Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
40Ford!!

Default 35 Flathead not starting

Ok, her is my problem, my 35 flatty will not start. I just had my carb rebuilt, replaced the fuel pump, spark plugs and it will not pull fuel from tank. I used an air hose and blew air through the fuel line (took it off at fuel pump) and pushed air through line. I could hear bubbles in the tank so I believe there is nothing blocking the line from the fuel tank. I then blew some air fuel tank and did not move any fuel into the sediments glass. I then removed the fuel line at the carb and I used a syringe and injected some fuel directly into carb to fill the float bowl. Tried starting it again and zippo! No go. It did sputter a little but would not fire up. What do I need to do to get this thing to pull fuel? I don't know what else to do. I will welcome your suggestions.
40Ford!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
FLA48

Default Re: 35 Flathead not starting

Did you check the flexible fuel line leading up to the fuel pump? It may be clogged just enough for the fuel pump not to be able to overcome the restriction. Next, disconnect the fuel line at the carb, turn the engine over with the starter and see if fuel is reaching the carb. This is assuming the engine fired when you filled the bowl.
FLA48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Andy

That flex line at the pump can look great but can leak air into the line. The air will prevent the pump from working. Run a line from a gas can to the pump and try it. You can also put you finger over the pump inlet and check for vac when cranking the engine to check the pump.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
FL&WVMIKE

40ford!! ............................
My guess is that it is your fuel pump.
Check your gaskets in your fuel pump. If they are not sealing and are leaking, it will not pump gasoline. It will just pump air.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Brendan

try pouring some fuel in the carb and see what happens, I had to do that a couple of times

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Air leak some where in the pump or line.You stated "changed pump" no mention of a new China made one, a rebuilt ,or just another used pump??? You can check a pump off the car by working the lever and feeling suction with your thumb and output the same way before you even install it. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

You shot a carb bowl full of feul ,so it should have started . I would be looking at cleaning the points .Checking the spark ,it should jump of the plug wire a .1/4 "

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
40Ford!!

Thanks for e suggestions everyone. Sounds like the consensus is a fuel pump related problem. The new fuel pump came from Joe's Antiques so I assume it of good quality? Anyway, I got to thinking about how things went together. i remember when I replaced the fuel pump stand gasket i noticed there is a ridge on the intake and the reverse ridge on the bottom of the stand. i assume so the to halves will marry tight when placing the gasket back on and toghtening? Well, I remember when I placed the new gasket on it did NOT seat around the ridge but rather ON TOP OF the ridge. When I set the stand back on I could tell it was wobbling a little but I assumed this was normal and would go away once I tightened it all up. So maybe the gasket it sitting wrong because it needs to be trimmed so it is a bit larger to go around the ridge? That would explain the possibility of air leaking in somewhere. Am I on to something?
40Ford!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #9
George/Maine

If you take a shotglass of gas into carb and does,nt start you have ign problems.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote