Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2015, 09:29 PM   #1
Afordman31

Default Hooking up battery charger on Model A

My Dad asked me tonite how I hook up a battery charger on my Model A with 6 volt positive ground. I said like any battery, red to positive post and black to the negative. He asked if the battery was out of the car what then, I said red to positive post and black to the negative post.
He said on his Model T's he hooks up the red lead to negative post and black to the positive post.
Are we both doing it right? Afordman31
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 09:46 PM   #2
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Hooking up battery charger on Model A

If that works for your friend, then he has his battery CHARGED UP, BASS-ACKWARDS.
Bill W.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
eagle

No, he is not doing it correctly. ALWAYS hook red up to positive, black to negative. A model A is positive ground, a model T is negative ground. (If stock) However, if you are looking at the battery itself, it doesn't matter what is ground. If you leave the charger on backwards long enough, and it doesn't burn out, you can charge a battery backwards. Not good!
Old 07-15-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

If the battery is in the car it's much easier to connect the charger to the starter switch and a good ground. It's also safer to do connections and disconnects away from the battery posts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
H. L. Chauvin

Per Tom's good advice in Reply #4 ..... (i.e., always try to hook up cables, away from the battery) ..... I saw a guy removing battery charger cables from a large truck where the top of the battery was up high at his chin level with all battery acid caps screwed on.

A spark from his charger cable ignited the battery gas, the battery exploded, blew the entire top off of the battery, and acid went all over his face & head & down his neck.

Luckily, there was a water hose and hose bibb within 6 feet where I was able to immediately rinse off his face, head & neck ....... poor soul was unharmed because of having water nearby to rinse off the acid.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-15-2015 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
johnbuckley

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Someplaces I've read that one should disconnect the battery before charging it in-situ. (I have never followed this advice!) Can any one tell me the rationale for this generally ignored reccommendation; so long as all switches are "off" the battery is in-effect already isolated
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:09 AM   #7
marc hildebrant

Besides the good advice given, I keep the charger itself away from the car. Just the wires coming from the charger connect to the battery.

I.E. do not put the charger on the running boards.

Battery Chargers should not have the chassis connected to the output power. The correct design is for the AC ground (third wire) to be connected to the chassis. However, it is sometimes made where the negative output also is connected to the chassis. Thus, I always have the charger not touching any part of the car.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
takomaned

Send a message via Yahoo to takomaned

If you're unable to see the + - markings on the battery, the positive post will be slightly larger in diameter than the neg. post
Old 07-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
rscardina

I've always disconnected my battery when charging it. Now that I have a battery disconnect switch on my ground lead (positive) I just turn the switch before charging it.
rscardina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #10
Patrick L.

If connecting charger to the starter stud then that stud gets the negative cable and the positive cable goes to a good ground.
Thats the easiest way on an 'A'.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Per Tom's good advice in Reply #4 ..... (i.e., always try to hook up cables, away from the battery) ..... I saw a guy removing battery charger cables from a large truck where the top of the battery was up high at his chin level with all battery acid caps screwed on.

A spark from his charger cable ignited the battery gas, the battery exploded, blew the entire top off of the battery, and acid went all over his face & head & down his neck.

Luckily, there was a water hose and hose bibb within 6 feet where I was able to immediately rinse off his face, head & neck ....... poor soul was unharmed because of having water nearby to rinse off the acid.
I had exactly the same experience, truck, battery, blast in the face etc. luckily I wear glasses.
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Always be SURE the screw on caps' vent hole is punched out properly, 2 of mine WEREN'T!!! (boom!)
Bill W.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
roccaas

Buy the Schumacher unit that auto corrects polarity.

Even a cave man can do it.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by takomaned View Post
If you're unable to see the + - markings on the battery, the positive post will be slightly larger in diameter than the neg. post
A lot of batteries are poorly marked. I bought a white out pen at the dollar store and use that to paint the + and - marks white. The white out pen is actually like a ball point pen with white paint, so be sure to shake it well before using it. The paint dries in seconds.

I use the white out pen to mark a lot of things which are poorly marked. I marked the electric fuel pump IN and OUT and the + and - terminals on my friend's fuel pump the other day.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #15
George Miller

I also had a blast in the face from a car battery, it was not fun. Lucky I was with in two feet of a water faucet. Do not make sparks around a battery
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:27 PM   #16
700rpm

I connect at the starter and a head bolt, and loosen the caps on the battery. That was the way I was taught in 1962 when I was 17 and worked at a Shell garage.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
modelAtony

I always charge battery in car under the hood . I cut a piece of water hose about 3" long and split one side with a knife and wrap it around starter rod, this will keep you from getting SPARKS if you bump it with hot cable. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #18
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
... I cut a piece of water hose about 3" long and split one side with a knife and wrap it around starter rod, this will keep you from getting SPARKS if you bump it with hot cable. ...
What an excellent idea- another of "why on earth didn't I think of that" moments!
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
Ted Duke

I got off an interstate exit one afternoon and just as I passed a car with the hood up the man shorted the battery with a wrench. It exploded in his face and his lady friend screamed. I stopped and forced him to his knees at a water puddle (it had just stopped raining) and splashed water in his face. Fortunately, he knew what I was doing. The lady was screaming, but afterwards wanted to hug me. He was okay, I told him to go to the 7-11 a block away and buy water and rinse down some more.
I always carry some water in the car and also a piece of rope and a blanket, but those are another story!

Ted
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 04:19 PM   #20
catsailr

I was going to hook my charger up today. I hooked the negative wire from the charger to the post on the starter. It sparked and blew the fuse. The charger was not turned on or plugged up.
catsailr is offline   Reply With Quote