Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #1
fordson

Post Sending Units for SW Water temp. and Fuel

Iam trying to sort out my additional gauges for my 34 Ford coupe. Iam converting to 12V.
Stewart Warner have not replied to my request and i cant get to catalogs or tables.

I have the following vintage NOS gauges (see j-peg`s)
1) SW temp gauge, 311W R10, 12VOLT
2) SW NOS Fuel Gauge: 301HP8, 12 VOLT, chrome bezel 2 1/4", case 2"

- they are without light bulb.

I would like to know what model number sending unit i need for the
1) SW temp gauge (dont know the Ohms) for a 59AB
flathead V8 sharp cylinder head ?

2) SW fuel gauge (dont know the Ohms) for my 34 stock
Ford fuel tank (which adapter kit ?)

I hope someone knows what i need to look for,
Regards Randolf

Last edited by fordson; 05-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Sending Units for SW Water temp. and Fuel

Not totally sure I understand what you are asking/wanting. If you are looking for an aftermarket sender, you need the ohm information. If you are talking about the original Ford sender, they don't work the same way, they are a points system that opens and closes the points to regulate current in the wire to the gauge.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Fordors

Randolf, I believe you need a Stewart-Warner 385-C sending unit which has a 6"-12" adjustable float and a right hand swing arm as viewed from the rear of the tank. If a left hand swing arm is needed then it's a 385-B. In addition you will need a 6 bolt Ford to 5 bolt SW sending unit adapter to mount the sender to the tank. I have seen them before but I seem to recall they might fit a later tank. Hopefully someone here will have knowledge of an available adapter. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-385cf
For your water temp sender the Stewart-Warner number is 82503, and for some flathead Fords you will be using the included 3/8 NPT adapter. Is your engine original? I'm not sure if a '34 had a pipe-tapped hole in a cylinder head for a sending unit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sww-82503

I only posted links to Summit Racing so you might see the items I mentioned.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #4
41ford1

This Stewart Warner temp sender can be had from Summit Racing: http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sww-280ea/none/images It may work for you.
You are going to need to experiment with the resistor values that make the fuel quantity gauge work. Looking at the information on the Summit site. 240 ohms empty, 33 ohms full seems to be the most common.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
Andy

Those gages look identical to what I just installed in my 32. I bought the sending units from speedway. All works great. I drilled the fuel sender flange with the Ford pattern. Made a new gasket and attached it. I am reasonably certain SW has used the same electrical resistances forever.
FYI, I am using a temp sender on each head and use a toggle to switch between senders. Later pumps will have sender bosses.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
morrisgauge

Both gauges operate in the standard SW 240-33 ohm range. Several suppliers offer sending units for them in a variety of configurations. The fuel sender kit will come in a standard 5 screw pattern for which you can purchase a Ford 6 screw pattern adapter from most Ford parts suppliers.

www.morrisgauge.com
morrisgauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #7
fordson

Post Re: Sending Units for SW Water temp. and Fuel

Thanks everybody for the information and recommendation. As always it is a bit more complex than i thought. I will run seperate temperature senders of each Sharp repro cylinder head to seperate temp gauges ( i have 2 identical temp gauges). I feel that is giving me a better temperature control of each engine side.

I was hoping to find the original matching numbers temperature and fuel senders for those particular gauges on e-bay (with the numbers FORDOR mentioned) and fit them to my heads and tank.
Otherwise i will just get the current available reproduction sending units from summitracing as mentioned by 41ford1.
Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
BillM

My post in this thread may be of help: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63331