Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Tom Morookian

Default Wheel Vintiques- a BAD supplier

I know this is really for the "hot rodders" but there are some of those guys who regularly read the posts here.

Wheel Vintiques- a BAD supplier

So one of the "smoothies" I bought (Thru Summit Racing) turned out to be out of round and impossible to balance. Apparently the lug/hub holes are out of orientation to the rim of the wheel.

Summit racing was very nice about it and sold me a replacement wheel "at cost" and they paid the freight. GOOD GUYS. They gave me the Wheel Vintiques phone number to see how to return the wheel.

Called WV 11 times! Yes, 11 times and never got to talk to a real person. Just voicemail that says "leave a message and we'll call you back". NO RESPONSE. They never call back. I went to their website and left them an email. NO RESPONSE.

So, I'm out $80 bucks and just wanted to RANT!

I'm posting here and on every other car website I can find. I'll even send them a copy.

Be careful guys.
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
russcc

Default Re: Wheel Vintiques- a BAD supplier

Is that the wheel company that Coker Tire/Honest Charley's Speed Shop recently bought out ? Most anything made over there sucks.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
Steves46

Hi Tom. Sorry to hear the circumstances on the wheel and although it was good of Summit to send you another one at cost, why didn't they accept a return of the defective wheel? Was it already painted? Hopefully you will be able to resolve this most unsat situation with Wheels Vintique. Steve.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
chuck stevens

A close friend of mine bought a pair of wheels, vintique, that were so out or round he sent one back to be replaced, at his cost, and is tring to live with the other one. They were out both ways, too bad!
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Steves46

Chuck, were they purchased from Summit? In the near future I am planning on buying a pair of larger rear wheels for my 55 F100 but before I do, I will certainly be asking Summit what their return policy is.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Walt Dupont--Me.

I order stuff from all kinds of co. Once in a while some of the stuff in the package will be in a Vintique bag. I krings, nothing in a Vintique package as ever fit, it's the cheapest stuff I've ever seen. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Ford coupe

You purchased the wheels from summit i beleive they should have got you a return and you should not have to be bothered with the supplier..I applaud them for giving you a wheel at cost but theyshould have went after summit..
Ford coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
millersgarage

How many boards did you bad mouth these people on?

geezo, why dont you mention that you bought them in 2009 when you leave your rant?
millersgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
TJ

Summit should have sent you another wheel and then they should have dealt with Wheel Vintiques. The retailer should be the one to deal with the supplier, not the customer. If you bought direct from Wheel Vintiques then you would have the problem of dealing directly. I had a problem with a new steering wheel a couple of years ago. I contacted the seller as I was having trouble contacting the manufacturer. The seller had me send him the wheel and he sent me a new one. He said "I'll deal with the manufacturer". That's the way it should happen.
Walt, Vintique and Wheel Vintiques are two different companies with no relationship to each other.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #10
wga

Wheel Vintiques - I purchased (4) wheels for the '49 pictured on the left. Six months later I opend the boxes and discovered they were not the wheels I ordered. Wheel Vintiques made the swap, no problemo. And the ride improved over by worn out stock wheels. These guys were easy to work with. I agree with TJ, Summit should be the one dealing with Wheel Vintiques.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Chuck, were they purchased from Summit? In the near future I am planning on buying a pair of larger rear wheels for my 55 F100 but before I do, I will certainly be asking Summit what their return policy is.
I know I will get blasted on this post because I am refering to a company who has changed hands or may not even be in existance today. I sent Stockton Wheel my wheel centers from a 56 F-100 15" wheels to place inside a wider rim,mayby I sent the whole wheels.Anyway I got back an excellent set of wheels that were well within the 1/16" required tolerance. The guy who did the work was so proud he marked each wheel runout,.025-.040 etc. That is incredible to work with that big of diameter inserting a fixed diameter into another and welding. At this time no one else that I knew of provided a wheel that accepted the stock Ford hubcap 1940-1948 Ford Mercury or Ford pickups to 1956. Hard to believe that a new wheel made by a company that specializes in a wheel product cannot stay within the tolerance,must all be production with no quality control,sounds Chinese to me.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
Walt Dupont--Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
Summit should have sent you another wheel and then they should have dealt with Wheel Vintiques. The retailer should be the one to deal with the supplier, not the customer. If you bought direct from Wheel Vintiques then you would have the problem of dealing directly. I had a problem with a new steering wheel a couple of years ago. I contacted the seller as I was having trouble contacting the manufacturer. The seller had me send him the wheel and he sent me a new one. He said "I'll deal with the manufacturer". That's the way it should happen.
Walt, Vintique and Wheel Vintiques are two different companies with no relationship to each other.
Sorry TJ, I guess I didn't relize the differance. I guess I didn,t mean Wheel Vintique, I ment the first one. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
TJ

Walt, no problem.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Tom Morookian

So I got my new wheel from WheelVintiques through Summit racing. Took it to my tire guy who checked it out for balance and runout. All OK. Painted it and mounted the tire.

Then I tried putting on the baby moon hubcap. HUH, it's the same model number wheel, same 16" diameter, but now the center section where the hubcap mounts is 8" instead of 7.5" like the old wheel.

So now I get to buy a new 8" hubcap and I'll have 3 of one diameter and 1 of another.

Just wanted to RANT!
Tom Morookian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Vic Piano

Tom, sorry you are having problems with Wheel Vintique, I got the set on our '51 F-1 from Bob Drake (they were made by Wheel Vintique) but that was over ten years ago. I got 6" wide front and 8" wide rear wheels; they all have KH center hubs and were well made. Perhaps things have changed at Wheel Vintique over the years. Think you’ll be getting up around Tampa any time soon? If so, let us know, we’ll save a place at the Pizza table for ya.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #16
42guy

I also had 4 bad Vintique wheels that where purchased at the Rhinebeck, NY show from a dealer from PA. Couldn't balance and the run out was 0.010-0.015. Couldn't get any where with seller until I said I was calling Attorney General. Vintique called me and said they were shpping me 4 replacements and free return shipping. They called me after they examined wheels and said they were indeed bad. They said they were sorry for the troubles. This was about 6 years ago so maybe things have changed.
42guy is offline   Reply With Quote