Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
Bill Stipe

Default Re: MG shocks on model As

Terry I just read your post on Watts, it is so sad that all the history will be lost. I love the steam age and the industrial revolution. It is unreal the size of the parts that were machined and the capablitys they had so early. Mechanicly I don't believe we have improved all the much from the early 1900's we just reinvented the things and used better materials and hi tech equipment now that electronics has taken over.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:41 PM   #22
Bill Stipe

Brent,
Just what you have said in your post that the quality part makes your job easier and more cost effective by reducing your time to rework that part to make it useable. So the difference in cost of a bad part verses a good quality part easily washes out because of all the extra labor.
My oldest son Tony wants to keep the sheet metal department going and would like me to make more dies to stamp out other Model A panels because of the poor quality that is out there. I will see where I am financially once this machine is gone. I will have to research quality and supply and demand of all the panels out there to see if there is a great need for any particular panel.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #23
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Red Rocket View Post
Brent,
Just what you have said in your post that the quality part makes your job easier and more cost effective by reducing your time to rework that part to make it useable. So the difference in cost of a bad part verses a good quality part easily washes out because of all the extra labor.
My oldest son Tony wants to keep the sheet metal department going and would like me to make more dies to stamp out other Model A panels because of the poor quality that is out there. I will see where I am financially once this machine is gone. I will have to research quality and supply and demand of all the panels out there to see if there is a great need for any particular panel.
If this helps the sheet metal business any, my 17 year old son is working on an A with rotted cowl bottoms. He bought the panels from Bill and they have the "dual" bend that is they are not flat with a bead. They fit like a dream with NO additional tweeking needed. Looked great, worked great!
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
hop up

I have a set of rnos shocks for a 30-31 that were made in the 1970's as I was told. What happened to this supplier and who was it. I don't understand why use a MG shock when Model a shocks are plentiful in good usable condition
Old 11-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop up View Post
I have a set of rnos shocks for a 30-31 that were made in the 1970's as I was told. What happened to this supplier and who was it. I don't understand why use a MG shock when Model a shocks are plentiful in good usable condition
I am not sure what rnos shocks are but one can assume that maybe you are implying they are NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) ...which really would not "replacement stock" but more like 'reproduction'. Since I am at a disadvantage by not being able to identify your shocks, one can only assume they are similar to the cheap reproduction shocks sold by many of the major parts vendors. Experience by myself and many others have shown that using them has proven they are very poorly constructed and generally become ineffective (--or locked-up) after a short time of usage. Therefore they fit into my category of poor quality reporduction parts.

The 2nd parts of your statement which may be true for you however I have not found the case for me is the comment regarding " ...shocks are plentiful in good usable condition." I have the specialty tools necessary to disassemble shocks, and most shocks I have found are worn to a condition where it is not cost effective to restore them internally back to a condition where they perform as they were originally intended. Yes, I agree there are Rebuilders out there who claim they can refurbish a shock however when you compare theirs to the action of an unused NOS or newly manufactured Stipe shock, you realize they come up short in matching performance. Again, this is another one of those things where first-hand experiences are necessary to make an unbiased comparison. With regard to why I used the MG shocks, ...the Stipe shock was unavailable at that time and I was looking for a performance level above worn original shocks that had been "rebuilt".

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #26
azmodela
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29 Red Rocket View Post
I have a lot on my plate right now working 12 to 14 hours trying to finish jobs before January 6 2012 that can only be run on this machine and once gone some these parts will never be made again.
Are the shocks officially done now? Do you have any in stock? What's the price on them currently?
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
SGT in Ont.

Bill, I've been trying to convince people to buy your shocks as well. Unfortunately the mindset is the cheaper the better. Then I look the same people in the eye and ask if they went cheap when they had their Lincoln serviced at the dealership. No they would say, then why would you go cheap on any car you would drive. Safe is safe no matter the price. Thanks Bill for the work you have done in providing quality parts.
SGT in Ont. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
hop up

I will post a picture and the shocks and they were made in the USA in your neck of the woods. I agree with the import shocks are junk and have tried to use them on my 32 when I couldn't find a real set. I find a good share of Model A shocks in very good condition but I need 32's . Have you tried to hard chrome the wore parts in your shocks and grind (surface/centerless) them back into original specs. We did a set of 32's that way and tightened up the clearances a bit. They have been working great for over 10 years now. Sorry I might be a hotrodder but don't like to use import repo crap and pay a bit more to use a real FORD. I am in the manufacturing business and import stuff get me all worked up , very sorry to hear about stipe we are going thru the same crap now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
I am not sure what rnos shocks are but one can assume that maybe you are implying they are NORS (New Old Replacement Stock) ...which really would not "replacement stock" but more like 'reproduction'. Since I am at a disadvantage by not being able to identify your shocks, one can only assume they are similar to the cheap reproduction shocks sold by many of the major parts vendors. Experience by myself and many others have shown that using them has proven they are very poorly constructed and generally become ineffective (--or locked-up) after a short time of usage. Therefore they fit into my category of poor quality reporduction parts.

The 2nd parts of your statement which may be true for you however I have not found the case for me is the comment regarding " ...shocks are plentiful in good usable condition." I have the specialty tools necessary to disassemble shocks, and most shocks I have found are worn to a condition where it is not cost effective to restore them internally back to a condition where they perform as they were originally intended. Yes, I agree there are Rebuilders out there who claim they can refurbish a shock however when you compare theirs to the action of an unused NOS or newly manufactured Stipe shock, you realize they come up short in matching performance. Again, this is another one of those things where first-hand experiences are necessary to make an unbiased comparison. With regard to why I used the MG shocks, ...the Stipe shock was unavailable at that time and I was looking for a performance level above worn original shocks that had been "rebuilt".
Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop up View Post
I will post a picture and the shocks and they were made in the USA in your neck of the woods.
Yeah, I would like to see them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #30
hop up

A few pictures of the shocks thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125 001.jpg (53.3 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 1125 003.jpg (56.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 1125 002.jpg (69.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
Fordors

The fact that they say Chicago,IL tells me that they were manufactured by Pete Buciak; I think he advertised as "Shocks by Pete". Original Houdaille's came from New York didn't they?
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #32
hardtimes

Bill,
We are PROUD OF YOU and your efforts/products...MADE IN AMERICA!
I have bought and used your made equipment in my model A/B endeavors. In my opinion, NOTHING I've ever seen made for this use .. even comes close to your craftsmanship and quality!
Being in very similar circumstances , at this time, as you are in with your parents...I'm saying a prayer for your family health/welfare.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #33
Brian SATX

The pat number on those shocks was issued in 1971 or 1972.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:31 PM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
The fact that they say Chicago,IL tells me that they were manufactured by Pete Buciak; I think he advertised as "Shocks by Pete". Original Houdaille's came from New York didn't they?
I was under the impression these weren't all that great as they really were not adjustable as were the originals and when Pete passed away, that was kind of the end of them. While I never personally owned a set, I knew several folks that did and my feedback on them was only hearsay from their experiences but I would like to have one to look at the internals someday just to see what is there. For those who have never experienced the ability to adjust a shock absorber, it is almost like having the ability to adjust the ignition timing to the manner in which you want to drive.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com