Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default The Restorer needs to fact check its articles!!!

So the article about the improving the improvement of using modern points needs some references and fact checking.

Original point contact brass or phospher bronze? Really??? How come all the Ford script new and well use points all have quality tungston on them? What about the pile of perfectly good used Standard ignition points I have in a jar with tungsten points?
Now the gyp points I have are some kind of silver grey color. They are obviously not a quality metal as they have oxidized.

Point float at 45 MPH with original points?? Let us see the data. That would mean a lot of A's are violating some rules running 65 MPH with original points.

What about that plate which is a just a stamped piece, how well does keep the points the center of the dist? Those V8 points are not always well aligned and need to be fixed. That orginals were fully adjustable in position. I measured a NOS plate on a slightly worn dist housing and know I have a couple of thou of play in the operational position. I have heard that the stamped unit for the V8 points is not that accurate. I have not actually measured one myself.

Then there is the idea that the new condensors are better. Sorry, not so much anymore. Go read in the mustang forums where they have problems with new Motorcraft units cause they are low bid china parts. We know that the burnout proof units from A&L just keep on working. I think anyone would be smart to run with that unit because of the low bid problem with the new V8 units. I should add I work as an electronics engineer and have replaced my fair share of bad caps. It does not cost a lot more to get a much higher rated capacitor that will last for a very long time. The unit on my brothers cars has been in operation for decades by now.

I realize it is difficult to get people writting, but they should not be letting anything go. Fact checked with references, not some guy shooting from the hip. Plus really how does this help with the basic function of the club?

I am pretty sure it is about preservation of the original car.

Why do we keep getting just wrong information about original parts and poorly written articles about things that do not actually improve the car. In fact, I probably could prove these parts reduce the reliablity of the car of I cared enough to buy the parts and compare.

I think it important that these articles need to be tempered by the fact there are likely thousands of cars out there running all original parts with no problems for decades. By reading the article you might come away thinking the points are a big problem for the cars. In reality is they are close to set and forget if you do them right (well yes you need to adjust time from time to time).

Some notes on the pictures. The first 3 are of the plate I put on my dist. It is a NOS Ford upper plate with NOS Ford script points. Kind of hard to see the tungsten in the pictures. What you need to notice is the hole in the middle of the plate. That hole is ground round for accuracy in location of the points and to ensure a flat surface. The "improved" upper plate is just stamped and the hole is not as accurately formed. Since it is not a good surface it will wear fast in service causing more variablity in the gap on the points as the plate moves. A great improvement!
The old dist is from my brothers car. That is the plate assembled by a 15 year old back in 1970 or so. Those are the same points that came with the car. It was too hard to see the manufacturer, but we could make out a circle on them. Yes, it is due for some lube. Well the car is kind of due for a proper restoration, but it still runs 60 MPH with no complants. Best hold on tight if he hits the brakes too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2110177.jpg (71.4 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg P2110174.jpg (74.9 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1095.jpg (72.4 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1096.jpg (69.9 KB, 201 views)
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote