums utilize the Vbulletin format and it is a nice place that caters to all types of rods. Link below. (erase if links not allowed)

http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/index.php
Old 06-16-2010, 02:48 PM   #101
Frank The Plumber

Thats not a bad site still not as clean as this guys stuff.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #102
Gastrick

Quote:
Thats not a bad site still not as clean as this guys stuff.
I agree. Ryan's sites are top notch.