Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #1
iverson

Default I tried corn head grease!

after reading all the posts about corn head grease I finnaly picked up a tube and filled the steering gear, same thread on grease gun took out a cover bolt and pumped until new grease came out hopefully this will stay in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2104.jpg (76.5 KB, 311 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: I tried corn head grease!

Keep us posted on your results!
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Jeff/Illinois

It worked real well for me, saw a very big improvement and haven't leaked anything out of the steering box since. Noticed the better steering right away.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #4
WHN

Try it in u joint to. If u joint has not been services in a long time, could take a lot of Cornhead grease.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #5
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
Try it in u joint to. If u joint has not been services in a long time, could take a lot of Cornhead grease.
That if you have the "ring version" U-joint. If yours the later version Dana-Spicer "yoke & cross" style, then enough grease to coat the parts is fine. (These use torrington needle bearings cartridges with seal.)

Note that the same version U-joint is used on modern cars without a spherical cover and frequently without even a coat of paint.

Joe K
Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Railcarmover
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cg...oard&th=907455

Seems the farm tractor guys dont think much of it,but what do they know
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
denniskliesen

Look at how old that thread is. Who knows what condition those gear boxes were in before the corn head grease got pumped in. My thought is if it leaks what is supposed to be in there, fix it. Otherwise the cornhead grease is a patch.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
... My thought is if it leaks what is supposed to be in there, fix it. Otherwise the cornhead grease is a patch.
Mine was leaking out the end of the steering box by the light switch. I recently installed a new Steering Housing End Plate that has a tube welded to it "that goes up above the oil level to prevent oil leaking". It works great, no more leak, even with 600W in the box.

Should be easy to fab one yourself.

Easier to buy one. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/st...sing-end-plate
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
KGBnut

I just replaced my Universal Joint (because of poor lubrication...my fault completely). After doing a lot of research I used Corn Head Grease. My only complaint is that with so little farm land left in my area no one local carries it. I had to order it on-line and paid more for shipping than the grease. Still it was worth it.

I just wish that Bratton's, or Snyder's, or one of them would carry it.

I hadn't thought of it for a leaky steering box, but it sure seems reasonable to me.

Ken
Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 AM   #10
Jason in TX

I agree with lubing all the tie rod and steering balls on the front end. That helps so much in turning if all those moving parts are slick and nice.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:56 AM   #11
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Look at how old that thread is. Who knows what condition those gear boxes were in before the corn head grease got pumped in. My thought is if it leaks what is supposed to be in there, fix it. Otherwise the cornhead grease is a patch.
Bear in mind that "what is supposed to be in there" is based on 80+ year old lubrication technology and it's not a stretch by any means that something available today could be far and away better than what was available then IMO. Point being that just because something was the recommendation of the day 80 years ago, does not automatically mean it's the best product available today.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
denniskliesen

Good point Licensed. After all, who would run non detergent oil in there engine - not me. Sorry didn't mean to change the subject...
Old 07-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #13
Tom F OHIO

So you can grease the steering box instead of putting in 600w oil. Is there a zerk??
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
iverson

we put 50 miles on yesterday so far no leaks. I think what I will do is put a few squrits of corn head grease in the steering gear every time I grease the car there is no draw back to over greasing that I can see it will just go up the column. maybe for 4 bucks a tube it would be best to grease everything with corn head grease?
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:07 PM   #15
Jason in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom F OHIO View Post
So you can grease the steering box instead of putting in 600w oil. Is there a zerk??
No zerk because it was built to hold oil, not grease. People just shoot grease in the box through the oil fill hole.

People say grease gets pushed out of the binding surfaces in a steering box and doesn't flow back inbetween the metal, so people don't use normal wheel bearing grease. The steering box doesn't get hot like the wheel bearings.

Supposedly cornhead grease still flows because it is a semi liquid grease.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by iverson View Post
we put 50 miles on yesterday so far no leaks. I think what I will do is put a few squrits of corn head grease in the steering gear every time I grease the car there is no draw back to over greasing that I can see it will just go up the column.
Yeh, Just pump it in there until it comes out the horn button...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
Dutie

This stuff works so good I put it on my hot wieners. After lots of research Ive learned that John Deere Had this grease specially formulated for leaky gearboxes on their farm equipment. Ive watched a video of this stuff in a large gearbox in action with the top of the gearbox removed so you could witness it. will not push off, separate, and is self leveling. Stopped my gear box leak completely. I have used STP full shot and it leaked real slow and is a PITA to clean off. picked mine up at a local John Deere dealer close by for $ 2.50 What a surprise, bought 3 tubes... you never know.
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #18
Step-down

Must be fun steering in the cold weather ,as it is with 600w in the transmission ...Talk about double clutching in the winter ��
Old 07-20-2017, 12:35 AM   #19
denniskliesen

I wish I could find it for $2.50 a tube. Good stuff I'll have to admit. I had experience with it beginning back in 74 on forage harvestors. We took the stalk cutter assembly apart and drilled and tapped for grease fittings. replaced the seals so they wouldn't blow when we pumped grease in. Pumped corn head grease in them 4 times a day, and never lost another cutter assembly after that. If you saw how fast that knife on them rotated back and forth it would make a believer out of you the grease was some pretty good stuff. Sorry to get off Model A steering boxes.

Now my early 29 steering box a 7 tooth has original fittings on it and I've seen others the same way. What did they have on them originally? The original fittings don't have balls and springs on them to keep the grease from squirting back out. But there should be a vent on the top? Yes...no?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 AM   #20
Marshall V. Daut

The original "zerk" fittings in seven-tooth boxes were not intended for chassis grease. Ford dealerships had a pump that dispensed the 600w style lube into the steering box under pressure. Unfortunately, later owners and uninformed restorers thought the zerk fitting was for pumping in chassis grease - which they did, ruining the sector teeth after a short time because the chassis grease was squeezed out from between the teeth and the worm gear = no lube. Look at any used sector gear's teeth and you'll see wear gouges on their faces from lack of lubrication.
The zerk fitting in the sector housing, however, could be used for greasing the sector shaft, although the 600w (or Ford equivalent in "the Day") should have been able to work its way through the sector bushing grooves to coat the shaft. A little chassis grease pumped in here ONLY couldn't hurt, though. Just don't pump it into the gear box itself or you'll be joining the Hard Steering/Worn Sector Teeth Club in short order.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote