Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
eystein

Default Paint and overspray on woodframe car

What do you guys do when painting a wood subframe car. My understanding is that the top side of the subframe should be sprayed lower body color. However the local paint shop is advising me that common single-stage urethane paints will dissolve whatever common wood preservative that I may use for the wood sills. How do you approach this ? Should the wood subframe really be painted body color, or should it be masked off during spray painting ?
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
dave in australia

Default Re: Paint and overspray on woodframe car

It is my understanding that urethane can be used as a wood preservative, usually clears on the exposed wood in ute (pick-up) trays, so I don't see colours being any different. I'm sure others will chime in if I'm incorrect.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

My thoughts are the same as Dave's.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I am not sure of the translation of the word "common" but if it is a catalyzed (two-part) wood preservative, then a catalyzed color coat will not affect it. We use a single-stage polyurethane to protect the wood but it is thin enought that it absorbs into the pores of the wood so the poly does not release when a colored 2k urethance is added. If you are still concerned, just fog a light coat of semi-gloss Black 2k urethane paint onto the wood to give the foundation for the top coat

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Terry, NJ

I Think we're making too much out of this. I, too am doing this same job and I had the same concerns at first. Let's return to those days a yore in the shops of Briggs and Murray and how they did it. The frame was assembled and the body was pulled over it like a sock. Then the whole thing was sprayed with pyroxylin (SP) laquer and what got covered, got covered and what didn't, didn't! In my Town Sedan, (Keuwanee and elkpoint ?) the body was entirely black inside, except the gas tank, and Two tone green outside. The surface of the wood that faced outside and the areas of the steel that the wood masked got no paint whatsoever. So here I am, 82 years later trying to think of a better way. As I made my wood pieces, I covered them with 2 coats of urethane and 1 coat of latex black (Rustoleum I think) house paint. I have cleaned the rust off the steel and either I hit it with an etching primer or a "Rust Converter". When I am finished with the wooden frame, I will spray the entire inside with a black paint for uniformity of appearance and move on.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote