Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
FritzJr

Default Re: Slingshot vs. Tattersfield

Hot Rod Magazine did a test on a number of different manifolds a few years ago. They showed the Slingshot to give better performance than the Thickstun PM-7 / Tattersfield. (Your mileage may vary.)
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Talking Re: Slingshot vs. Tattersfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzJr View Post
Hot Rod Magazine did a test on a number of different manifolds a few years ago. They showed the Slingshot to give better performance than the Thickstun PM-7 / Tattersfield. (Your mileage may vary.)

Oh boy these intakes will effect mileage/economy? I thought if the engine is faster that means you get where your going sooner thus needing less gas since your running the engine less overall.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #3
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Oh boy these intakes will effect mileage/economy? I thought if the engine is faster that means you get where your going sooner thus needing less gas since your running the engine less overall.
Ronnieroadster
Haha. Well, let me tell ya. If my math is correct, my fully worked over 292 ci (built by some dude in CT) running two 97's with my lead foot behind the controls is netting me about 4-5 mpg. LOL!

Last run on the highway I was doing 85 mph, I swear I saw the gas gauge drop during that 4 mile stretch from exit to exit. Started at 1/2 tank, came home with a 1/4 tank on a 8 mile loop with a 10 gallon tank. It's a stock Model A gas gauge so I can't vouch for the accuracy of it.

That said, I wouldn't change a thing...

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-07-2022 at 03:24 PM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 12:13 AM   #4
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Wow, a lot of interest in this topic. I found the Hot Rod Magazine article rating the Slingshot well above the Thickstun PM-7 / Tattersfield.

There's a lot of outstanding information on this thread.

Moving very slow on building my ride (1941 Ford Special Business Coupe trying on a lot of different ideas for size. After reading all of the replies and the HR magazine article, sounds like a Slingshot is the ticket.

Looking at used intakes and Stromberg 97s but also looking at brand new. Money's not the issue. Driveability and cool are both important. Seems like the old manifolds will work just fine but sometimes rebuilding an old Stromberg can be a crap shoot. My performance goal is solid, snappy low end, off-idle, performance from stoplights to cruising speed of 35-45 mph.

Hard to tell if a Slingshot with dual 97s is going to make any difference in the performance of my stock '41 221 cid flatty. So long as it doesn't make it worse, I might go for it just for the cool.

Current intake is stock and current carb is a leaky, stinky self-rebuilt Holley 94 that dribbles gas on my intake. Looks like the gas is coming through the idle adjust screws. Also have an annoying off-idle stumble. Even a single new out-of-the-box Stromberg 97 sounds good while I make up my mind about a 2x2 setup.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
That's a great reference. For anyone else who's interested, here's the link.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote