Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
P.S.

Default How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

Wife comes up with some interesting questions now and then.

We're staying in a cabin that has satellite TV. Have had the TV glued to the "Velocity Channel" almost the whole time, just mesmerized by the auctions and some of the silly, low budget classic car collector shows.

So, the questions comes up, "How come car snobs (her terminology for the car collectors) hate Model As??" I don't have an answer. I know Model As aren't particularly collectible due to large numbers of them still around, and what not. But, even Jay Leno has a Model T but sorta bags on Model As in one of his videos. I'm at a loss. What do I tell her? Why do the car snobs turn their noses up at stock (non rodded) Model As?

I thought Model As were ideal because they are like classic cars you can actually drive all the time without feeling guilty. Not rare or impossible to repair, etc.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
JBill

Default Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

You're wife's got it right: They're snobs. Model As are just too "common" for the one percenters.
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
griffincat

Good question. It is really hard to say, but it oculd be partially because of their value? They are really very reasonably priced, and maybe there are not enough bragging rights attached to owning a nice model A. Not liking saying you have a cuda with a hemi. There is a lot of history and these are great vehicles. I never thought much of A's but now this past month I bought two of them and am hooked. I love the fact that an average working man can afford to buy them and have fun as a family with them.
griffincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
griffincat

As far as them being too common, maybe but I see way more chevelles, mustangs, etc. than I do A's. They look awesome restored to original condition and make some sweet hot rods, which should make them appeal to a wide range of people. It does seem however that if you have a 31 hot rod coupe, it will never be as good as a 32 in the minds of many.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Roadster62

Paul, Please let us know what type of cars your "Snob" friends have, my guess is they are late model people Mustang Camero etc. Bob
Old 09-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

They are very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one and they are not a status symbol. They are cute liitle cars with possibly a million or so still in existance ! Even though I own many antique cars and 6 Model A's I still realize people don't respect them. I heard a comment at a car show to the affect that anyone can afford a Model A!
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Flathead

Who cares what other people think.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Roadster62

Figures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulShinn View Post
We don't have any car snob friends. We have very few friends to begin with. This comes as a result of TV shows and internet research only.

In fact, the only regular friend (other than people we befriended through Model A clubs) we have with an old car, he happens to have a 29 Tudor.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post

+1 to that.
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #10
P.S.

We sure don't care what people think. Wife just asked a simple question, I was trying to formulate an answer.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
They are very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one and they are not a status symbol. They are cute liitle cars with possibly a million or so still in existance ! Even though I own many antique cars and 6 Model A's I still realize people don't respect them. I heard a comment at a car show to the affect that anyone can afford a Model A!

Excellent! A real answer. That's all I asked for. Thank you! I'll forward the info to her, this should make sense.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
Napa Skip

The way people act in society has been characterized (by David Riesman, co-author of "The Lonely Crowd") as tradition-directed (acting according to the norms of earlier generations), inner-directed (acting according to their own beliefs, often based on experience) and other-directed (acting in whatever way will gain approval from others; that is, their own self-worth derives from the constant assurance of others that they are acting "correctly" with regard to what they own, consume and believe).

I suspect that most Model "A" owners, besides - in the best Lake Wobegon tradition - all being above average, are inner-directed. We own, drive, repair and maintain our Model "A"s because that's what we like, whether others agree or not.

Besides, they're well engineered and well built.

And they look sharp.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 09-12-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #13
Richard Wilson

Many collectors think of the Model A as an "entry level" collector car. They are easy to find, relatively easy and cheap to restore, and simple to maintain. Most parts are easy to find with a little effort. In the last 40 years many Model A's have become "1-800" cars because of the many ill fitting foreign made reproduction parts. Lots of Model A owners also own other non-Model A collector cars. Personally, I would rather own one good Model A than a dozen Camaros.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #14
Barney

Hi Guys,
I think there are too many A's. And they are not expensive. But it does not bother me when so called collectors do not like A's. When I'm at a car-show, and place my A next to a Rolls Phantom, conjures my A no less smiles in the face of the visitor than the Rolls.
I'm always surprised, like a model A acts on the people. Everyone is smiling, everyone has fun. So it should be.
Greetings from Switzerland
Barney
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
griffincat

They are fun cars at shows. It is fun to let kids sit in them and get their picture taken. They are definatley crowd pleasers.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
ronn

Think of it this way-
every car show Model A's-40 Fords and 57 chevies.... sometimes becomes boring

guy drives up in an Auburn and because they are so rare, everyone drools!

same can be said for totally original cars-put one in a field of restored cars and guess which one everybody migrates too?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Mitch

One time I went to rent storage space from a fellow I used to know. He collected Indian motorcyles and had a few old chevys. He told me that Model A's were like ass...oles, everybody had one. There are other words for some of them than snobs.

Naturally, he did not get my business.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Aok

No answer but if works for me. If A's were a big $$ item I would not be driving one
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #19
griffincat

I'm sure glad I found this place. You A guys and gals are alright!!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Ross/Kzoo

I think that car collectors feel that the potential for large profits doesn't lay in the Model A's. They're looking a quick return on their money. Very little interest in the actual product.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
amodel25

I had a 1928 Gardner owner tell me that he did not mess with Model "A's because they were "too easy".
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 AM   #22
Roadster62

That brings back great memories of a friend with a 1927 Gardner Roadster. He did restore a Model A for a friend as well as many other cars and would say the time to restore a Gardner and a Model A were the same. Back then the sale prices were about double on other cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
I had a 1928 Gardner owner tell me that he did not mess with Model "A's because they were "too easy".
Old 09-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #23
joeypoconos

I think a lot of it has to do with the number of "investors" that entered the hobby years ago. They buy up the big ticket cars, hold on to them for ???? year(s), then turnaround and sell, for what used to be, huge profits.
I would also guess the auction houses look at Model A's as marginal profit items. They would have to sell 100 model A's, to make the same commission as they would selling one Duesenberg or other classic.
I was at a car show with my Model A several years ago. A whole bunch of people were gathered around a full blown classic Packard. I walked up to the owner of the Packard and pointed to my Model A and kiddingly asked "would you like to trade?" He responded "How many of them do you have". Nuff said!
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #24
joeypoconos

Nothing grows faster than Oprah's butt!
joeypoconos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #25
Ghost of elmirage

Well I for one LOVE As!!!!
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #26
tamagrouchy

Just my 2 cents, but I believe the Model A, is regarded in the same way a VW Beetle is. It was (and is) an inexpensive (relatively), reliable car. They aren't fast, flashy, rare and have no bragging value, HOWEVER those of us with them know their worth. I say let the snobs turn their noses up at the Model A, they don't know what they're missing. Besides, at any cruise night, my humble roadster gets as much or more attention as the very expen$ive 60's muscle cars and as other have said, the A brings a smile to every ones face.
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
ford31

I guess you either love em or hate em, I pull our pickup out of garage street is fairly busy, people will holler love your truck,what year is it,wanna sell it,can we look at it,bottom line makes my day
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #28
raceron1120

Quote:
Quote:
Excellent! A real answer. That's all I asked for. Thank you! I'll forward the info to her, this should make sense.
Boy that is a GREAT answer! I don't own one but would someday love to get a Model A - any body style, and as original as possible. Right now it's just another item on my 'bucket list' but I'm hoping.
Re: that they are "...very common, very reasonably priced, many people own more than one..." could just as easily apply to some who have stuck an SBC in their non-Chevies. I don't usually harp on others' cars except in fun, I realize they pay for 'em etc., but I get SO tired of hearing 'excuses' for putting those bellybutton engines in non-GM cars. Perhaps some of the 'snobs' sadly do consider those 'cheap, everybody does it, easier to get parts for, yadda yadda engines' to be a status symbol. Okay for status! I'd take an A or any other Ford with some of Henry's iron pulling it around any day, and never EVER put one of those bellybuttons (or the other anatomical orifice I like to call 'em sometimes ) in my Fords. 2 cents worth, with maybe some change please?
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #29
marty in Ohio

Don't you all think that people collect what they remember? If I still had that '68 Roadrunner that I drove in 1970 it would be worth $75,000 today. Not many people remember the Model A. When I take my '30 town sedan out and people gather to look, I usually ask if "they are looking or remembering." It's the most fun to talk to those who are remembering. It seems like everyone over 70 learned to drive in a car "just like this one."
marty in Ohio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
[email protected]

Years ago my local Illinois Model A club was on a week long tour to the Michigan UP. One night we were at the same motel that a classic Lincoln club from the Detroit area happened to be staying as well. We had a good evening together bonding over our old cars. I noticed several differences between our two groups. We were mostly middle class workers and they were business owners. We were the beer drinkers and they were having martinis. They were amazed that we were on such a long tour as they seemed parinoid that they were to have a break down. I think they had a chase vehicle with a flat bed trailer following them as well. The next day when we were touring around we crossed paths again and sure enough they had a car broken down and no one knew how to fix it. One of their members told me that several of them also owned Model A's as well and he had more FUN driving his Model A over the Lincoln. The members of these two clubs were a lot different and may not have been compatible in any other social meeting. But the love of old cars and of the Hobby cut through the other BS that evening and we all had a great time together... We found that we had more in common then we thought.
modela@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

It's all because of the numbers, plus the fact that its wasn't luxury car. It was only the car next door. But it is a "entry level" car like marijuana is an "entry level" drug. I believe many collectors got their start, fooling around with a modA. Also it's a fun car. Most A's can be sat in and ridden in. Rumble seats are fun for the kids. My grandchildren love to ride in my coupe's rumble seat. But it's "don't touch my 16 cyl Cadillac, or my prized Stoddard Dayton". (Trailer Queens, Grrr)
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #32
400A-64

I get a kick out of people as we have traveled..... "tell me you didn't drive it here" after noticing my California plates !! Along our various journeys we have stayed in various motels with one or two car trailers toteing their "baby" to various shows. As I check our "A" out each evening for the next days drive....folks crowd around the "A" giving the trailer queen a slight notice.
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #33
Randy in Illinois

All good reasons I agree with. I did afew cruise nites with my A and got little interest from the younger crowd, the older guys liked it. My reason is I think the car culture has change the past year. Younger guys think they all should be hot rods or kit cars, if it doesn't have chrome valve covers, big wheels, a tons of clearcoat paiint, it isn't cool now days. I like all cars for what they were in automotive history and in the time we remember them in.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
heneste

I think many prefer the higher performance cars such as Chevelles and Mustangs etc. It could also be the ride comfort as Model A's can be a little bumpy or choppy riding with some of the pothole filled roads today.

Personally, I much prefer the Model A to drive (albeit on fair weather days!)
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #35
BrianBurkert

I own three Model A's and I think I'm the sh*t. :-)
BrianBurkert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
Purdy Swoft

Its probably not the younger generation that act snobby. The model A was built for the common man and was low priced, still is. The real snobs prefer the expensive older cars. A common model A would be below their taste and station in life. This isn't always the case , A couple of years ago, A guy was admiring our roadster and invited Us to sit in the back seat of his Rolls Royce , so that we could see how comfortable it was. That was a first to get to sit in a Rolls Royce!!

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 09-13-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #37
Randy in Illinois

What I can add is some shows/cruise nites gets to be like how much money can you put in to your car, or pay someone to restore it, or buy one than to just drive your car, show your car, apreciate other cars and just have fun. Bless them if they have that kind of doe. but they shouldn't be snobby to others. I like driving my A the best, I have fun at shows and everyone is friendly, but once in awhile someone gets their pants bunch that their car is the Holy Grain. Enjoy the cars and the hobby and others.
Randy in Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #38
ratamahata

Like all programs of this type are made to make money, showing rare and luxurious cars to attract viewers, it's a matter of money to collectors who also want to fill their own museum. if you put "A" models that are cheap, have little resale value tomorrow, however, if placed luxury cars have a gold mine.
The same for the vendors of rare and expensive cars, looking to fill their pockets with the sale of any of these specimens in extinction.

For others it will be a matter of nostalgia, perhaps the first car in which he learned to drive or perhaps their first car.
Some collectors may say, 'look this is my car only 1000 units were manufactured "And I would answer: this is my car look low price, million units were produced for most ordinary people...
ratamahata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #39
griffincat

The positive side to the "A" price is that they are fairly easy to sell. Selling a car for $10,000 is a lot easier than $100,000. It is the same today as it was back then, there are millions of people that can afford them.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #40
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratamahata View Post
...perhaps their first car...
That would be me!
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
WTSHNN

I'll be honest, I think a lot of people in this thread are selling the Model A Hobby short and putting down an important segment of hobbyists.

Yes, the Model A hobby is primarily comprised of every day, run of the mill, middle class people. I am one of them, but there are some tremendous people involved in the Model A hobby that transcend the stereotype. I guess it all depends on what your definition of a "snob" or a 1%'er boils down to. Many of the people who some would consider "snobs" are probably still, every day, run of the mill people.

Did you know there is a US Congressman who is very big into Model A's?

Andy Griffith just passed away and was a huge fan of the A's.

Did you know that a very well known Model A enthusiast was also a doctor for NASA during the 60's? He was part of the team for John Glenn's mission and some of the later Apollo missions. Those who know this man will tell you he is one of the nicest and most genuine people you'll ever meet.

There are a lot of doctors who you'll see at Model A events who you would never know it based on their overalls and well-worn A's.

There are millionaires and people toeing the poverty line who are united together because of the car. I studied this at length back in college when I used MARC as a study of voluntary leisure organizations and the socio-economic differences of the membership. A lot of things came up (it was a 50 page thesis for God's sake) that many people might not have considered.

There are people from every walk of life involved in Model A's. Why I got into Model A's is different than why anyone else got involved in them. Why I got into Model A's and not rat rods, Chevelles, crotch-rockets or any other kind of car is no different than why the people who enjoy those types of vehicles aren't into Model A's.

So, just think the next time you see a Model A, maybe you are actually talking to a snob...
-Tim
WTSHNN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #42
29ModelA

Bah, you guys have lost the focus on what we really should be arguing.

My Model A looks like a pile of poo compared to most of yours, but I parked it next to a restored 30/31 Chevy and I still got more attention. So we may not be better than a Deusey (even in horrible shape), but we are still better than a Chevy!

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #43
Great Lakes Greg

Seems to me that there is a chapter of the VMCCA, (Veteran Motor Car Club of America), that is called the "Nickle Age Group". The cut off date is 1927 just in spite of the Model A. Luckily, and I expect much to they're angst, the Model T owners can still join.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post
Seems to me that there is a chapter of the VMCCA, (Veteran Motor Car Club of America), that is called the "Nickle Age Group". The cut off date is 1927 just in spite of the Model A. Luckily, and I expect much to they're angst, the Model T owners can still join.
That's great........then I can still join with my 1927 Dodge

Anyone want to buy a 1927 Dodge
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
only a snob, would drive a '27 Dodge
I have yet to drive it! That's why it's for sale. It does have class though with those beautiful wood spoked wheels.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #46
Chris H

I believe that another reason that the collectors turn their collective noses up at the Model A is that they are very basic, no frills cars, when compared with the other cars being collected and restored. They still turn heads and get smiles from people.

I recently drove my Model A in to work, a few weeks ago, and had to drive through areas of the city that are not the best parts of town. I have been driving down those same streets for 38 years and have never had anyone wave or smile at me as I drove through. On this particular day, though, I counted at least 6 people that waved, came out and watched, or pulled up and asked questions. People just like seeing them, running on the streets, hearing them ticah tucah along...it brings out the best in them. Maybe inspires old memories...what ever, they enjoy them and I enjoy them too.

Chris
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #47
cpetku

So let's hijack this a little,

How many blow the horn just for fun when driving an A?

I've found that the snob(?) vehicles in parades just drive on by with the crowd talking and pointing. When I go by in the A I give the crowd a honk and they get off on it. Having a friend in the Rumble seat gets people talking as well.

One good AhhhhOOOOGaa and everyone smiles...
cpetku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #48
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post
So let's hijack this a little,

How many blow the horn just for fun when driving an A?

I've found that the snob(?) vehicles in parades just drive on by with the crowd talking and pointing. When I go by in the A I give the crowd a honk and they get off on it. Having a friend in the Rumble seat gets people talking as well.

I do for little kids that are staring at it as I go down the street.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #49
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Tim makes good points in his post.

Alot of my customers have numerous cars of varying makes. Most have at least one Model A in the fleet.

The people who look down on a Model A are most likely jealous that an A Model can do anything asked of it and their fancy Packards and V-16 Cadillacs stay in the garage for fear of breaking down.

I drive some rather expensive cars at my day job from AMG Mercedes to Ferraris to M series BMW's and none of those break the ice better than my Model A (or 50s cars for that matter). It's a built in defense mechanism against snobbery. You have 2 equally good looking girls standing next to each other. One is wearing jeans and a t-shirt, the other in a high dollar outfit with her neck stiff and nose in the air wearing more gold & diamonds than Tiffany. Which one would you talk to?

The Model A evens out the social classes. I get a real kick out of a guy who owns a Ferrari Enzo saying he'd like to take my Model A for a spin.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #50
Napa Skip

In whatever car show our club participates, one of our older members (which in our club means very old) goes out of his way to ask the kids if they want to sit in his roadster and blow the horn. After about the first 10 minutes of this, Milt's car is surrounded by moms, dads and little kids eagerly waiting to sound the horn and have their picture taken. I suspect Milt gets as big a kick out of this as do the kids, but one thing's for sure; at the end of the day I know which car the kids remember...
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #51
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

Collectors sit in their garage and admire their cars. I restored my
31 Model A to drive. Whenever I take the A for a ride I always meet great people and have a ball driving it. I'll take the road thanks.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #52
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I find that the pluses far out weigh the minuses. Driving to the shows, or just to the
store never fails to put a smile on someone's face. As for the snobs----they are not on my radar.

Jack
Old 09-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #53
trulyvintage

Thumbs up TV is not Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalplanedoc View Post
+1 to that.
Agreed ....

TV is not reality - neither is the internet

The real world has many roads in it

Most folks on this forum choose to drive a Ford on em'

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #54
denis4x4

I find it interesting that a lot of posters here are using reverse snobbery to justify A ownership.

Since we're into generalizations, I think that the 99%'ers lack a sense of humor!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #55
Christoph

People in the streets are allways excited to find a pre-WW2 car
driving arround, as this is rare (less survivors over here).
People dont care if its a Duesenberg or an "A".

It really makes my day if i go on a 3rd class street and some animal
spot the A, turn arround and watch the car as long as it can.
Its happens so often and i would give all to know what
the animal "thinks" by than (no matter of sound- the A is calm)
Christoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:06 AM   #56
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napa Skip View Post
In whatever car show our club participates, one of our older members (which in our club means very old) goes out of his way to ask the kids if they want to sit in his roadster and blow the horn. After about the first 10 minutes of this, Milt's car is surrounded by moms, dads and little kids eagerly waiting to sound the horn and have their picture taken. I suspect Milt gets as big a kick out of this as do the kids, but one thing's for sure; at the end of the day I know which car the kids remember...
I let kids crawl all around my CJ2A if I am standing there, If the kids ask their parents first.

I will do the same with the A when we get an interior in it so they can't get tetnus One of the perks if showing a mostly original car that there isn't much paint left.

Old 09-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #57
Tom in SW VA

I think one of the major problems that Model A's are not acccepted in the fact that they are in various degrees of restoration and/modification. I own a fine-point Fordor which I feel is a good candidate as a classic car. The restoration was not cheap, but with today's attitude toward the Model A, I will never realize any monetary return. On the other hand, those who chose to chop, channel, and otherwise modify the Model A, actually demean the car. If the Model A Ford is to ever obtain classic status, the originality must be maintained. How many chopped and channeled Packards or Duesenburgs have you seen?
Tom in SW VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #58
Roadster62

You've explained the same observation I got from the original post better than I could. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
I find it interesting that a lot of posters here are using reverse snobbery to justify A ownership.

Since we're into generalizations, I think that the 99%'ers lack a sense of humor!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:15 AM   #59
Brobrian

One more thought on this topic. The question was about the preferences of car collectors. By nature they'd be after rare valuable cars in the same way art collectors would be after rare valuable art. Some for the status, some for the investment return, and maybe because of the aesthetic appeal. Also, most of our discussion has related to car shows where collectors "show" their rare wares. Maybe model A's don't fit that demographic for the reasons already sited in this thread. Like a lot of you, I like the cars, and they are the coolest car I can afford.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #60
gweilbaker

Dennis, You have nailed it.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #61
Russ B

Post Re: How come "Car Collectors" don't like Model A's?

Collectors in general probably don't like Model A's because they are more common and a poorer investment, but there are probably as many nuanced reasons as there are owner-collectors. Similarly, Model A folks have many of their own personalized reasons for loving Model A's as well.

I have no interest in owning a fine point car or even an accurately restored A, but I am still inclined to spending hundreds of hours doing quality restoration work on certain aspects of my car. But At the same time, I can also be happy to use philips head screws in various "improper" places. My interest in A's is lifelong, but in depth for reasons unique to me. I do what is right for me, and I could care less what others think or might do with their cars. Cars are freedom. Cars are art. Cars are, and represent, many things; but for me each one is unique, and they have never been an investment or anyone else's dream.

The common bond of most all car folks is that they love cars, each in their own way.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #62
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in SW VA View Post
How many chopped and channeled Packards or Duesenburgs have you seen?
Too many !

No Duesenbergs, but I have seen several 1930's Packard rods in my area, as well as a '34 Essex, early '30s Hupmobile, and even a '39 Graham (Spirit of Motion, aka "Sharknose").

One of the Packard owners was actually bragging to anyone who would stand still and listen about "how nice and solid this original car was"... I had to walk away before lost my temper...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #63
Kahuna

Luke wrote:
I drive some rather expensive cars at my day job from AMG Mercedes to Ferraris to M series BMW's and none of those break the ice better than my Model A (or 50s cars for that matter). It's a built in defense mechanism against snobbery. You have 2 equally good looking girls standing next to each other. One is wearing jeans and a t-shirt, the other in a high dollar outfit with her neck stiff and nose in the air wearing more gold & diamonds than Tiffany. Which one would you talk to?

The answer, of course, is talk to the one with the BIG BOOBS
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #64
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
Too many !

No Duesenbergs, but I have seen several 1930's Packard rods in my area, as well as a '34 Essex, early '30s Hupmobile, and even a '39 Graham (Spirit of Motion, aka "Sharknose").

One of the Packard owners was actually bragging to anyone who would stand still and listen about "how nice and solid this original car was"... I had to walk away before lost my temper...
Good thing you walked away before you found out it was "Dutch" Darrin talking to Clark Gable about chopping a Packard! Not only am I worried about the loss of a sense of humor here, I'm beginning to worry that the subject of coach building is a lost cause.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #65
RHD

I think the Model 'A' is just too good for them.
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #66
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Paul,
Try this for an answer for your wife.
My dog told me a story of a man who worked his way UP from a Model A to more & more exotic cars in order to keep his ego inflated!
One morning the man was drooling as he admired his $1,500,000 one of a kind car & discovered that his head wouldn't fit inside & was later picked up by the "Funny Farm Wagon," as he sat in his pool of drool & cried! Bill W.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #67
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
Good thing you walked away before you found out it was "Dutch" Darrin talking to Clark Gable about chopping a Packard! Not only am I worried about the loss of a sense of humor here, I'm beginning to worry that the subject of coach building is a lost cause.

Um, the kind of "custom coachwork" you speak of pretty much died after WW II, if not before.

And, if Clark were talking to Dutch about a custom-bodied Packard, I'm pretty sure they would have started-out with a cowl & chassis, not a complete car.

What gets my blood pressure up is what I feel is an alarming trend for rodders to use decent original survivors or even older restorations as basis for major chop jobs... a gutted hulk that is beyond practical restoration is one thing... but hacking-into a decent vehicle seems wrong to me...

I've also seen a lot of aborted rod attempts sitting in the junkyard... some were carved-up from nice solid originals... sad.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #68
Roadster62

Nothing wrong in my view of things to save time and money and start with the best body you can find. If you were building a Hot Rod in 1955 you most likely had a good body, not somethig that had spent its life outside. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Coupe Frank View Post
What gets my blood pressure up is what I feel is an alarming trend for rodders to use decent original survivors or even older restorations as basis for major chop jobs... a gutted hulk that is beyond practical restoration is one thing... but hacking-into a decent vehicle seems wrong to me...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #69
Special Coupe Frank

I guess I get a little less-upset about a car that there were 4.5 million made getting turned into a hot-rod than some low-production orphan or luxury car...
Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #70
PhoenixFear

I don't understand this. When I go to shows, I see tons of street rod Model As, fiberglass and flashy colors, etc. I hardly ever see a stock or original Model A of any type. How these cars are not "collectable" is beyond me. There might have been a ton made, but either I go to the wrong car shows or people just don't bring the stock ones out.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #71
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
I don't understand this. When I go to shows, I see tons of street rod Model As, fiberglass and flashy colors, etc. I hardly ever see a stock or original Model A of any type. How these cars are not "collectable" is beyond me. There might have been a ton made, but either I go to the wrong car shows or people just don't bring the stock ones out.
PhoenixFear,
First year for Fresno's BIG monthly car shows, 350 to over 400 cars, a few restored Model A's and they seem to attract a lot of lookers & a lot of interesting conversation. I have my avatar car almost ready & will show it next season. Lots of pics at WWW.HOTRODCOALITION.COM Look for yours truly on my racy mobility scooter! Bill W.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #72
glenn in camino

