Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Peter J

Default Missing #1

Hey guys, I might as well unload this one. 2nd time I've pulled the head and valve cover looking for a miss on #1 cylinder. Good spark, fair compression (55lbs.). The 1st time I pulled the head, this particular valve was stuck open. My thoughts are a worn valve guide on intake side since It seems to be pumping oil up also. Also looks like carbon buildup around the seat. I'm getting a regular "tick" at all speeds also but thats probably another issue. Got some white sludge in the valve chamber and on the bottome of the dipstick but that's probably another issue also.

Back to my question. Am I on the right track to go after that valve guide and seat rather than getting hyper and tearing into it any further?
Thanks in advance
Pete

Last edited by Peter J; 10-25-2010 at 09:11 AM. Reason: additional info.
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
ford1

Default Re: Missing #1

one problem at a time, white stuff in the valve chamber and on the dipstick is caused by water, in the valve chamber may be caused by a draft tube plugged, but the stuff i the pan im afraid is caused by a water leak some where in the engine, maybe head gasket? carbon around the seat is caused by oil being burn, aa stuck valve will cause oil to be sucked into the engine and burnt, if the valve is sticking im not sure its the guide causing that a worn guide usually doesnt cause a valve to stick open, oil comsumpion yes, i would check the valve to see if its warped or ben or has a lot of carbon on the stem, definately check or change both while your there
ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

With good compression like you have I suspect the valve is not the problem. I would check the manifold gaskets, do so by spraying some WD40 or ??? top and bottom of the manifold at the block.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Sounds like a worn guide causing the carbon build up under the valve head, and possibly a head gasket or crack causing the water in the oil. With the unknown ticking and winter comming on, it might be a good time to pull the engine and replace the guides, check the valves, check all the bearings, etc. If the outer edge of the piston tops are clean, but there is carbon buildup on the rest, that would indicate oil getting past the rings.
can't advise on piston or ring replacement without knowing more about the engine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Flathead

Be sure the valve spring is good and the retainer is in place.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Peter J

Thanks guys. I ground off the carbon around the valve seat and found zero clearance at the lifter. As a matter of fact, it was bottoming out on the lifter!! I must have got the original compression reading wrong, duhh. Anyhoo, looking at the condition of the cylinder walls (a little scored), the water in the sump, I guess I'll look at the bearings and make a decesion about a rebuild this winter.
Thanks Again !!
Pete
Peter J is offline   Reply With Quote