Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #1
Tom Morookian

Default 2 post lifts

Planning for my new garage. Any recommendations for 2 post lifts would be appreciated.

I'll have a 10 foot wide bay with a 13 foot ceiling and would like a lift that goes up at least 72 inches so I can actually walk under a vehicle.

Floor will be 8" reinforce concrete under the lift area.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 2 post lifts

Hi Tom, my recommendation would be to go with a four post lift, at least that is my preference. If you can wait until after the "Barner's Bash", you'll get a chance to see the lift I have in the garage for comparison. Vic
Old 01-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #3
Tony, NY

If you want a good lift and made in USA (New York) look at the Mohawk lifts. They are expensive. I bought a used asymmetrical one from an installer. I like it. The hydraulic line can be run overhead, freeing up the floor from that speed bump. IMHO, 4 posts take up too much real estate, unless you have a huge garage.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Vic Piano

The four poster I have is portable, you don't have to secure it to the floor however, when we built our garage, we poured a slab that is 10" thick with 3500 psi fiberglass reinforced concrete, rebar and wire mesh as I wanted the flexibility and mobility to relocate the lift, as I plan to add another lift in the future.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
mfagan

I have both. Bought the four post first because I was
afraid of the two.

Today the four post is a storage unit and the two post is
the work horse of the shop. Buy the asymmetric unit, from an
American manufacturer.

Last edited by mfagan; 01-07-2014 at 09:29 AM.
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
jake197000

I would get a rotory 2 post.youll never wear it out.we have 4 post lift also.not very versatile. good kuck
jake197000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #7
prpmmp

I have a 2 post Bend Pac,Love it!! It will spoil you real fast,Can't believe I did without one for all those years.I,ll lift the car off the ground a couple inches sometimes so I don't have to bend over!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #8
GaryTx

Tom, I have a 2 post lift from Direct Lift. It works great for working on your vehicle. If you are more interested in storage go with the 4 post.
BTW. The overall width is 11'3" from outside of posts.
GaryTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #9
chiliman

I have 4 post Back yard Buddy U.S.A. made in Ohio check them out have a blessed day
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #10
B-O-B

Four post lift is best I think. I have a rotary 4 post lube rack. It has stairs & a cat walk with safety railings. I also don't think you need more than 6" of concrete especially with rebar or heavy wire in the mix. With the wheels on the ramps it gives you added room underneath. Only problem I've had was getting the engine lift underneath but I fixed that by cutting about 6" out of the upright.
The catwalk is good for storage things like fenders too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3807.jpg (45.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3805.jpg (21.1 KB, 96 views)
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
c334charlie

I love my four post. put tools on one ramp parts on other ramp. great for removing torque tube rear-end by my self support car let rear down on break drums and just roll it back. want to bring in a tractor or boat just roll lift out. the ramps will give you a project table at any height you need welding painting carpentry. can you tell I like mine .
c334charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #12
flatford8

I got a two post from Greg Smith Equip. Mines symmetrical on 4'' concrete floor that's the min. I know guys who have them on less. To risky for me. 10' width may be a problem for you. The guy who posted he has one of each, four post and two post....WINS.....I think each manufacturer has a web site where you can get accurate demensions and specs. Good luck...be careful. Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
mhsprecher

I am glad that everyone is in agreement on this question! ;-)
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

I agree that, if I was lucky enough to have EITHER I would love it!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #15
HCO41

I have a Rotary single post lift. It's my second one (moved) and both have performed flawlessly. It takes up very little space on the floor and has fairly open space accept in the middle. Have the '50 on it now and will be able to pull the transmission with plenty of clearance. Also good for exhaust install and wheel changes. This may not be an option because it needs to be set 7.5' below the floor.
It depends on whether you want the suspension hanging free or wheels on ramps. Many ramp types have sliding beam where a jack is placed in case wheel needs to be lifted.
This is another product I would only trust if American made. No matter what you end up with, you'll wonder how you ever got along without one.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #16
alan

I have worked with both, because of my space I have a drive on ramp system, which is great for me. One of the pluses for a 4 post is the car sits on the ramps, not on pads under the frame, etc. I have seen some damage occur to frames because of misplaced contact,you may not want your totally restored frame sitting on metal/rubber pads. If I ever have a bigger/taller garage I will have a 4 post.
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #17
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I have a 4 post ordered from Back Yard Buddy and should get it this month. I paid half and the balance when It is ready to bring home. I am driving to get it when they call. I will take the enclose car trailer to pick it up and install it when it a bit warmer like spring. I will leave it in the car trailer until then.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
chiliman

That's what I did take ya some flat rolling dollies when you pick up at A.B.F. they can push right in trailer strap it down and just rool it out when you get home you might check the ramps I had to swap ends but had plenty of room to do that in shop
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Conair007

I have a two post lift, the four post I had took up to much space and you couldn't work on wheel hubs and brakes. I've used my two post to lift things other that the car, ie mower to work on blades, to remove engines from cars etc. here's what I used it lastly for, I lifted the body from the frame, then I supported the body with 4x4. Can't do that with a four post. G-man
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 PM   #20
37fordpickup

Have you checked on the cost of concrete per cubic yard? I'm going to guess between $130 to $150 yard. I'm in the construction business and I would suggest a 4 inch slab with heavy wire mesh mats, 4000psi with air and no more than a 6 inch slump. The drier you place the concrete , the less likely you will have cracks. Here in East Tennessee we have been pouring very large slabs , 3000 psi with 1 1/2" aggregate. Tell the concrete supplier do not use fly ash with 4% air.
37fordpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 PM   #21
Uptown83

I have a 2 post lift, works perfect and make it where you can do a lot of things by yourself! its a Worth brand, made in USA.
Uptown83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Paul Dobbin

"Any recommendations for 2 post lifts would be appreciated"

After about 30 years in this hobby, sliding around on the floor under my cars on jack stands, a lift sounded good. My buddy got a 2 post lift which I could use as needed, but of course I had to go to his shop.
Then I built a new shop and started looking, like you are. My buddy would call every time he used his and said, "Get a 4 post lift that you can just drive on a lift the cars up.
Eight times to the floor is a minimum with a 2 post lift.
Step #1 Down at each corner to set the lifting bars = 4. Then go up 6 inches with the lift. Step #2 Down to the floor again at each corner to check
that lines are not being crushed and the contact is solid = 4 more.
Step #3 Lift the car or lower the lift and redo #2 & #1 = possibly 8-16 trips to the floor."
He then went on to say "it's easier with a floor jack and a creeper than all that rigmarole,
consequently he doesn't use the lift as much as he hoped. Get a four poster and don't park anything on it for storage so it's ready to drive even your wife's car on at anytime to find a rattle and you'll love the lift"
I now have a 4 poster and love it. With 7 cars a tractor and golf cart, I like just checking them out underneath in city cloths. Now with 42 years in this hobby, my bones appreciate standing up on concrete instead of rolling around on it on cardboard or a creeper.
Another friend has a 2 poster that is used more often as a variable level table than a car lift, which I can do too.
Paul Dobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:39 PM   #23
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morookian View Post
Planning for my new garage. Any recommendations for 2 post lifts would be appreciated.

I'll have a 10 foot wide bay with a 13 foot ceiling and would like a lift that goes up at least 72 inches so I can actually walk under a vehicle.

Floor will be 8" reinforce concrete under the lift area.
Tom, I would recommend the Rotary assymetrical style for one of the best. The long arm / short arm design makes opening doors very easy. I think if you are going to use it a lot the 2 post offers the most versatility as long as it is an overhead design. I like all of the comments trying to change to a 4 post unit. I have both a 2 and 4 post unit ( with a rolling air trolley jack on it ) and while each has their respected place in a shop , I much prefer working around the 2 post the most.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #24
B-O-B

Conair007 You posted:I lifted the body from the frame, then I supported the body with 4x4. Can't do that with a four post. G-man
I don't know why you couldn't just may take another more or two.
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #25
barnfind

37fordpickup has the right approach on the concrete for the slab. You may want to go a bit thicker underneath the post locations. Plan ahead and run any lines for air or water or electrical conduit in the slab. Don't forget water drains that may be handy.

A little pricey but this single post Atlas may be a good tradeoff to minimize space:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/At...Specialty-Lift

I'm looking at the portable version:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Ma...ngle-Post-Lift

I have an old scissors lift that worked ok for body work but not much else.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:57 PM   #26
blueblood

I would recommend at least a 14 foot wide area for any lift.13 foot ceiling will be ok.go to a goofy lube or dealership and take some measurements of a typical lift bay then see if you can shrink it any.4" slab is all you need the floor bolts are supposed to go thru the concrete.Forward or Rotary are the best Mohawk are expensive big and not worth the cost considering you can buy 2 rotarys for the price of 1 mohawk.4 post lift you need even more space to move around it. good luck
blueblood is offline   Reply With Quote