About ten years ago I had two classic Packards, a 28 443 and a 34 1103, and six Model A Fords. I never talked about my Fords with the Packard people because I knew how they felt about what they considered lesser cars, lesser people. Once They actually refered, in print, in their magazine, to people who don't own Packards as The Great Unwashed. That discusted me enough to sell my Packards. Now I'm just a model A Ford guy but I wash every day.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM   #73
Roadster62

I had a 1928 443 Roadster project back in the late 1970's, sold it to buy my 1912 Model T, best move I ever made wheeling & dealing. Bob
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #74
PhoenixFear

I'll try to make it to other shows. I did happen to go to one early Ford show down here at the Town and Country. I was only there for a few minutes but there were a ton of cars to drool over. No one stopped by to talk to me or anything, not sure if that is good or not.
I used to live down the road from where the Packard proving grounds used to be. There's still a Packard Grill restaurant near it. There's a pretty recent-sized car show on the grounds which is really nice, some people would display their chunks of the Packard proving ground road. I never thought the Packard guys were snobby but I never thought to talk to any either.
I don't understand the snobby attitudes of some groups. Shows are all the same, people show off their hard work in their cars, no matter what they are. Some people just show off how much their checkbooks can handle instead it seems.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #75
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpetku View Post
True
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixFear View Post
i noticed that too. i hardly ever see stock ones but i know there is at least one i saw it once.
This is probably why most "A"s that have survived seem to be roadsters or coupes because everyone thought
"Hey look a roadster/coupe i should restore it, it might be the only stock one left"
So many tourer/phaeton things (whatever they were called) seem to be disproportionally rare.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #76
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamagrouchy View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I believe the Model A, is regarded in the same way a VW Beetle is. It was (and is) an inexpensive (relatively), reliable car. They aren't fast, flashy, rare and have no bragging value, HOWEVER those of us with them know their worth. I say let the snobs turn their noses up at the Model A, they don't know what they're missing. Besides, at any cruise night, my humble roadster gets as much or more attention as the very expen$ive 60's muscle cars and as other have said, the A brings a smile to every ones face.
Yep Try using some of the collector cars like we use out Model A's. I just did a car club run today and did 100 miles in my Phaeton effortlessly. Not worth as much as other makes but more motorable. I also have a 1910 Hupmobile which I love . It is worth much more than my A , is a huge hit at car shows but has very limited performance, parts are non existent and every time I take it out I wonder if I'm going to get home and if I don't then how am I going to fix it! Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #77
Al 29Tudor

I'm so new at the model "A" game I didn't know people didn't like them. Every place I go people gather round to look and ask all about it. I guess these are not aficionados. I sure like my 29 Tudor. I can afford it and I can fix it. Every time I walk to the garage door and open it just to have a look at it, I walk away with a s--- eaten grin a mile wide.
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #78
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
I'm so new at the model "A" game I didn't know people didn't like them.

My wife wondered why the "car snobs" don't seem to like them. Some of the replies here put together have sufficiently answered her question. It's not that she now understands, but she has an idea now.

Personally, I think the Model A car crowd is fantastic. Everyone we've met in person in the clubs, on tours, etc. has been kind, helpful, and just all around nice. Not too many car snobs like that.

The car snobs I met at a local car show that our car was in once were just over the top snobs. She was aking why.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #79
pat in Santa Cruz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Lakes Greg View Post

in 1995 the cutoff date for the Nickel Age Group was changed to from 1916 through 1934.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #80
Karl

Our vintage car club defines vintage as from 1919 to 1931. I suspect the later date was to set to accomodate the Model A. Interestingly enough yesterday on our run I was for a time following a 1929 Bentley Blower . Lovely car valued in the millions of dollars however was going no faster than us and he got awfully lost . In the end he followed my humble model A for half the rally to get him safely to the final check point. Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #81
figment

If you were at the Auburn Indiana Auction Sept 1 & 2 you would have seen several people that really liked the Model A Ford. I have listed only the cars that SOLD over $15000.00. 30 Town sedan $36850 , 31 Roadster $33550 , another Roadster for $28600 , 28 Tow truck $27500 , 30 Sedan delivery $23925 , 31 Cabriolet $23100 , 29 Pheaton $20900. Plus more. www.auctionsamerica.com Check it out these Model A.s were original restorations NOT hot rods. This will probably start a reverse conversation!!
figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:09 PM   #82
bart78

I love the cars stock or a traditional hot rod not street rod. I don't think they get the attention from the car collectors mainly because they are not a rare car. No matter how much we love them I think the model a and the model t will allways be seen this way. Even the small town I live in has a ton of them running around. And even more in barns and what ever else they can put them in.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #83
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by figment View Post
If you were at the Auburn Indiana Auction Sept 1 & 2 you would have seen several people that really liked the Model A Ford. I have listed only the cars that SOLD over $15000.00. 30 Town sedan $36850 , 31 Roadster $33550 , another Roadster for $28600 , 28 Tow truck $27500 , 30 Sedan delivery $23925 , 31 Cabriolet $23100 , 29 Pheaton $20900. Plus more. www.auctionsamerica.com Check it out these Model A.s were original restorations NOT hot rods. This will probably start a reverse conversation!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Best news I've heard in quite a while!!
That is good news. I seem to see more Model A's at events that have no judging. As the judges are hot rod guys they pass over a good looking A for a rod. We went to an event with over 300 cars. In our group there was a 1915 T Couplet. Past national award winner, made only a few months that year, by far the rarest stock vehicle there and not even a mention of it at award time.

They just don't know about these cars!

As for Jay Leno not having an A, I like to tell people that "with all the cars Jay has, he doesn't have one of these. Would you like to sit in it?"
Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #84
denis4x4

"That is good news. I seem to see more Model A's at events that have no judging. As the judges are hot rod guys they pass over a good looking A for a rod. We went to an event with over 300 cars. In our group there was a 1915 T Couplet. Past national award winner, made only a few months that year, by far the rarest stock vehicle there and not even a mention of it at award time."

Stock Model A's have trophied several times at the Scottsdale Goodguys rod and custom show in the fall. This is a three day show with over 2500 cars.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #85
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post

As for Jay Leno not having an A, I like to tell people that "with all the cars Jay has, he doesn't have one of these. Would you like to sit in it?"

Good one !

From conversations in interviews with other car guys, I believe Jay has alluded to owning an A or two in his younger days, when he was still on the East Coast....

I'll bet he'll glom onto one sooner or later...

( I have to wonder though, if an A is just too tight for his, shall we say, "ergonomics" ? )

SC Frank
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #86
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
Here is a racy mobility scooter Bill.

Four wheels, black fenders, big headlights and a rumble seat
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 AM   #87
mach0415

A child has a pretty cool sense of pureness and objectivity, when it comes to the way they see things in life. When I was young (3years old), my grandfather recognized I had an uncanny eye and love for classic cars, especially from the 1920s and 1930s. We would sit and look at classic car calendar pics for long periods of time. From the time I was young, I had a love for A's, among the Durants, Desotos, Plymouths, Buicks, LaSalles, etc, the list goes on... So, I judge cars not by their color, but by the content of their character. A's have lots of character.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 AM   #88
inex01

Most people where I live do have respect for the Model A. I live in a area close to DC and the majority of time at Cruise-Ins my old Model A is the car that people gather around. Last Saturday a guy shoed up with a new Mercedes Gullwing and guess what ? his car was hardly noticed, the week before a new red 330K Ferriera with 900 miles on it showed up and you guessed it most people paid more attention to my car. There are so fer cars that are stock in that are 80 plus years old and people seem to be much more interrested in seeing a real car that is completely stock that they can even sit in a have there picture taken. So I guess I am lucky as my old Model A does have respect even from the Mercedes & Ferriea owners. (Sorry for my poor spelling)
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #89
Burb52

Real car people will appriciate any old car for something regardless of condition. Rat rods are becoming very popular because they are all different. Paint an A resale red, put a small block in it and now it becomes more useable, valuable and collectable.
Burb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #90
dumb person

Think again.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #91
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb52 View Post
Real car people will appriciate any old car for something regardless of condition. Rat rods are becoming very popular because they are all different. Paint an A resale red, put a small block in it and now it becomes more useable, valuable and collectable.
Unfortunately it is not an A anymore. It is a nothing car that is mostly a Model A.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #92
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by inex01 View Post
Most people where I live do have respect for the Model A. I live in a area close to DC and the majority of time at Cruise-Ins my old Model A is the car that people gather around. Last Saturday a guy shoed up with a new Mercedes Gullwing and guess what ? his car was hardly noticed, the week before a new red 330K Ferriera with 900 miles on it showed up and you guessed it most people paid more attention to my car. There are so fer cars that are stock in that are 80 plus years old and people seem to be much more interrested in seeing a real car that is completely stock that they can even sit in a have there picture taken. So I guess I am lucky as my old Model A does have respect even from the Mercedes & Ferriea owners. (Sorry for my poor spelling)
Chuck,
Whut pore spelin'?? You did GOOD!! Bet u could spel Ugo, Wipit, (not the dog) Tyota, Toyoput, Shevrolet, Opul, Staaar, LuLu, (only 2 made, honest!), Gogogomobile, and Citron, (Not the puckery melon growin' in the cotton!)
We should all trie to git our grammur as guud as yore spellin,' then wee'd be off-A-RUNNIN'!
Speakin' of RESPECT, I dont get No respect, except frum my DOG! I bought 2 NEW kordless fones, with long lastin' Mercury Iodine Batterys, & nobuddy calls!! I dont even no what the RING TONE sounds like. Cindy, bless her heart, got me a new POCKET phone, but I lost my OOGAH ringer from the old phone, DRATS! that sucker cost me $1.99, bought it on the NET with PLASTIC, thot I'd have to wait for U.P.S, but they just "ZAPPED" it to my fone so's I didnt hav to pay shipping.
Cindys I-POD "listened" to the music playin' in Pepa's Metcican Resturant while we dinned, she pushed a button, the I-POD "named that tune," named the Band, showd a pic, (IN COLOR) of the band & where u could buy it with "PLASTIC" on the NET!! AMAZIN'!------bUT DON'T WURRY, i'VE MASTERED all THU cONTROLS ON vERMIN, mY '29 Koupe! See, I CAN be SERIUS! Bill W.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #93
dumb person

Quote:
Unfortunately it is not an A anymore. It is a nothing car that is mostly a Model A.
Don't forget that it is not collectable or more valuable nor usable, who comes up with that myth? Who can afford to fuel a thing like that? If they were usable i would see the fibreglass one i see around being used more.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #94
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgarage View Post
wtf?
Ditto. Maybe to much ex-lax.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #95
rosenkranswa

We have a nice "spread" of pre-war Fords - Model T, A, and early V8. Purely observational, but the old car folks tend to be a little nicer than the customs and rodders. Within the old car folks the "true" classic folks - high end stuff - are a mixed bag of snobs and good people. T folks tend to have more fun, A and early V8 are a bit more serious, but generally very good folks.

We had our '42 Tudor at a WWII event yesterday, had a wonderful time - lots of very good and thoughtful questions from young and old alike. One fellow was looking for a '37 to '41 car but thought the Fords would be too expensive. He mentioned that all his buddies were into rods and customs and he had been to several rod and custom shows which he found appalling between the language and the backbiteing. Went to one pre-war only show and had the opposite experience.

Bottom-line I think is that there are good people everywhere, and there are stinkers too. The media tends to focus on the stinkers, they're what sell ad time.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #96
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Ditto. Maybe to much ex-lax.
Double Ditto but some people try to make themselves look better at somebodys else expense ! Or maybe that should be sumbuddies !
Old 11-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #97
spike31

Thank God Model A's are common, reasonably priced, and not a staus symbol. I'm one of those hard working common men that would never have been able to enjoy this wonderful hobby had it not been for Model A's. It took me 32 years to build mine, one dollar at at a time.
spike31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #98
Tinbasher

The funny thing is, most collectors started with a Model A!! That's the experience I've found over the last 35 years. Just have some fun, life's too short.

The Old Tinbasher
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #99
lance leblanc

Being in the auction business, it allows me the oportunity to sit in and sometimes drive many rare and not so rare cars and customs, restored and original. I've driven a Chip Foose built '39 roadster and an unrestored completely original '29 Ponitac Sedan, dozens of Corvettes, Mustangs, Customs, Muscles, Italians, Trucks and an Amphicar. But time and again it is the original cars (not just As) that are drivers that create the buzz and excitement.
My A is not ready for Touring yet but this past weekend I drove a friends Four Door on a 180 mile trip and the reaction from the people watching the car go by is one reason why I love my A.
"I never had anyone stand on the side of the road and clap as I drove my '69 SS Chevelle by".
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #100
ronn

I am smiling at this thread- have several different cars and a couple of A's in the lot. I am reading
how inexpensive A's are. Well, last year I decided I wanted a towncar and hadn't a clue as to their rarity and cost. Started a thread on it as a matter of fact....
Well, I ended up buying a 31 Pierce Arrow for about a 10th of the cost of a true A towncar.
Sometimes things are inverse as to what they seem....
Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #101
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike31 View Post
Thank God Model A's are common, reasonably priced, and not a staus symbol. I'm one of those hard working common men that would never have been able to enjoy this wonderful hobby had it not been for Model A's. It took me 32 years to build mine, one dollar at at a time.

Here, here !

Interesting that over 80 years after the Model A and Model T went out of production, they are still fulfilling Old Henry's purpose as a "car for the multitudes"... or at least the working-man...

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #102
kp

Took my 31 coupe to a small car show few weeks ago ,there was about 15 or so cars,one was an old 26 studebaker in good original shape,along with several so called Classic cars,my car is purty much original ,it got more attention then the others,I think because it has original type interior and exterior paint tho it has an older off the frame restoration.I guess it depends on the age of the attendees.But I never feel slighted about it being a cheap Model A .I guess you just have to be a Model A owner and driver to feel Proud to own one,I do have a hot rod and an old truck also.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #103
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'm HAPPY that I have the second nicest "A" that I ever owned, had to sell the first nicest for needed $$$$$$$ If I had MEGA bucks, would I get a REAL EXOTIC car?? I don't think so! I'm as happy as a PIG IN A POKE!! Or a CHICKEN IN A TOE SACK! (Or a small tree frog doin' the backstroke in Chief's toilet, never figgered' out how he got there??Maybe he was a "Plumber's Helper"???) Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 11-05-2012 at 02:54 PM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #104
Scott Owens

I sold a beautiful Matador Red 1957 Convertible Bel Air this year so I could invest in some more Model As and Ts. Go figure.
Scott Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #105
C26Pinelake
BANNED

It has been my experience at car shows that the " A crowd " is the older crowd that have at least celebrated their 60th birthday ! This group is dyeing off and the majority of people at the shows are likely in their 30 and 40's and they are interested in the cars they remember. Bottom line is there is room for both but us. " A " worshippers are definitely in the minority and getting
smaller every day. There are a lot more names in the obituaries of people aged over 60 than there people in their 30 and 40's. Simple math as I see it.
Wayne
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #106
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
It has been my experience at car shows that the " A crowd " is the older crowd that have at least celebrated their 60th birthday ! This group is dyeing off and the majority of people at the shows are likely in their 30 and 40's and they are interested in the cars they remember. Bottom line is there is room for both but us. " A " worshippers are definitely in the minority and getting
smaller every day. There are a lot more names in the obituaries of people aged over 60 than there people in their 30 and 40's. Simple math as I see it.
Wayne
Wayne,
Observation: Many of the street rodders/hot rodders in my area are oooold too, they didn't "cut" my "stock" '30 coupe 'cause they knew I loved it! One guy spotted a problem on my car and said, "My car had this problem & here's how I fixed it----------Come over sometimes and I'll help you fix yours."
Some bought their rods already built and like to see how like cars were before being "altered." (Not likening it to a sex change!!) Bill W.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #107
Jim Huseby

After reading all the posts on this thread, I came to realize that since I have gravitated away from restoring upper scale cars(where most of the owners were truly wonderful people) to mostly Model A's, I've only encountered two idiots. One goes around lying about his knowledge and experience with Model A's (watch out for him) and the other one thinks his '29 tudor is a status symbol(I haven't seen him around for some years). It appears to me that attempts at snobbery in the Model A crowd just don't work. I think we're just enjoying our friendships and hobby too much to ruin it for anyone.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #108
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Wayne,
Observation: Many of the street rodders/hot rodders in my area are oooold too, they didn't "cut" my "stock" '30 coupe 'cause they knew I loved it! One guy spotted a problem on my car and said, "My car had this problem & here's how I fixed it----------Come over sometimes and I'll help you fix yours."
Some bought their rods already built and like to see how like cars were before being "altered." (Not likening it to a sex change!!) Bill W.
Bill I agree the old guys show appreciation for the young guys cars ! it is the young guys that have no time for the old guys' cars ! The young guy wants a car that goes fast, has great sound and air conditioning ( Everything a Model A isn't ) . Wayne
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #109
53F100Jeffie

I consider myself a collector. I love Fords, didn't start out that way still like some Brand X cars and trucks. My dad bought a 35 5W back in the eighties, something he always wanted after waiting for decades. He eventually sold it to a friend he was ill and knew he couldn't enjoy or drive it any more.
At the time I fell in love with a 1950 F1 pickup. I eventually found a 48 F1 from North Carolina, which I sold this year. I also have a 53 F100, which I really love, a 1949 F1 Panel and my wife has a first year Mustang.
I have been riding in Model A's for over twenty years as my father in law drives, builds and restores Model A cars and trucks. When my wife and I got married, we rode to our wedding in a 1931 Model A standard roadster. I drove it in my sister in law's wedding. My father in law has a beautiful 1930 Pickup that will eventually be my son's truck as he is the only grandson.
A few years ago he acquired a 1930 Woody Wagon, which we use to go get ice cream. It always turns heads. What a fun car...
This year I acquired a 1929 Fordor Sedan. I drove that car just about every day this summer. My wife called it my new girlfriend. I love driving that thing, and the Aa-oo-gah horn just does it for me. I beep that thing at people all the time.They all smile and wave back. I just tucked it in the barn for the winter and before I turned the key off, I hit the horn twice, because I know it would be a long time before I will hear it again.
The Model A has class, beauty and that great horn. I think the Model A helped get America through the Depression, and the cars were loved and cared for, because of that.
My .02,
Jeff

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #110
dfclimber

This commercial from the1970s did not help one bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA99GsXC3wI&sns=em
Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #111
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfclimber View Post

Gosh; I don't remember that commercial... was that Orson Welles narrating ?

Neat idea behind the advert; too bad the Pinto developed such an unfortunate reputation...

My brother's first car was a '73 Pinto wagon, that he eventually gave to my father... who was still driving it in 1985... when he finally got rid of it, it had over 250,000 miles on it... and was still running (2.0 liter OHC four).... but it was developing transmission problems and had terminal cancer...

I wonder if Model A's were as unloved in the 1950's as the Pinto seems to be today ?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:27 AM   #112
denis4x4

My neighbor worked for a couple of the largest collections in SoCal before moving to Durango. Told him about this thread and he said it would be difficult to name a major collection or collector that didn't have at least a couple of A's, including several in Europe.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:51 AM   #113
dave in australia

I'm a member of three different clubs. One specifically A, another for anything over 25 yrs and the other a local car museum car club. I have come across snobery from non A owners, as well as A owners. I don't think it is what car they own, just their own personality. In one club, we have one person who owns some very rare and exotic vintage cars, Bugatti etc, and he does not have a snob bone in his body, and likes to talk to and meet anybody and everybody. Then in the same club, we have a person who likes to run down any A or T, and all he owns are vintage Dodges. I still treat him the same as any one else, because I don't like the snob thing, and will talk to him about his cars and ignore his snide anti A comments.
I've also found no Anti restored car snobery with rodders down under either, and talking to them expands my friendship basis and then I can learn about different things from them to aid in any car work I do.
How does this answer the original question, well it doesn't, but life is too short to care about such things.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #114
Ross/Kzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfclimber View Post

Model A owners get "fired up" in a different way than Pinto owners do.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #115
ronn

I want a Pinto! Remember Dad letting me drive the brand new Pinto down the road and through the nieghborhood. I was 13.... It was auto, brown in color with a beautiful beige interior.
Thought I was driving a go cart I was having so much fun!

Dad dumped it a few months later.... guess the gas mileage wasn't worth it to him.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #116
P.S.

Not only has my question been answered, but I have also learned a LOT from you guys.

It appears that some of you live in areas similar to mine with "car snobs" mostly belonging to the non-A crowd, while some of you are in areas where the A's do get respect.

Have also heard from some hot rodders that are indeed truly nice people. Unfortunately, in this area, the rodders have all been rude, obnoxious, disrespectful types. It must be a northern California rodder thing.

I happened by a pretty large car show last month where there were 2 fairly stock Model A's. The A's were sequestered into the farthest back corner of the show, with no outdoor lighting or activities. Couldn't even hear the music. There were probably over 100 cars there, and all but 5 were hot rods.

Thanks a lot for responding!
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #117
BILL WILLIAMSON

Some get the "Big head syndrome" when spending big bucks on a MOST RARE CAR, some of it is brand NAME loyalty, and that loyalty is GOOD. There's probably collectors of PEZ DISPENSERS or VACUUM CLEANERS out there with BIG HEADS!
As an oooold street rodder & drag racer, I like to appreciate the skill & ingenuity in the construction of other's cars, amazing! Some of them are amazed at what WE'VE done in restoring pieces of CRAP & made a really beautiful, driveable original machine!
Mercedes owner "BRAGGED" about spendin' $2,377.77 to tune his car, Ole' Bill retorted, "Should have brought it over house & I could have done it for $237.77 and we could afford BEER for a MONTH!" (BURP!) Bill W.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #118
lance leblanc

Quote:
Wayne
When the wife and I attend the monthly meetings of our Red Stick Model A Club. She jokes that we bring the average age down 20 yrs. Still in our 40's we have a great deal of respect and admiration for the elder members and their experience with the A's and life as well.
Our 29 Tudor has been it the family since '59 and I cant wait for the day when I can put my father-in-law back behind the wheel of his old daily driver. But for now when we attend the shows and compare the Hot Rods, Muscle cars and the A's I like the look of disbelief when I tell them what the value of the A's are vs most everything else. I think that more than anything else will inspire the youger generation to become interested in A's.
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #119
dfclimber

I think "Model Aers" come in different shapes, colors and types - The Chopped and Channeled brightly painted show cars, Rat Rod, "Original Restored Show Car" with every part correct down to the correct rivet in the proper color and finish (owners sometimes dressing in period clothing) and then those enjoy their Drivers or "GO Cars".

An 82 year old car spans enough generations to mean different things to different people.

For me, I inherited my Model A from my Grandmother. I rode in the rumble seat as a little kid in the parade, worked on it with my dad as a teenager and now drive it around with my kids and work on it with my 6 year old.

PS - Does anyone know the judging standards for the cotter pin that hangs down from the flywheel hole?..........Just kidding.

We may not have the most sought after car to "collectors" but at least we have one of the largest and best online communities with the largest wealth of knowledge
Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #120
glenn in camino

You know your club's in trouble when the national magazine often features obituaries of members. OLD ( prewar) car enthusiasm is going away in favor of Corvetts and muscle cars
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #121
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
You know your club's in trouble when the national magazine often features obituaries of members. OLD ( prewar) car enthusiasm is going away in favor of Corvetts and muscle cars
Glen,
Old car enthusiasm going away??? About as likely as chocolate shakes & beer becoming EXTINCT! I think as they get even older, they will be even more prized. There's so many Model A's out there & so many people are aware of their history & Ford Motor Company history & about Henry Ford, "THE MAD INVENTOR!" Bill W.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #122
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Glen,
Old car enthusiasm going away??? About as likely as chocolate shakes & beer becoming EXTINCT! I think as they get even older, they will be even more prized. There's so many Model A's out there & so many people are aware of their history & Ford Motor Company history & about Henry Ford, "THE MAD INVENTOR!" Bill W.
If you were to attend a Barrette-Jackson auction 20 years ago, there would have been a number of brass era cars going across the block. The collectors that appreciated those vehicles have died off and B-J no longer sells them. The sale of one of six Ford house cars for only $24,000 is a peek into the future. The market for cars built in the 1930's is shrinking as is the cars built in the 1940's.

Demographics are such that the buyers for Model A's are slowing shrinking. Don't forget that the postings on Fordbarn are biased and in the overall scheme of things, a lot of car collectors are liquidating.

Check back in 2025 and I suspect that Camaros and Mustangs built in the 1960's and 1970's will suffer the same fate.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #123
SDJason

I'm hoping that in another 15 years or so, as the Model A reaches its centennial mark, there'll be some renewed interest in them (in their more-or-less original state, NOT as a chopped apart shell that's been hot or rat rodded)
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #124
Mike Peters

I've got several Model A's as well as newer antique cars, as new as a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado. I can drive that big Caddy all day and hardly anyone looks, but people will break their arms off waving at one of my Model A's when we're out on the road. In fact, we hardly drive the Cadillac any more. A's are more fun. Gotta get away from this computer and get some work done on our Model A.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #125
ljones44

Most of the car collectors are just that. Very few actually work on their vehicles. Most of the owners of Model A's know every bolt and nut on their car several times over.

I'm a street rodder but my car is a Model A and rest assured I know every inch of my car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Pictures 001.jpg (99.9 KB, 16 views)
ljones44 is offline   Reply With Quote