Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #1
Thriftmaster

Default V8-60 questions

Hello everyone, I have been lurking around here for several years enjoying this sight and now I need some advice and some added information. I am quite knowledgeable with the traditional flathead V8's from 39-53 both stock and worked over, however I am a beginner when it comes to the V8-60.
I have the opportunity to acquire a 1937 tin sided V8-60 engine that was completely rebuilt top to bottom along with dress up goodies back in 1956 and run a few times for one year and then drained and moth balled in a wooden crate in the corner of a heated shop since 1957.
The engine is in excellent shape and the only parts missing are the dip stick, the starter and there is no generator mount. I know some of you are going to ask why no gen mount so let me explain. As I stated the engine was dressed up so it sports finned heads and a 2x2 intake with no gen mounting
I know these engines are no where near the power of it's big brother but how reliable are they to run around town in if I build a speedster style chasse for it? Are parts available for them? Also it appears that the V8-60 take a smaller starter so where can I find a starter, a dip stick and either a bolt on top mount or side mount generator bracket. Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
beerayb

Default Re: V8-60 questions

You can use a Ford 8N starter. Dip sticks are the same as 34 ford, or so I have been told. If running a dual carb setup you can build an offset mount for the generator. Ray
beerayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #3
Thriftmaster

Thank you for the reply I greatly appreciate it.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
jimTN

2n.9n,8n and 41 trk 4cyl starters will work.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote