Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
bart78

Default Body wood at auction

I'm at a auction. There are a lot of bundles of old body wood here. I'm guessing they are seperated by what car they are. This guy had a model a restoration shop. What would be a good price for these. Probably good for patterns.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
southfork

Default Re: Body wood at auction

Don't know about value, but if he has any for a Model A Deluxe Delivery, get them, cause I can use some wood patterns and Rowdy probably can too!
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 12:29 PM   #3
bart78

I got all of it. Have no idea what they are all for.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
bart78

Got all the wood loaded up. It was labeled a-400 deluxe pheaton and 30 Vicky. There was all so a set of deluxe pheaton front doors under the pile. And some new patch panels. Most stuff there went pretty cheap. Got some rebuilt starters for 30.00 and rebuilt generators for five bucks each. Got a bunch of seat frames for roadsters and phaeton. And that was all I could fit in the bed of my truck.
Old 03-08-2015, 06:52 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
Got all the wood loaded up. It was labeled a-400 deluxe pheaton and 30 Vicky. There was all so a set of deluxe pheaton front doors under the pile. And some new patch panels. Most stuff there went pretty cheap. Got some rebuilt starters for 30.00 and rebuilt generators for five bucks each. Got a bunch of seat frames for roadsters and phaeton. And that was all I could fit in the bed of my truck.
Good for you! With your 'wood background', see if you can duplicate the 190A wood. The 180A wood patterns out there are pretty good since a couple of us have patterns made from the factory prints. I will tell you the biggest issue with reverse engineering from existing wood is possible shrinkage over time that will affect measurements of the new wood fitting the sheetmetal. None the less, what you have will be good for patterns.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #6
ronn

Nice score Bart!
wish we all could be so lucky.....................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #7
bart78

It will be tough. There are some rough pieces. I paid 20 bucks for the lot. An got a set of deluxe phaeton doors out of the pile. And all the patch panels and some garnish molding. I wish I would have taken a trailer. And stayed to the end. My seven year old son came with me. And was really surprised at how long he lasted. Most stuff went pretty cheap. Perfect example of why to sell before you pass. If you are worried about what stuff goes for.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:23 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

That's the problem, when some stuff goes too cheap, it's the scrap dealer buying it, and it's gone forever. I was at an auction about 7 years ago where the scrap metal dealer was buying a lot of good parts just to be turned to scrap itron. I drove to his scrap yard two days later and bought all the parts I could fit into my Omni. I should have brought my trailer to save more good parts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Good for you! With your 'wood background', see if you can duplicate the 190A wood. The 180A wood patterns out there are pretty good since a couple of us have patterns made from the factory prints. I will tell you the biggest issue with reverse engineering from existing wood is possible shrinkage over time that will affect measurements of the new wood fitting the sheetmetal. None the less, what you have will be good for patterns.
If you make a donation to the Victoria association (become a member) they have most of the wood drawings. Between the actual piece in hand and the dimensions on the drawing you should be good to go.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #10
bart78

I don't have a Vicky. I would like one one day. I may never do anything with it. But someone may can use it some day.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Rowdy
BANNED

Jack, I may have some good news on the wood in May. Have made all I can find patterns for to this point. Have a promising lead, but will not have any details on it til then, so if nothing else pans out. Both people on the HAMB that said they have patterns etc have turned out to be deadbeats. Rod
Old 03-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #12
southfork

Well, if we hang in there, Rod, someday we'll get ahold of all the patterns we need!
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote